No announcement yet.

New Generals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now after years of re-org and disruption to significant numbers of personnel's careers and families we are looking down the barrel of that again.The NS when not at sea are based in one location. Haulbowline(unless the rumoured plan for galway goes ahead).No disruption to people who live in Cork or Cobh or Ringaskiddy.The NS are getting their ducks in a row alright.
    Dunno about Galway, other than proximity to the west coast which is only a few hours steaming away from Haulbowline, makes very little sense.

But yes I do think a One Brigade army is on the cards and I do think it will be operated from a centralised location with the closure of most of the existing barracks outside that location and gain your timing could be spot on.The NS's compact size and singular locations makes it less vulnerable to major change.I think there have been enough changes in the Df in the recent past that people who don't consider the future options that the DF may exercise may find them selves having to cut short their careers.

I you look at the profile of persons in the NS, proportionally the amount of people who have enlisted in the past 35 years , the greater number are from outside the greater Cork area and resettled during their careers to the area. Very few return to their place of origin having complete anything greater than 12 years of service. The amount of Dublin accents in Cobh used to be cruel!

The RN designed HAulbowline as a purpose built Naval Base because of its location which was enhanced by its natural surroundings, Where is is more ideal and what would be the incentive to relocate there given the natural advantages Haulbowline has? Given the proximity to the patrol areas, why fix it if it ain't broke?

I got a brief offf a "Fish head"(Your word not mine) the other day.Best brief on the subject matter I ever heard.No problem reporting to him or his ilk.Typical small service paranoia coming out there methinks.
    Yup 'fishead' is the generic term given to the NS by the army when speaking about them in the negative, there are those who will use the term more freely when referring to the NS in the future should their boss wear a White cap with his uniform, reality.

While you may be open minded on the subject, the traditionalists will always take issue, but its the reality and they have to deal with it.I would hate to think that inter service rivalry might be misconstrued as paranoia ,

Personally I don't give a shit once the job is done well. Some of the candidates in the past have been some what lacking to say the least.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Who did the canvassing for the NS at the General Staff meetings during the boom?, nobody because they didnt want FOCNS at it. They had no ionterest in discussing Naval matters at said meetings, hence no new NS vessels during period 2002-2008. I think the change that has come in the last 5 years with both AC & NS officers at DFHQ level is better the organisation as a whole. We should be a more integrated DF as a whole. FFS half the Army dont know the NS ranks!!!. I mean this is basic recruit training stuff. 1 Brigade will improve the Army IMO, the NS & AC need to be invested in heavily also to provide a proper maritime and air aid to the Army.

I hope that Ralph James and Mark Mellet are not the last AC & NS officers we see at DCOS & COS level.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
        The top quote from Na Ghromiti explains a lot of the Armys concerns at the present time.It is very likely that DoD will try to bring is to a one brigade structure within a few years of the next general election.But the writing is on the wall that that will be achieved by increasing the size of the NS and AC and downsizing the Army IOT stay within the ECF figures.Now after years of re-org and disruption to significant numbers of personnel's careers and families we are looking down the barrel of that again.The NS when not at sea are based in one location. Haulbowline(unless the rumoured plan for galway goes ahead).No disruption to people who live in Cork or Cobh or Ringaskiddy.The NS are getting their ducks in a row alright.
        I doubt there will be much change in the size Air Corps or Naval Service manpower, the Air Corps aircraft fleet is sadly continuing to get smaller, the Naval Service's new vessels have smaller crews and fisheries patrols have been cut by about 20% in the last few years.
        Where change is needed is not a shift in manpower for the Air Corps and Naval Service but an increase their military capabilities.

Typical small service paranoia coming out there methinks.
        Delusions from people who have never served either the Army or Naval Service.

Comment

• Was it not because the oldest vessel had been replaced and the fleet had just been increased by 14%?

