No announcement yet.

Malaria Claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a lad from my Unit, who went to Chad there about 2 or so years ago. An IMO member was on the same trip with him.

While on Lariam, he was absolutely tormented by night terrors. It was passed off as "Ah well that's Lariam for ya" and so on, until one night lads in his tent woke up to find him, while going through yet another night terror, trying to open the lock on his Soldier's Box in his sleep.

Sorry but while I'm all for cracking on with job and accepting that the life of a soldier will usually mean you'll take risks, put up with the shite end of the stick etc. when it gets to the stage where it's putting other people in danger, something needs to be done.

There's a reason the Yanks pulled Lariam from being issued to their SOF lads, heli pilots etc. and it ain't because it's not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      Worth Noting that the long time enemy of the Oglaigh na hEireann, SF/IRA has been formost in the support for this campaign to seek compensation for those who suffered side effects from Lariam use. One wonders if there is an agenda here.
      RGJ, are you sre lariam is what your people use? Normally it is only given to those operating in equatorial regions.
      Goldie - it's what we had in Kenya - literally on the Equator as you know.

i didn't bother with it in Iraq, and as for Afghan you'd have to ask Keef or Irishkid from our lot.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Well my first trip to a Malaria region was 12 years ago and I was proscribed Lariam, the doctor informed me of some potential side affects and stressed that I should watch out for mood swings and the at I was to under no circumstances use it for more than 3 months. I found it had a major impact on mood swings.

The last time I was in Malaria region was 3 years ago and I was proscribed a different drug (taken daily), I asked about larium and was told "Oh no we don't proscribe that any more".

I have met a number of Irish soldiers who are suffering big time from what they were proscribed, and this was long before any one considered that there might be a compensation pot to draw from. Given my experience I don't think they are lying. And RGJ no that is not an acceptable risk to soldiering.

The biggest problem in the Irish DF is that there is no proper compensation scheme for wrongs committed, so each individual will have to sue.

Comment

I have lived in malaria areas for the best part of 25+ years and have had it several times as have my kids and wife. The thing is malaria is so different from place to place. On the Kenyan/ Tanzania coast there is a really bad strain . I know of two european women who died because of it. My own kids both had malaria when they were less than one , it can be very serious. However if u are living there all of the time its too dangerous to take constant prophalxis, In the early days it was Paulidrine, ( effects sight) then Chloraquine ( now most Malaria is Chloroquibe resistent) Halfan ( caused some sort of heart probs), Arthemisian Spell? ( varying quality ) now arthemesian and a dsoe of Doxyxycline. ( seems to work) . Lariam would not touch it as it can make u bonkers.It being well known for ages.
          Best prophalaxis is to take a fold up newspaper and check the room at night, wallop everything that moves except geckos, sleep under mozzie nets, dont allow garbage , stagnant water ,craetes of empty beer bottles to build up and spray in the daytime. Watch alcohol levels as hangovers also coincide with Malaria attacks , wonder why???
          Aas regards the claims, its a reflection of a society that is compo mad, ( by the way I did not put in a deafness claim) although a friend of mine who was a major in the Prince of Wales got 80,000Sterling about 15 yrs ago>
          So an approach somewhere between the attitude expressed by RGJ ( Baldrick I am a soldier etc WW1 approach) to LOOKING AFTER THE MEN.

Comment

Old Africa saying: Larium drives you crazy but Malaria kills!

We used to use Maloprim generally in the Rhodesian forces and so did the British contingent who came out for the ceasefire. However, resistance builds up to certain drugs and Maloprim is rarely used now in Zimbabwe. The area around Binga in the Zambezi Valley seemed to have the highest concentration of mosquitos in the world and Maloprim always seemed to work- along with the normal precautions regarding clothing, nets etc.

On deployments to the Inyanga mountains in the Eastern Highlands which were well over 8,000ft. we were issued with a different drug which I think may have been a variation of Larium. It certainly did me no harm and I remain exceptionally well-balanced.

But interesting article here
            Scores of Peace Corps volunteers are coming forward saying that over the past 12 years they suffered crippling paranoia, anxiety, hallucinations, memory loss, s

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
              While on Lariam, he was absolutely tormented by night terrors.
              I think most people got the incredibly vivid and incredibly frightening dreams. But we had 2 lads in the same tent (2 down from mine) who got the night terrors. Not generally something to joke about on its own but was actually quite funny to hear them when they got them at the same time!

Comment

Its total bollocks, no one in the right mind would take Larium when Malerone is far better. Its all about saving money as usual and now the DF/DOD is gonna get its commupance for not being willing to pay the £3 per tablet per day for the Malerone

Comment

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
                  it certainly did me no harm and i remain exceptionally well-balanced.

buhahahahahahahajha!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mabel View Post
                    Its total bollocks, no one in the right mind would take Larium when Malerone is far better. Its all about saving money as usual and now the DF/DOD is gonna get its commupance for not being willing to pay the £3 per tablet per day for the Malerone
                    Malarone! Thats the stuff I got when I was taken off the Lariam. Thanks Mabel. Couldn't for the life of me remember the name of it. Ah well thats the Lariam for you. :-)

Comment

Now. how big a say did the civil serpents have in picking the cheaper Lariam. ?

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                        Now. how big a say did the civil serpents have in picking the cheaper Lariam. ?
                        None.
                        There have been hundreds of questions put to the minister by the Provo scum TDs in the dail asking about this. Do a half arsed search in the thread about the dail questions and you will find how Lariam was selected and why.
                        This conspiracy theory bollix does nobody any favours.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I did read somewhere probabaly on the Action Larium FB page that Enlisted were give Larium while commissioned were given something more expensive and less contraversial.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            I did read somewhere probabaly on the Action Larium FB page that Enlisted were give Larium while commissioned were given something more expensive and less contraversial.
                            This rumour did the rounds in Chad as well but totally unsubstantiated and I honestly doubt there was any truth to it.

Comment

Rte Prime time is doing a special on Lariam this Monday night-

The journal just did a piece about it, it's ripe for the - why do we need a Defence forces idiots and the Another army deafness lark clowns to spout shite and ill informed comments, I would ask you as a hedgie favour to post some pro DF comments. I know the two lads involved and they are good blokes all around.

A small group of Irish soldiers are holding protests and bringing legal action over the use of Lariam in the Defence Forces. TheJournal.ie investigates.
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                                Doxycycline

these were also issued in timor as numbers were smaller
                                i think this will be bigger than the deafness claims

Comment

Working...
                                X