Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    That isn't true. Only Roisin was named from a School competition.
    Schoolkid compos to name the latest baby elephant/cub/chimp etc in the zoo is fine and well ,in effect its a clever marketing tool to get schoolkids (and parents g/parents etc) etc to visit the zoo,not quite appropriate for a state asset costing c60 m euros thats designed to hurt certain type of people if needsbe,its a weapon platform not a training ship like the Asgard.
    However its a lot cheaper than the usual state effort of subbing such matters out to PCW etc who will convene numerous focus groups ets and probably come back and reccemend the ship be named Patrick or Brigid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorenco View Post
      Not if you call one of the ships after the River SUCK
      One would expect a modicum of basic cop on.

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
        Schoolkid compos to name the latest baby elephant/cub/chimp etc in the zoo is fine and well ,in effect its a clever marketing tool to get schoolkids (and parents g/parents etc) etc to visit the zoo,not quite appropriate for a state asset costing c60 m euros thats designed to hurt certain type of people if needsbe,its a weapon platform not a training ship like the Asgard.
        However its a lot cheaper than the usual state effort of subbing such matters out to PCW etc who will convene numerous focus groups ets and probably come back and reccemend the ship be named Patrick or Brigid.
        Not sure where you are coming from Danno. I thought the school competition was a good one. It raised the profile of the navy among prospective recruits and future taxpayers. The result Niamh was in keeping with naval tradition which was more than could be said for her predecessor.

Comment

• MOD can you add a 'poll' to this thread? seems like most of the options are out there ......

Comment

• Why don't they (Naval authorities) have an open day, bring in all the sea hags, their wives, kids, family and friends and say - you lot come up with the name- after all it's going to be your father/ mother/son/daughter/ husband/wife etc sailing it.
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              Why don't they (Naval authorities) have an open day, bring in all the sea hags, their wives, kids, family and friends and say - you lot come up with the name- after all it's going to be your father/ mother/son/daughter/ husband/wife etc sailing it.
              Open day happens every year. I like the idea of getting the families to choose a name.
              Last edited by Flintstone; 22 July 2012, 17:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
                One would expect a modicum of basic cop on.

Basic Cop On has been in very short supply in this poor country for a long time now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flintstone View Post
                  Open day happens every year. I like the idea of getting the families to choose a name.
                  More like every two years
                  Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorenco View Post
                    Basic Cop On has been in very short supply in this poor country for a long time now.
                    I really hope that before someone decided to name one of our new ships LE Suck someone else would say "FFS cop yourself on". I could be wrong but I hope not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                      I stand corrected but glad that it wasn't the victim of cutbacks.

Comment

• I can imagine the cat fight if it was up to the families to decide , and then the Air Corps might want to start giving their aircraft names followed by the Army putting personalised reg plates on armoured vehicles .
                        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

I can imagine the cat fight if it was up to the families to decide , and then the Air Corps might want to start giving their aircraft names followed by the Army putting personalised reg plates on armoured vehicles .
                          There is a tradition of the Lancia/RR armoured vehicles having ind names back in Free State days.

Comment

We must be due one this year so.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              We must be due one this year so.
                              Something to look forward to but what passes for Summer is passing fast.

Comment

• Bandit, any more off-topic posts and you will get points, this is the NS forum, not perverted politics, thank you.
                                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                                X