Army CADETSHIP MEDICAL (Eye Test)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army CADETSHIP MEDICAL (Eye Test)

Has anyone done a medical for a cadetship recently?

Other than eye sight, and colour vision, what tests are done on your eyes in the medical for the ARMY cadetships??

In the cadetship booklet it says that if you have had "incisional surgery" or lazer surgery on your eyes you are considered ineligable for the cadetship. I'm specifically asking people who have done the medical in recent years, how do they check for this? Did they look closely at your eyes for scars of any sort or make you look into something where they can look closely at your eyes? Or did they just make you fill out a questionnaire where you answer yes/no to questions like that?

When I was very young I was on holidays in Spain and when I was at the beach a huge wave crashed into my face bringing with it some rather large sharp shards of shell. I had lumps of sharp shell caught in both of my eyes and it was excruciatingly painful and it took me and my parents a long time to get them out. I was at an opticians recently and she said that she could see scar tissue in my eyes and that it looked identical to the kind of scars that you would have from having 'incisionary' surgery done on my eyes. So I'm asking does anyone know if the Army GP's look for scar tissue in your eye? Do they examine your eyes quite closely? Or do they just rely on your answer in the questionnaire?

I've never had surgery on my eyes but now I have scars in both of my eyes that make it look exactly like I have had surgery to correct my eyes in some way to the trained eye. Will they believe me in the Army if I tell them the truth and why I have eye scars or will the just assume I'm lying and fail me?.. also. If they do believe me, would having had my eyes cut in the past with the shell incident make me ineligable for a cadetship?
    SWEAT SAVES BLOOD

They may do a glaucoma test. Apart from that, accidental scars would look irregular compared to laser cuts which are usually radial. they might also ask for medical records about your case.

regards
    GttC

Comment

They do the colour blindness test - look at the plates, tell me what you see. Then, its over to "the box" - "look into the box and tell me you can see, start from the top line and work your way down"

you will be asked to sign a declaration about having various treatment carried out, if I remember correctly the eyes are included.

Comment

Thanks lads.

So how do they check for people who have had laser eye surgery and for people who have had incisional surgery? Do they check or do they just check your sight, if your'e colour blind, and make you follow their finger as they move it left and right? Is there any other tests done on your eyes?

And how do they do the glaucoma test?
        SWEAT SAVES BLOOD

Comment

As far as I've been told it's on the form but not thoroughly examined. Also if you have LASEK done well they leave extremely minimal scarring.

The glaucoma test is administered by a puff of air into the eye to test inner eye pressure as well as observations made during normal eye tests.
          Hope this hels a bit..
          Life's short, party naked :-)

Comment

The glaucoma test is more than just a puff of air. It's done for the Class 1 air medical and involves a gel being applied to the eyes and then a pressure being exerted on the eyeballs. It takes about 30 minutes for normal vision to resume. It may not be done for Army cadets.
            incidentally, someone on boards.ie is asking the same question and has already got more information than here.
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Working...
            X