Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by simon View Post
    Amen to that
    - moored either in Dun Laoire as part of the National Maritime Museum or in Cork, where the Cill Airne (CIT training vessel) used to be - maybe still is - moored.
    She could even perhaps have replaced Cill Airne as the training vessel for the Merchant Marine side of things.

Another option would have been something like http://www.mtb102.com/

She was a real milestone in Irish Maritime history, as well as being a major part of it with the Fastnet Race, the Claudia, the loss of L/S Kellet and the fact she was the first indigenous design for the patrol of Irish waters.
    Terrible shame to see her go, and I dont think they will never be able to buy her back and restore her
    The days of training ships are over, running costs are too excessive for a vessel that does not earn money. Simulators are the future.
    Cill Airne is now sitting happpily with a major redesign on Dublin's quays, not far from Jurys Inn. She is now a floating pub/restaurant.
    Museum ships are nice to have but the priority has to be maintaining a modern service fleet. Few foreign Navies larger than ours are capable of maintaining museum ships.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
      Wrong dude you mentioned there too. Mick Quinn, not PK.
      Post edited, apologies.

The training ship option was one of several. The best solution I believe would have been Dun Laoire or Cork as part of the National Maritime Museum, perhaps supported in part by a trust such as the MTB one mentioned, and the NS - something perhaps for the Slua and/or sea scouts also.
      I feel that there were many options that should have been looked at rather than just making a sale.

I do realise active vessels take priority, but Dierdre is as much a part of the Islands maritime heritage as the Asgard or Galway Hookers.

As for training vessels, they still have their place. Simulators can achieve more in giving cadets 'control' but in terms of general seamanship, and many other aspects it does have its merits.

Comment

• ok deirdre is now part of ins history and there is nothing more we can do about it..alas all our preserved history went up in smoke this year too when we should have asked to get a proper wing for it in collins barracks dublin but if you are not in the well in gang your voice is not heard

Comment

• Realistcally Naval Floating/ Marime / Museums do not work unless the ship is part of a bigger enviornment ..take HMS Victory for example.

The Floating Museum of a sweeper a frigate and a sub in I think Liverpool failed last year just because it was percieved to be just three floating hulks with astronomic maintainence costs and insurance premiums.

Ships of the size we operate are not / have operated were never meant to be full to the gunnels with the general public wandering round what are in reality even for ships crews tight spaces, Fine if people have enough interest in one aspect of the operation, how much maritime heritage could you display on the Emer perhaps given 40 odd crew members had difficulty getting around the thing as it is.

Ship preservation is beyond our means and its far more dignified for these ships to either continue their days at sea albeit in another guise or be converted to razor blades rather than having busloads of snotty children tramping around what was once a proud warship.

Yeah the Naval Archives could probably fit in a shoe box for now.. the Maritime crowd in Dunlaoighre are never open we can't afford to tie up people or funds on a PV tied to a wall for kids to play on..preserve what is there for now, forget about what is lost. and forget about trying to save ships..just save the memories in whatever format.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• I think anyone who visits HMS Belfast will understand the level of work required to keep open a floating museum. Belfast, by comparison to our ships is Huge, yet due to the requirements of accessability, and health and safety, relatively little of her is open to the public. Remember too that she is jointly operated by the IWM and the RN.
            I believe Dun Laoighre is waiting for its roof to be repaired.

Comment

• Just build a replica of Deirdre's senior rates mess with an audio recording of it's past members having a session or such .
              Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
                ok deirdre is now part of ins history and there is nothing more we can do about it..alas all our preserved history went up in smoke this year too when we should have asked to get a proper wing for it in collins barracks dublin but if you are not in the well in gang your voice is not heard
                If collins barracks received them they would only put on a display once a year i dont honestly believe they would be displayed all year round??

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                  I think anyone who visits HMS Belfast will understand the level of work required to keep open a floating museum. Belfast, by comparison to our ships is Huge, yet due to the requirements of accessability, and health and safety, relatively little of her is open to the public. Remember too that she is jointly operated by the IWM and the RN.
                  I believe Dun Laoighre is waiting for its roof to be repaired.
                  the maritime museum has been closed the last 2 years due to complete building work
                  new roof has already been installed - due to open next year?? but with the government cutback etc dont really know when it will open -Yes deirdre was sold cheaply - but look at the cost if some instituation did in fact receive a ship cost of running esb, security etc

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                    Just build a replica of Deirdre's senior rates mess with an audio recording of it's past members having a session or such .
                    Put Big George on the quay wall and let the ship form around him.

Comment

• Ex L.É. Deirdre in refit!

Images taken from the following website

Comment

• thats not deirdre on the website

Comment

• Maybe they have plans...

Comment

thats not deirdre on the website
                            Ya, looks like there is a rail around the pointy end.

Comment

• The pennant number is a giveaway!

Comment

thats not deirdre on the website
                                Yeah, but does anyone know of another OPV that has been sold and is in Brazil for renovation!

Comment

Working...
                                X