Thanks Thanks:  94
Likes Likes:  380
Dislikes Dislikes:  14
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 416

Thread: New Generals?

  1. #376
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Absolutely misplaced in the man mentioned. Once promoted the game changes and they become political pawns as opposed to having in depth loyalty to the branch or units they came from.

    Early was prepared to sacrifice the reserve to maintain a three brigade structure.
    apologies for dislike - clumsy fingers on phone

  2. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
  3. #377
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being a leader sometimes making unpopular decisions

  4. Thanks Truck Driver, hedgehog thanked for this post
  5. #378
    Lt General Bravo20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Smoke
    Posts
    4,932
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyway back to VADM Mellett.

    Looking at the press release 1) This is a nomination to be a candidate, there is no guarantee that he will get it 2) It doesn't become vacant until November 2018 so it is over a year away 3) Is it a full time position? It is a council of European Chiefs of Staff, the role is to be the chairman. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is a full time position or that it involves or requires a promotion.

  6. #379
    CQMS Auldsod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wesht
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo20 View Post
    Anyway back to VADM Mellett.

    Looking at the press release 1) This is a nomination to be a candidate, there is no guarantee that he will get it 2) It doesn't become vacant until November 2018 so it is over a year away 3) Is it a full time position? It is a council of European Chiefs of Staff, the role is to be the chairman. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is a full time position or that it involves or requires a promotion.
    It's a full time position for the Chairman so there would be a new CoS if the Admiral was appointed. Not sure about the requirement for a promotion but all others holders have had been full Generals (or equivalent) so I’d imagine that makes it a four star position. Also, one would imagine that the Chair would need to have at least parity of rank with the others on the committee and also so as to have enough prestige and influence for the position. If VADM Mellett does get accepted, I’d find it difficult to see him not getting a promotion (and the legislative changes required) to go with the job.

  7. #380
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    Time for an infantry COS to make infantry great again ;-)
    MIGA
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  8. Likes The real Jack, na grohmití, apod liked this post
  9. #381
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Being a leader sometimes making unpopular decisions
    Markie got Markie promoted.

    I really thought he'd be great, he was shite and I was so wrong.

    Markie boy spent more time on his personal PR than he did looking after his troops, that's his troops, lest anyone try and deflect his responsibility for the troops he leads.

    The best thing Markie boy can do for the DF is f Uck off to whatever top job he has wormed for himself and let someone

    Who is prepared to lead the DF, take the wheel and fix the stinking pile of shite Markie left.

    If you disagree with me, tell me 3 positive things he did to enhance the life of a Pte, an Airman and a Sailor.

    I've been wrong before, I thought he'd make a great COS.
    Last edited by hedgehog; 21st September 2017 at 18:46.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  10. Thanks The real Jack, jack08 thanked for this post
    Likes jack08, na grohmití, Rhodes liked this post
  11. #382
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    Markie got Markie promoted.

    I really thought he'd be great, he was shite and I was so wrong.

    Markie boy spent more time on his personal PR than he did looking after his troops, that's his troops, lest anyone try and deflect his responsibility for the troops he leads.

    The best thing Markie boy can do for the DF is f Uck off to whatever top job he has wormed for himself and let someone

    Who is prepared to lead the DF, take the wheel and fix the stinking pile of shite Markie left.

    If you disagree with me, tell me 3 positive things he did to enhance the life of a Pte, an Airman and a Sailor.

    I've been wrong before, I thought he'd make a great COS.
    I was actually referring to DE

    The current COS has a different approach to previous COSs. A lot more face time, the corporate vision, being the face of the DF, optics, listening to concerns etc etc etc

    It is an approach used by some business leaders

  12. Likes hedgehog liked this post
  13. #383
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    I was actually referring to DE

    The current COS has a different approach to previous COSs. A lot more face time, the corporate vision, being the face of the DF, optics, listening to concerns etc etc etc

    It is an approach used by some business leaders
    I kind of was thinking of DE and comparing him to MM.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

  14. Likes trellheim liked this post
  15. #384
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,342
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Absolutely misplaced in the man mentioned. Once promoted the game changes and they become political pawns as opposed to having in depth loyalty to the branch or units they came from.

    Early was prepared to sacrifice the reserve to maintain a three brigade structure.
    I have no issues about the preservation of structures etc. but when a man doesn't practise what he preaches his credibility becomes undone, but as I said CoS is all but a political appointment with no real teeth.

    Sean McCann was another toothless tiger who fell badly at the first hurdle
    Mark Mellet would have been far more effective for the NS as DCOS.
    Time for another break I think......

  16. #385
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    I have no issues about the preservation of structures etc. but when a man doesn't practise what he preaches his credibility becomes undone, but as I said CoS is all but a political appointment with no real teeth.

