No announcement yet.

Book of Condolence. Sgt Derek Mooney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that a year after the accident which claimed this mans life a monument to him has been erected in Liberia,consisting of a simple marble slab, with the name of Sgt Mooney inscribed and surounded by a Connemara wall which was built by the Emgineering section.
    Photo in Novembers connect.
    Last edited by FMolloy; 17 May 2007, 00:45.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I am an officer in the Royal Irish Regiment, currently serving a 12 month tour in Liberia.

Today is Decoration Day, a public holiday when Liberians traditionally decorate the graves of their relatives and friends. I was out at Firestone Plantation this morning clearing a small Commonwealth War Graves Commission plot, in which a soldier of the Royal Irish Fusiliers is buried. I have often spent time in quiet reflection at Sergeant Mooney's memorial and had intended to stop there on my way back to Monrovia in order to give it a tidy. I am delighted to say that by the time I arrived there at about 1300, the memorial had been meticulously cleaned by the locals from the Plantation.

It can never assuage the grief of losing a loved one, but perhaps it may bring some comfort to Derec's family, friends, and comrades in the Irish Defence Forces to know that his sacrifice is so obviously recognised and his memory cherished by those who he came here to protect.

I took a few photographs and if the Webmaster would give me a contact e-mail I will forward them on to him so that those who wish may be able to see how well his memory is tended.

Comment

The thought is appreciated and welcomed .
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Gentlemen, I'm a bit of a Luddite and it took me a few hours to work out how to post pictures. I have, I hope, managed it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lt Col Andy Hart View Post
            Gentlemen, I'm a bit of a Luddite and it took me a few hours to work out how to post pictures. I have, I hope, managed it.
            Many thanks for the pictures, and taking the time and trouble to post them.

Comment

Thanks for that.

While it might not be his grave it certainly says his memory lives on there, worth a thought.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

R.I.P. Sad to say that I never knew until now that Derek had left the AO. I done my NCO's course with him and some of his Ranger mates, a long time ago now. Belated sympathy to all his family.

Comment

Working...
                X