Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish wildlife, current and extinct.

I always thought the Lough Neagh patrol vessels (now in Gibraltar and renamed HMS Sabre and Scimitar) had pretty mean names.

MV Grey Fox, and MV Grey Wolf. (MV because they were crewed by Royal Marine Commandos). And they looked the part as they set out on patrol from Massereene Barracks...very apocolypse now.

Or castles in Irish coastal counties.

Re Mr Wolfe Tone - does the fact that he was a freemason define who the man was?

And I'm not...before anyone asks.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by tomh903 View Post
      Personally I would like the ships to be named after someone who helped secured Irish independence Wolfe Tone is a great example he is regarded as the father of Irish republicism but he was also a protestant.
      It's also better known as the name of a provo funding pub band. No thanks.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

i dont think there is anything wrong with the current system however if it was to be changed people involved in our struggle for freedom would be great. the peace process is 14years old, is it not time we take back our history from the sinners? and be able to celebrate the achievements of people of wolfe tone, o'connell, pearse, connelly, griffin, and collins

i would be nice to see some ships named after rising figures for the centenary.

the unionists would probably kick up a fuss but sure they were down last week giving out that we should hold an orange parade in dublin because we are discriminating against the 400 orange members in the republic of ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Richkelly5 View Post
          i dont think there is anything wrong with the current system however if it was to be changed people involved in our struggle for freedom would be great. the peace process is 14years old, is it not time we take back our history from the sinners? and be able to celebrate the achievements of people of wolfe tone, o'connell, pearse, connelly, griffin, and collins
          Don't these people have enough things named after them? Indeed, so much that when someone says O'Connell Street, people ask which one.
          Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Originally posted by Richkelly5 View Post

i would be nice to see some ships named after rising figures for the centenary.

the unionists would probably kick up a fuss but sure they were down last week giving out that we should hold an orange parade in dublin because we are discriminating against the 400 orange members in the republic of ireland.
            Griffin?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Re Mr Wolfe Tone - does the fact that he was a freemason define who the man was?

It does without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Battletour View Post

It does without a doubt.
                Your poo pooing nearly everything that's been suggested- what do you suggest?
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  Your poo pooing nearly everything that's been suggested- what do you suggest?
                  Maybe geographical features, maybe counties, towns. Maybe reinforce the 'adoption' concept with the citizens of these counties and/or towns. How about LE Cork/Donegal/ Wicklow etc. for example. The LE Shannon, Liffey, Lee? Maybe the old titles such as Uisneach, Oriel, Breffni?

Comment

Yes but that is greatly outnumbered by the amount of GAA clubs named after him

Comment

What about??, Charles Davis Lucas, the Very first recipient of the Victoria Cross, served in the Royal Navy, and he's Irish..Can't think of a better person to have a ship named after them.
                      "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." -Francis Meehan.

Comment

I like the current method. Mind you I was seeing an Eithne for a while back in the day. It left scars.
                        Last edited by SpudGunner; 9 July 2012, 18:21.
                        " I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy"

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          You could paint it on the keel. You'd be reminded of him every time the bottom was scraped.
                          Will you stop. The fish would be jumping into French trawlers to get away from it. The Frenchies could claim (with some justification) that it was all a "steech-op".
                          " I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy"

Comment

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
                            The whole ""If it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude is responsible for a lot of problems for the DF, why not break with the norm just once and see if it works??, why not name them after famous Irish naval personnel???, e.g St. Brendan, Francis Beaufort or John Barry??
                            How about Edward Bransfield R.N. From Ballinacurra near Midleton East Cork. Who commanded the brig Williams that first discovered Antarctica in 1819. Pressganged into Royal Navy in 1803 and rose through the ranks to become Master of HMS Andromanche in 1817. the old Antarctic Supply Ship Bransfield is called after him.

OR any number of other Irish Born Arctic or Antarctic explorers. Shackelton. McClure, McClintock, Crozier The McCarthy brothers from Kinsale, Bob Forde from Cobh. My personal favourite would be Tom Crean. These were REAL heros.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenco View Post

OR any number of other Irish Born Arctic or Antarctic explorers. Shackelton. McClure, McClintock, Crozier The McCarthy brothers from Kinsale, Bob Forde from Cobh. My personal favourite would be Tom Crean. These were REAL heros.
                              There's a great idea.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the present Nameing system, it's incredibly non-confrontational and bestows a certain uniqueness on the NS fleet.
                                If it were to change, then we have lots of cities and large towns not to mention a few sizeable hills.
                                As for presidents, yuck, liars, cowards, and tree huggers, damn it man, we could have got a terrorist as a president, he might be a NI politican now, but the b/tard is still going to the 7th circle of hell!
                                Could you imagine a ship called devalera for example, I'd quite happly blow that up myself, maybe we should delete this thread before some brain-dead civil servant sees it and puts it out as a good idea
                                "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                                Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                                Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                                X