No announcement yet.

New Generals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As the next DCOS competition will be this year then the same rules will apply ( to try and change them would be seen as either trying to disadvantage some candidates or trying to favour others). In the recent competition only 3 brig gen were eligible 1brig, AC and NS along with a few Col. The next DCOS will come from the same group, so it is likely to be either AC or NS.

If current DCOS Sp get COS he will serve for 5/6 years, unless he jumps ship (pun intended). So his replacement is unlikely to come from anyone who is already a Col or Gen as most of these will reach retiring age before him

Comment

• Originally posted by Tenet View Post
      In September the COS job becomes available. This creates the consequent DCOS vacancy. I am not sure but I have a suspicion that there may be no 'One Stars' qualified for promotion to DCOS by then as they will either have too little time in the current rank or insufficient time in the next rank if promoted. I don't think GOC AC has the time remaining, same for GOC 2Bde and ACOS retires in the new year. Who's left? Is the Flag eligible? I don't know but I didn't think so otherwise he would have been in this recent competition. The irony of this is that the Cols who are EO's for the previously mentioned Brig Gens are eligible even though their bosses aren't since they have the time to serve in the DCOS rank even though some of them don't have sufficient time remaining for promotion to Brig Gen (DCOS accrues 1 extra year's service). A change to the competition rules may be necessary. It is of course possible that there is no minimum service in the rank of Brig Gen for eligibility for promotion.

This is also why this recent promotion was so important for the Army. It effectively ensures that the next DCOS also has to be green, thereby making it fairly cast iron that the next COS after M. Mellet will be green, and normal service can resume.

Not sure what you mean by that?. Do you not agree that having a mix of different service officers at DFHQ level benifits the whole DF.

Would like to see COS shared by all services to be honest. Gives a more DF wide balance to DFHQ.

Would i be right in saying that DCOS Ops will only serve 1-2 years in the job due to age grounds?

Comment

• Two star can serve to 62, three star to 63..... KB is 58 tmrw according to wiki so he has four years at least, MM is 56/57 I think , he has six/seven years if he serves out his full time.

I believe that a representative general staff is important but we need to be careful if we start going down the road of quotas etc. for instance it could probably be argued that the biggest part of the DF is the infantry ( 7x Bns at 400 each approx) .... Nearly a third of the force but the infantry have not had a monopoly on the top jobs and haven't had a COS since D Earley (RIP) . Can you compare GOC AC to GOC 2 Bde for strategic outputs and the leadership potential / challenges of the respective jobs? The northern half of the country including the capital and the border , a couple of thousand bods, five or six locations versus 800 bods, one location and less then thirty air craft albeit with a national focus.

The real question is whether the officers of the AC or the NS get sufficient experience working in DFHQ throughout their careers to allow them to fill such strategic positions in a joint HQ..... I don't necessarily think a representative general staff is the necessity but a more representative number of staff officers and NCOs is what is required and this will ultimately naturally lead to a more representative general staff of experienced leaders. The average 'career officer' in the Army will have been a staffer in DFHQ at captain, Comdt , lt col and col ... Just read a lot of the generals profiles.... Although some would argue that this is a disadvantage , I don't agree. There are some NS and AC offrs in token roles but more are needed .....

Any good tips for the next two star to replace MM ?

While we are talking about it , I don't think the having "one of your lads" at the top particularly helps either.... I don't think the AC have prospered during Ralph's time and the Arty would have a similarly dim view of their progress during COBs leadership. Ultimately in such senior leadership roles , they appear to be wearing the green jersey rather then collar badges or the colour of your uniform.

Comment

• You could say that for the size of the DF the artillery corps has done quite well with COB as COS!

Comment

• It should be apparent that once you reach general rank, you no longer have corps collar badges. There is a reason for this. The GOCs command all the force, not just their old unit. They absolutely cannot be seen to favour their old corps (even if they decide to wear its headgear).
            A moument unveiled to SS Caomhán Seoighe who went missing in Lebanon 2 (5) by Irish Defence Forces, on Flickr

The less time any officer spends in a staff role in DFHQ the better, in my opinion. There are plenty of staff officer roles in Haulbowline and Baldonnel to make senior officers familiar with how paper pushing and DF politics work.
            However there are no staff roles at Colonel level outside the army. The Army seems to have a monopoly on this, while OF-5s in the AC and NS actually have to command something, instead of watching someone else do it.
            For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• AC Gp is surely a staff job?

No reason why the likes of DJ1-DJ4, DJ7 couldn't be an AC / NS officer

Comment

• DJ who?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Booted Man View Post
                  Two star can serve to 62, three star to 63..... KB is 58 tmrw according to wiki so he has four years at least, MM is 56/57 I think , he has six/seven years if he serves out his full time.

I believe that a representative general staff is important but we need to be careful if we start going down the road of quotas etc. for instance it could probably be argued that the biggest part of the DF is the infantry ( 7x Bns at 400 each approx) .... Nearly a third of the force but the infantry have not had a monopoly on the top jobs and haven't had a COS since D Earley (RIP) . Can you compare GOC AC to GOC 2 Bde for strategic outputs and the leadership potential / challenges of the respective jobs? The northern half of the country including the capital and the border , a couple of thousand bods, five or six locations versus 800 bods, one location and less then thirty air craft albeit with a national focus.

The real question is whether the officers of the AC or the NS get sufficient experience working in DFHQ throughout their careers to allow them to fill such strategic positions in a joint HQ..... I don't necessarily think a representative general staff is the necessity but a more representative number of staff officers and NCOs is what is required and this will ultimately naturally lead to a more representative general staff of experienced leaders. The average 'career officer' in the Army will have been a staffer in DFHQ at captain, Comdt , lt col and col ... Just read a lot of the generals profiles.... Although some would argue that this is a disadvantage , I don't agree. There are some NS and AC offrs in token roles but more are needed .....

Any good tips for the next two star to replace MM ?

While we are talking about it , I don't think the having "one of your lads" at the top particularly helps either.... I don't think the AC have prospered during Ralph's time and the Arty would have a similarly dim view of their progress during COBs leadership. Ultimately in such senior leadership roles , they appear to be wearing the green jersey rather then collar badges or the colour of your uniform.

That prob makes a lot more sense. Have DFHQ vancancies open to all personnel in the Tri Services. I know lots of Dubs/Kildare/Meath etc people who would jump at the chance to work in Dublin/Newbridge. Only trouble is that due to the NS shore/sea rotation of 2 years, thats all you will have one person in situ for.

Comment

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
                    That prob makes a lot more sense. Have DFHQ vancancies open to all personnel in the Tri Services. I know lots of Dubs/Kildare/Meath etc people who would jump at the chance to work in Dublin/Newbridge. Only trouble is that due to the NS shore/sea rotation of 2 years, thats all you will have one person in situ for.
                    Nothing to stop them army officers rotate every 3 years or so

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                      DJ who?
                      Director Joint staff section

Eg
                      DJ2 - Director Intelligence
                      DJ3 - Director Ops
                      DJ7 - Director Training
                      Etc

Comment

• Oh you mean jobs for the boys?

Comment

Did you forget, the honkeys don't want your type about...

Comment

• them new fangled aeroplane drivers and gunboat sailors,in the Curragh?!? whooda thunkit?! they'll be giving women the vote next...oh, wait...

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              Did you forget, the honkeys don't want your type about...

Tell them to send their complaints to the Admiral!!!!!!

Comment

Tell them to send their complaints to the Admiral!!!!!!
                                Best come back this year,

Take a bow
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X