Oh and under the 30 rule the next vessel wasn't due to be replaced till 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
            I doubt there will be much change in the size Air Corps or Naval Service manpower, the Air Corps aircraft fleet is sadly continuing to get smaller, the Naval Service's new vessels have smaller crews and fisheries patrols have been cut by about 20% in the last few years.
            Where change is needed is not a shift in manpower for the Air Corps and Naval Service but an increase their military capabilities.

Delusions from people who have never served either the Army or Naval Service.
            Your last quote doesn't make sense, given it came from a serving Soldier, speaking of other serving soldiers...
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
              Your last quote doesn't make sense, given it came from a serving Soldier, speaking of other serving soldiers...
              I wasn't referring to him.

Comment

• So now it makes less sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post

The top quote from Na Ghromiti explains a lot of the Armys concerns at the present time.It is very likely that DoD will try to bring is to a one brigade structure within a few years of the next general election.But the writing is on the wall that that will be achieved by increasing the size of the NS and AC and downsizing the Army IOT stay within the ECF figures.Now after years of re-org and disruption to significant numbers of personnel's careers and families we are looking down the barrel of that again.The NS when not at sea are based in one location. Haulbowline(unless the rumoured plan for galway goes ahead).No disruption to people who live in Cork or Cobh or Ringaskiddy.The NS are getting their ducks in a row alright
                  I got a brief offf a "Fish head"(Your word not mine) the other day.Best brief on the subject matter I ever heard.No problem reporting to him or his ilk.Typical small service paranoia coming out there methinks.
                  They'll still keep two Brigade HQS, what will loose out will be the brigade sub-units. They'll strip them away and they'll only have one artillery regiment and one cavalry Battalion and one engineer regiment etc, but still two brigades each with 3 current battalions.

That s pretty much what other NATO/european states have done. After all with the Dutch, Danes and Belgians only having one artillery regiment its hard for the brass to justify us having two. Same with the Cavalry concentrating all the equpiment at one spot would help vehicle availability and training. They'll also all get rid of the Army Reserve Corps subunits and make it a light infantry force only.

Had't heard about Galway, but they're planning to build a new port there, still can't see Coveney agreeing to that move
                  Last edited by paul g; 3 April 2015, 14:36.

Comment

• When everyone else is ending bilocation, I can't see the NS being in favour of it. Makes no logistic sense for a small force. While the NS have the use of Rathmullan, it has no use for any other Naval Base.

Comment

• I don't understand the obsession that to increase one service, that automatically means that another service gets reduced. Why oh why do we do this. Most people on here are military, or ex Military, why the Fcuk do we do such infighting. Why do we offer each other up like this. Why do we give cuts for free, when they will always come back for more. why don't we fight. All military doctrine, states that offence is the best form of defence. Yet we willing give ground all the time. Instead of looking to cut ourselves, why don''t we look to expand. Example, why isn't the coast guard shaking in its boots that the navy will make a play for their role.
                      Why don't we look to run conscription like Norway, and have a real reserve, that runs it, and looks after it. Dress it up as a way to instil discipline and fitness in our youth.
                      Why don't we run fitness programmes in every primary school in this country. This would mean increases. Every soldier has been vetted by the Guards any way.

Comment

• Being vetted to work with children is not the same as being vetted to work in the Army.
                        FG suggested the DF be used to make the schoolchildren fitter. The DF and the schools and every crusty liberal in the country, thought it was a bad idea.

Comment

• I'm not an expert on this, would it would seem to me that a conviction is a conviction, and I don't think that the army employs people who have a conviction for fiddling children

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                            Being vetted to work with children is not the same as being vetted to work in the Army.
                            FG suggested the DF be used to make the schoolchildren fitter. The DF and the schools and every crusty liberal in the country, thought it was a bad idea.
                            I'm a FG member, secretary of my local branch and i though it was a ****ing dumb idea.

Comment

• Why

Comment

• We seem to have no problem running all sort of things for the GAA country football teams

Comment

Working...
                                X