New Generals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
    I hear there has been a few big changes in the soon to be general area, with some people getting promoted, while others get moved sideways.
    Can anyone confirm?
    With the way things are at the minute and the lack of information flow, you may as well ask for the lotto numbers because its anyone's guess as to what is happening.

Plenty of new Senior Officer and NCO appointments coming down the tracks but no indication as to corps/stream/location. Some will be filled by promotion, some by EOI, others by posting.

Comment

• If successful Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Seán Clancy, will leave his role in Ireland work permanently as the chair of the European Union Military Committee.

Comment

• Please tell me they are just putting his name forward for the sake of doing so, and don't seriously think he will get it, especially after the debacle at the Munich Conference??
        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTU View Post

Please tell me they are just putting his name forward for the sake of doing so, and don't seriously think he will get it, especially after the debacle at the Munich Conference??
          Mark Mellett was put forward for the same position during his tenure as CoS. I'd say you are right, they are nominating as they have someone to nominate. However, much like Irelands bid for the EU Anti Money Laundering Agency and the EU Medicines Agency (Post Brexit move), we are not seen as being serious players, so Lt. Gen. Clancy's application will be sent up, but is unlikely to get serious consideration. This is no slight on the man himself, I am sure he would make a fantastic candidate for the role, but Ireland is viewed as a minnows in European Defence.

Until Ireland is hitting 1% GDP on defence, and is seen to be able to be a reliable partner in defending ourselves and Europe, an Irish CoS being Chairman of the European Union Military Committee is an utter pipe dream.

What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post

Mark Mellett was put forward for the same position during his tenure as CoS. I'd say you are right, they are nominating as they have someone to nominate. However, much like Irelands bid for the EU Anti Money Laundering Agency and the EU Medicines Agency (Post Brexit move), we are not seen as being serious players, so Lt. Gen. Clancy's application will be sent up, but is unlikely to get serious consideration. This is no slight on the man himself, I am sure he would make a fantastic candidate for the role, but Ireland is viewed as a minnows in European Defence.

Until Ireland is hitting 1% GDP on defence, and is seen to be able to be a reliable partner in defending ourselves and Europe, an Irish CoS being Chairman of the European Union Military Committee is an utter pipe dream.
            Poland spends 4% of GDP on defence. That's how to take it seriously.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post

Poland spends 4% of GDP on defence. That's how to take it seriously.
              It's all relative. I think we'd have very different perspective on our spend on defence if Ireland was suddenly wedged into the Baltic Sea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post

It's all relative. I think we'd have very different perspective on our spend on defence if Ireland was suddenly wedged into the Baltic Sea.
                You're right, and a persons perspective is their reality. But our perspective in Ireland has been that Neutrality will protect us from all eventualities, the reality is that our Neutrality is dependent on other Nations picking up our slack.

The public debate on Defence in Ireland lacks informed voices for the most part, and any mention of Defence issues is viewed as an attempt to erode Neutrality, and not to enhance and protect it. we only need to look at the usual talking heads that are wheeled out to comment when questions on Defence arise in national media to see how serious the issue is taken. The Forum on Defence run last year was an opportunity to bring public focus to the defence issues facing Ireland, instead, the chair was attack by no less than the President, and at times, the events devolved into farce by the usual suspects who demanded their uninformed opinions be listened to.

With the Secretary of Defence in the UK declaring that we are no longer in a Post War environment, and the French President declaring that the EU, and Europe as a whole needs to refocus on our collective defensive posture, the open back door that is Irish Defence Policy can not be allowed to continue.
                What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post

Agreed, no disrespect to Lt Gen Clancy was intended and I understand the you have to be in it to win it mentality, but lets be realistic and save the embarrassment of looking/begging for votes.
                  They also lost out on the European Banking Authority post Brexit and people in power assumed that some sort of sympathy in the EU in regard to Brexit would get them at least one of them. I also am starting to think the UNSC election and the Eurogroup Presidency success has gone to some people's head.
                  Last edited by CTU; 7 March 2024, 20:24.
                  It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
                  It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
                  It was a new age...It was the end of history.
                  It was the year everything changed.

Comment

• We really need to decouple neutrality and failure to provide for defence of the State

while membership of a mutual defence clause organisation maybe a partial means to provide for the defence of the State, it doesn’t excuse you having to provide for your own defence

being neutral also doesn’t excuse you from providing for your own defence

Comment

Working...
                    X