    Sean McCann was another toothless tiger who fell badly at the first hurdle
    Mark Mellet would have been far more effective for the NS as DCOS.

    MM was a DCOS

    COS, DCOS and ACOS General staff appointments aren't about being good for a particular part of the DF, they are about the whole DF

  17. #386
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,342
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    MM was a DCOS

    COS, DCOS and ACOS General staff appointments aren't about being good for a particular part of the DF, they are about the whole DF
    Exactly he was far more effective as DCOS
    Time for another break I think......

  18. #387
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't he increase the size of the fleet by 12.5% as COS

  19. #388
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,707
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Didn't he increase the size of the fleet by 12.5% as COS
    Nope.
    When he was FOCNS we had an 8 ship navy.
    We still have an 8 Ship navy with him as COS.
    Don't count your chickens etc...
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  20. Likes The real Jack, Spark23, hptmurphy liked this post
  21. #389
    Lt General apod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ass in the grass.
    Posts
    4,815
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah.With no one to crew the ninth ship.
    Good planning there.
    If Eithne and the peacocks are all replaced with an MRV and 2x MCM vessels that still leaves us at 8 ships.Now even if you transfer the old crews onto the new ships(and the MRV will most likely need a bigger crew than Eithne anyway) you still won't have the boddies to crew the new OPV.
    Genius.

    PS: Sorry for discussing squid issues in the groundpounder section.Back on thread.
    Last edited by apod; 22nd September 2017 at 16:00.
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

  22. Thanks DeV, na grohmití thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  23. #390
    C/S
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apod View Post
    Yeah.With no one to crew the ninth ship.
    Good planning there.
    If Eithne and the peacocks are all replaced with an MRV and 2x MCM vessels that still leaves us at 8 ships.Now even if you transfer the old crews onto the new ships(and the MRV will most likely need a bigger crew than Eithne anyway) you still won't have the boddies to crew the new OPV.
    Genius.

    PS: Sorry for discussing squid issues in the groundpounder section.Back on thread.
    That would make nine, 2 x P50, 4 x P60, 2 x MCM, and 1 x MRV, total = 9.

  24. #391
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,707
    Post Thanks / Like
    You assume that the 4th P60 (which has not yet seen water) is not a replacement for either P40.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  25. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
  26. #392
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    You assume that the 4th P60 (which has not yet seen water) is not a replacement for either P40.
    Remains to be seen

    Either way the biggest investment in the DF in its history



    Also MM (and his ADC/MA not sure of her official title) did tandem jumps with the ARW this week

  27. #393
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Remains to be seen

    Either way the biggest investment in the DF in its history



    Also MM (and his ADC/MA not sure of her official title) did tandem jumps with the ARW this week
    PSO (Personal Staff Officer)?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  28. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití liked this post
  29. #394
    C/S
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    You assume that the 4th P60 (which has not yet seen water) is not a replacement for either P40.
    No, l was simply adding what apod said to the OPVs in service or on order. My limited knowledge on the topic though leads me to believe that MCMs and MRVs are very different from our OPVs.

  30. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  31. #395
    Colonel
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, we didn't get rid of him.

    Defence Forces chief misses out on top EU military post

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...post-1.3283355

  32. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Likes The real Jack liked this post
  33. #396
    Major General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,707
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'll get bored of his current position soon.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

  34. #397
    Captain Truck Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Here And There...
    Posts
    10,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Unfortunately, we didn't get rid of him.

    Defence Forces chief misses out on top EU military post

    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...post-1.3283355
    Isn't this the second EU level post the COS missed out on recently ?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

  35. #398
    2/Lt Bam Bam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The rich side of town
    Posts
    2,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    Isn't this the second EU level post the COS missed out on recently ?
    It's becoming a pinch point.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

  36. Likes hptmurphy, apod, The real Jack liked this post
  37. #399
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    829
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    It's becoming a pinch point.
    The Kehoe/Mellet "Pinch Point" interview needs the Theresa Manion dance remix work over. I'd say there's an audience for it.

  38. Likes na grohmití liked this post
  39. #400
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    Exactly he was far more effective as DCOS
    For those upset, The COS and the Staff generals are there to oversee Strategic Planning, Public Relations, Operational and Supply matters together with Administrative oversight. None of them Command anything or anyone. Command lies with the Brigade Commanders and the Naval and Air Corps Commanders . The predicament of other Ranks lies with their CO's and their Major unit CO's in turn. Back bone requires cage rattling to highlight unacceptable conditions . Silent voices are Never heard. The only avenue for a COS is resignation with consequences for his family and future.

  40. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •