Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  367
Dislikes Dislikes:  14
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 401 to 407 of 407

Thread: New Generals?

  1. #401
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    For those upset, The COS and the Staff generals are there to oversee Strategic Planning, Public Relations, Operational and Supply matters together with Administrative oversight. None of them Command anything or anyone. Command lies with the Brigade Commanders and the Naval and Air Corps Commanders . The predicament of other Ranks lies with their CO's and their Major unit CO's in turn. Back bone requires cage rattling to highlight unacceptable conditions . Silent voices are Never heard. The only avenue for a COS is resignation with consequences for his family and future.
    Plus 1

    And can only work with the resources provided by Government and subsequently DoD

    I ask myself why DoD are involved in so many areas

  2. #402
    2/Lt Bam Bam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The rich side of town
    Posts
    2,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    For those upset, The COS and the Staff generals are there to oversee Strategic Planning, Public Relations, Operational and Supply matters together with Administrative oversight. None of them Command anything or anyone. Command lies with the Brigade Commanders and the Naval and Air Corps Commanders . The predicament of other Ranks lies with their CO's and their Major unit CO's in turn. Back bone requires cage rattling to highlight unacceptable conditions . Silent voices are Never heard. The only avenue for a COS is resignation with consequences for his family and future.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YaRvbQSjrk

    When I read your comment, this instantly came to mind
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

  3. Likes The real Jack liked this post
    Dislikes DeV disliked this post
  4. #403
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    921
    Post Thanks / Like
    The design of all Governments Departments gives absolute control to the Departmental Secretaries General, particularly The Secretary of the Department of Finance. There is an old saying that the next rank to Chief of staff, in financial terms, is Clerical Officer!

  5. #404
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    19,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
    The design of all Governments Departments gives absolute control to the Departmental Secretaries General, particularly The Secretary of the Department of Finance. There is an old saying that the next rank to Chief of staff, in financial terms, is Clerical Officer!
    That a improved a lot (from a very low base) with some expenditure devolved to DF officers

  6. #405
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago driving home from work listen to Miles Duggen's Drive time ? There was a discussion about the Army running there own budget. Duggen was interviewing a civil servant who was saying it was a bad idea. The best he could come out with to keep it in the hands of the civilians was it could prevent a military takeover of the State. Duggen asked did he the civil servant think by locking the cheque book in a drawer it would prevent the most heavily armed group in the country taking over.

  7. Likes na grohmití liked this post
  8. #406
    2/Lt Bam Bam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The rich side of town
    Posts
    2,017
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats why they keep its top commanders in boxes.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

  9. #407
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    Thats why they keep its top commanders in boxes.
    It is also why our need for all round operational capability is sporadic and fragmented. The Defence Budget should contain annually a sum available to Defence Uniformed Staff to plug holes in the Combat Networks both on Land , Sea, and Air. There are needs in Combat Network Radio, Missile attack and Defence systems, Air Intercept, Ground Support, Medical evacuation,Medium to long Range responses, Top Combat Air patrols, all required both on land and in the Marine environment. Singular demonstrations have no Defence in Depth and are a restricted knowledge base.

  10. Thanks morpheus thanked for this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •