New Arms Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The latest:

The official changeover to the New Arms Drill for both PDF & RDF will take effect at the National Day of Commemoration on Sun 08 July.

The Cadet School are an exception and they will perform the New Drill at the Easter Sunday Ceremony in Dublin.

The RDF GOH will perform the current arms drill at the Easter Sunday Ceremony in Dublin.
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vickers View Post
      The latest:

The official changeover to the New Arms Drill for both PDF & RDF will take effect at the National Day of Commemoration on Sun 08 July.

The Cadet School are an exception and they will perform the New Drill at the Easter Sunday Ceremony in Dublin.

The RDF GOH will perform the current arms drill at the Easter Sunday Ceremony in Dublin.
      Ahhh. Gives everyone a few months to get up to speed then...
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        Time to tone up the biceps. Tis been a while since anyone carried their rifle in their hand for that long...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

Never got told anything about a new arms drill, so whos gonna teach me before I have to go teach a load of recruits/ptes?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
            Never got told anything about a new arms drill, so whos gonna teach me before I have to go teach a load of recruits/ptes?
            BTC, I guess
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• So when are they going to teach me? they gonna hold a summer camp to teach it or what..... I guess I'll find out in due course... Just surprised there was nothing said about it while I was on a field day last weekend...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
                So when are they going to teach me? they gonna hold a summer camp to teach it or what..... I guess I'll find out in due course... Just surprised there was nothing said about it while I was on a field day last weekend...
                Exactly... yet, new of the new drill should have filtered down by now, if not training on it - yet last week, lads in my crew were as
                surprised as you when it was mentioned

Comment

• Over my 43 yrs in the RDF there were 3 weapons that were used, The .303 I learned as a recruit, the other as an NCO over w/end training for Officers and NCOs in Bn Hq by PDF NCOs . Yes, the Officers as well, be it in a different part of the bks. and as they were then new weapons to us, TOETs had to be passed also.
                  it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                  Winston churchill

Comment

• you'd think it the end of the world. it should take a day or two at most to teach a trained soldier two or three new drill movements, think about it...

Position of weapon:
                    • at attention
                    • at ease,
                    • moving from halt to the march and vice versa
                    • and finally giving the salute,

this isn't rocket science
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• No.... this is rocket science

Seriously though, 2 hours should be enough you still use some of the basic concepts as with the previous drill...
                      Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                      Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

• Originally posted by Cryos View Post
                        No.... this is rocket science

Seriously though, 2 hours should be enough you still use some of the basic concepts as with the previous drill...
                        Thats a pretty simple equation to be honest! I'm not worried about learning it myself to be honest it's trying to pass it on afterwards thats going to be the hard part, and the fact that even though there has been plenty of talk about it on here it hasn't even been mentioned to me or anyone else I know at coy level

Comment

• Originally posted by beenthere View Post
                          Over my 43 yrs in the RDF there were 3 weapons that were used, The .303 I learned as a recruit, the other as an NCO over w/end training for Officers and NCOs in Bn Hq by PDF NCOs . Yes, the Officers as well, be it in a different part of the bks. and as they were then new weapons to us, TOETs had to be passed also.
                          Ha ! I also was trained up on the same set of rifles as you

The FN rifle drill was taught to us by a PDF NCO, who was imported for a couple of weeks (not Cadre)
                          The Steyr drill was done in house (the lads told me they were taught by the Cadre staff)
                          Advance issue of the manual might help NCOs to get a jump on the training before rollout of the drill

If there is a "Ground Arms" drill movement, that could be a barsteward, given the short length of the weapon...
                          Last edited by Truck Driver; 28 February 2012, 11:14.

Comment

• The info I posted on Sunday was to be sent to Bdes by email on Monday (yesterday). It also contained other information re Train the Trainers/ Training manuals/ Training Circular etc which I am not going to post here. Ask your unit. They should know from today, at least.
                            "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• Originally posted by beenthere View Post
                              Over my 43 yrs in the RDF there were 3 weapons that were used, The .303 I learned as a recruit, the other as an NCO over w/end training for Officers and NCOs in Bn Hq by PDF NCOs . Yes, the Officers as well, be it in a different part of the bks. and as they were then new weapons to us, TOETs had to be passed also.
                              Likewise, with different duration of course. 303 drill, and everything else about it was learnt in recruit camp.
                              FN, was over a few days on 2-3 star camp, you become experts with practice.
                              Steyr, again as an NCO, a week long instructor course, the week not including Saturday or Sunday, or after thursday evening when the rifles went back to barracks. Everything we needed to know about the weapon, and a little more, in 3 and a half good days, including TOETs. We learnt it by taking turns going through the lesson plans as per manual. I had already covered it on my POTs as a 3*, but our lesson plans were on the Bren.

It isn't rocket science if you RTFM. The problem happens when you have an instructor who half knows it, mixed with another instructor who knows it properly.
                              All or nothing.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vickers View Post
                                The info I posted on Sunday was to be sent to Bdes by email on Monday (yesterday). It also contained other information re Train the Trainers/ Training manuals/ Training Circular etc which I am not going to post here. Ask your unit. They should know from today, at least.
                                Nice one Vickers

Must ask the question this evening

Comment

Working...
                                X