No announcement yet.

New Generals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read also that his late father was a Flight Sergeant in the Air Corps. This should further improve the intra-df cooperation.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Had the absolute pleasure of meeting Rear Admiral Mellet recently. I can see where the comparison's with Lt Gen Earley came from.

Very impressed.

Comment

• Who will the new DCOS be?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

Well thats Mark Mellett more or less guaranteed as next COS and historically first Naval Service officer to reach that appointment. Vice Admiral!

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
            Well thats Mark Mellett more or less guaranteed as next COS and historically first Naval Service officer to reach that appointment. Vice Admiral!
            Hopefully but no guarantee, Dermot Earley was DCOS for only 4 months

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Hopefully but no guarantee, Dermot Earley was DCOS for only 4 months
              Yes but all ahead of him were due to retire. By my calculations, R/Adm Mellett is only in his mid to late 50s, with mandatory retirement age a long way off. There are few others in the general staff who are more junior to him in age.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Cue the Army about to get f**ked over.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• How so?

Comment

• Lt Gen O'Boyle is due to retire in September I believe, he's keeping the CoS chair warm for Maj Gen Finn.

Comment

• Age it all depends on

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Cue the Army about to get f**ked over.
                        I doubt that greatly. R/Adm Mellett after all, Started his military career in 11 Cav. He has made it his business to get to know anyone who has been on the C&S course since about 2005. He keeps his ears open to what people at that level are thinking. Since he took over as D/CoS has there been any difference to how his end of the operation is run, in favour of the NS, indeed, given that the retiring other DCOS is Air Corps I don't see them to be getting any special favour either.

Face it. We are an Island with a short but relatively secure land border with a friendly on the other side of it. There is three arms to the Defence force. Logic dictates that the distribution should be less 6:1:1 and more 4:2:2, if not even 3:3:3. Generals don't decide policy though. They just implement it.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                          I doubt that greatly. R/Adm Mellett after all, Started his military career in 11 Cav. He has made it his business to get to know anyone who has been on the C&S course since about 2005. He keeps his ears open to what people at that level are thinking. Since he took over as D/CoS has there been any difference to how his end of the operation is run, in favour of the NS, indeed, given that the retiring other DCOS is Air Corps I don't see them to be getting any special favour either.

Face it. We are an Island with a short but relatively secure land border with a friendly on the other side of it. There is three arms to the Defence force. Logic dictates that the distribution should be less 6:1:1 and more 4:2:2, if not even 3:3:3. Generals don't decide policy though. They just implement it.
                          Small correction - 5 Cav Sqn
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                            Lt Gen O'Boyle is due to retire in September I believe, he's keeping the CoS chair warm for Maj Gen Finn.
                            Maj Gen Finn, Retired surely. If not he is well due for it. He is at least 63.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                              Small correction - 5 Cav Sqn
                              Always got them mixed up.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                                Always got them mixed up.
                                Ah now - one was West, the other East...
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X