Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AC182 View Post
    I just maintain hope theyll see sense and revert to the old system.

I always felt abandoning the tradition of mythic figures was a mistake.
    Latest system is to unwary for me, but public can identify with the names used.

Comment

• LE Robbie Brady
      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• LE George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• There the class name goes from the dead poets society to the dead writers society!
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• GBS had quite a few connections with Carlow Town.

Comment

• Soviet russia too! From wiki:
              Shaw's enthusiasm for the Soviet Union dated to the early 1920s when he had hailed Lenin as "the one really interesting statesman in Europe".[172] Having turned down several chances to visit, in 1931 he joined a party led by Nancy Astor.[173] The carefully managed trip culminated in a lengthy meeting with Stalin, whom Shaw later described as "a Georgian gentleman" with no malice in him
              LOL
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                There the class name goes from the dead poets society to the dead writers society!
                Joyce wasnt much of a poet.
                For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Another literary genius no doubt but having moved away from here at 19 and developed questionable political leanings surely there was a better candidate. Yeats aside, the only credidentials required to have an Irish Naval Ship named for you is to have written some higher literary work appealing only to the scholarly mind and to have spent most of your life elsewhere. The P60's really are the class of questionable Irishmen. They did nothing to advance their country but we name bridges or boats after them.

Heaney, Kavanagh, Friel. Much better choices.

Comment

• National Naming choices

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                    Another literary genius no doubt but having moved away from here at 19 and developed questionable political leanings surely there was a better candidate. Yeats aside, the only credidentials required to have an Irish Naval Ship named for you is to have written some higher literary work appealing only to the scholarly mind and to have spent most of your life elsewhere. The P60's really are the class of questionable Irishmen. They did nothing to advance their country but we name bridges or boats after them.

We have politicised our naming of everything from Barracks, Housing estates, Roads,etc. It's strange that Mountjoy has escaped and not been renamed. Most of the P60's are named after eccentric Irishmen who had poor regard for Ireland in their live phase. Beckett gave a lecture at Trinity, while employed there on a non existent Jean De Chas and Concenterism. He was taking the P--s out of Pedantic imparting of knowledge. He then pi---d off to France.
                    We should consider recycling ships names MACHA, Cliona, Etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                      Another literary genius no doubt but having moved away from here at 19 and developed questionable political leanings surely there was a better candidate. Yeats aside, the only credidentials required to have an Irish Naval Ship named for you is to have written some higher literary work appealing only to the scholarly mind and to have spent most of your life elsewhere. The P60's really are the class of questionable Irishmen. They did nothing to advance their country but we name bridges or boats after them.

Maybe the next president won't be so well read and we will revert to the previous naming tradition. The shite names must be coming from his office

Comment

• Originally posted by ibenji View Post
                        Maybe the next president won't be so well read and we will revert to the previous naming tradition. The shite names must be coming from his office
                        Thought it first came Shatter when he was in charge?

Comment

• Continuing to try to fix what wasnt broken in the first place.

I always thought a new modern class of ship that reused older names cliona, maev, macha, grainne etc would have done a lot to highlight how far the navy has come from the days of second hand corrvettes and tons.

Ive no major oposition to the new names other than my own personal preference though.
                          Scheduled fun will commence at 1900Hrs.
                          Punishment beatings will continue until moral improves.

Comment

• Would prefer more warrey/aggresive type names , but the present batch of drunks names sticks in the publics mind better then names in Irish.

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                              Would prefer more warrey/aggresive type names , but the present batch of drunks names sticks in the publics mind better then names in Irish.
                              AS I've said before while I wouldn't like it they could be called "Tom, Dick, Harry and Mick" for all I care as long as we get new hulls and the manpower for them.

Comment

• So do we abbreviate , LE GBS or LE Shaw? I suppose we are keeping the 'good names' for when we actually get WARSHIPS instead of constabulary ships.
                                Sarsfield

Comment

Working...
                                X