Thanks Thanks:  57
Likes Likes:  333
Dislikes Dislikes:  29
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 448
  1. #1
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

    Anyone any views re the naming of new PVs.Wonder is the time right for a new direction such as naming after past Presidents.Using mythical names ensured a nonpolitical/original source of names but with the advent of newer more formiddable vessels using the names of Presidents who were elected by a majority of the citizenry might be progressive and promote interest in the persons concerned,their contribution and the times they lived in.

  2. Dislikes Buck disliked this post
  3. #2
    Closed Account Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Anyone any views re the naming of new PVs.Wonder is the time right for a new direction such as naming after past Presidents.Using mythical names ensured a nonpolitical/original source of names but with the advent of newer more formiddable vessels using the names of Presidents who were elected by a majority of the citizenry might be progressive and promote interest in the persons concerned,their contribution and the times they lived in.
    What do we do after ship 8? Start over? Plus, why name a ship after a president, who while in government as taoiseach found it acceptable to have NO naval service in time of war?
    Lets stick with our current tradition. Plenty of names there yet.

  4. Likes Lorenco liked this post
  5. #3
    Captain Jetjock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,676
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too would like to see a break from tradition. Post peace process there is an opportunity to reach for a new level of inclusiveness with the namings. Someone like Gordon Wilson. Born south of the border and as much a hero of this island, north or south, as any president.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_..._campaigner%29

  6. Likes jack nastyface, apod liked this post
  7. #4
    Closed Account Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    And what isn't inclusive about the names from pre-colonial mythology?

  8. Likes Galloglass liked this post
  9. #5
    Major General ODIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    L.É. Collins anyone?
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

  10. Likes apc liked this post
    Dislikes Goldie fish disliked this post
  11. #6
    CQMS jack nastyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should name them after things in contemporary Ireland.
    LE Begrudgery.
    LE Me Feiner.
    I can just picture the scene of panic in the wheelhouse of a fishing trawler, trying to get the log book up to date, as LE Corrupt Politician hoves into view on the horizon, bow wave frothing, etc etc...

  12. Likes Lorenco, Buck, Turkey, Meatbomb liked this post
  13. #7
    Captain Jetjock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,676
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    And what isn't inclusive about the names from pre-colonial mythology?
    Colonial? If you go back far enough sure we're all just blow ins.

    One problem is its not a universally shared mythology.

  14. Likes pmtts liked this post
  15. #8
    Commander in Chief hptmurphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    12,981
    Post Thanks / Like
    After Presidents.......like fcuk...prefer to have them name after young ladies in various ports that offered services!
    Just visiting

  16. Likes apc, Lorenco, Buck, Truck Driver liked this post
  17. #9
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    After Presidents.......like fcuk...prefer to have them name after young ladies in various ports that offered services!
    Have to include a few non native names so.

  18. #10
    Amadan Orion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Osborne's Very Very Broke Island
    Posts
    1,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not use county town names, all 32, Navan, Coleraine, Waterford, Armagh, Tralee. That's about as inclusive as it gets.

  19. Likes Jetjock, Truck Driver liked this post
  20. #11
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    375
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok here's a couple of suggestions......

    Found here.. http://mysite.verizon.net/cbladey/ir...Page.boys.html

    Brid - (BREED) Old Irish goddess name from Celtic brig "power, renown, mighty." Most famous woman saint of Ireland is Brigid (patron saint of scholars), who was abbess of Kildare,

    Dubh - from dub "dark." A druidess who drowned the rival for her husband's affections. Her husband shot her with his sling, and she fell into a pool that was then called Dubhlinn, or
    Dublin.

    Fidelma - (fee-DEL-ma) Old Irish=name Fedelm. Fedelm Noichrothach (Fedelm Nine-Times-Beautiful) was the daughter of King Conchobar mac Nessa of Ulster, and a woman warrior.

    Mona - (MOH-na) Old Irish=name Muadnat, derived from muad "noble, good." Saint Muadnat of Drumcliffe. Muadnat, Muadhnait (MOO-uh-nit).
    Moninne - a version of the name Blinne. A Saint Moninne worked at a Kildare hospital in the time of Saint Brighid where she healed the sick and gave generously to the poor. She established
    a community at the foot of Slieve Gullion in Killevy, County Armagh.

    Muireann - (MEER-an or MOHR-in) Old Irish=muir "sea", may also mean "sea-white" or "sea-fair." Wife of Finn mac Cumhaill's son Oisin. A legendary Queen Muireann was
    ancestrss of the kings of Connacht. Four abbesses of Kildare also had this name

    Nessa - (NES-ah) An From the Old Irish, Nessa was the name of the mother of Conchobar mac Nessa, great legendary king of Ulster. Her original name was Assa "gentle", until one day she
    came home and found her 12 foster fathers murdered by an outlaw band. She avenged their deaths and changed her name to Ni-assa "ungentle", or Nessa.

    Sadhbh - (SAH-eev or SAYV) Old Irish=Sadb, prob. meaning "sweet" or "goodness." Name of several real Irish princesses, including daughters of Conn of the Hundred Battles,

    not an exclusive list but at least something to think about!
    There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

  21. Likes Goldie fish, hptmurphy, Lorenco liked this post
  22. #12
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mayo
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Past Presidents???? There is no one who held that office that would be in any way worthy enough to be named after one of our ships.

  23. Likes Lorenco liked this post
  24. #13
    Serf hedgehog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    14,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Battletour View Post
    Past Presidents???? There is no one who held that office that would be in any way worthy enough to be named after one of our ships.
    LE Mary mcAleese.,- the best Pres we ever had and an ardent supporter and admirer of the DF.
    "And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak, that we are all that stands between the monsters and the weak."
    Michael Marks

  25. #14
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mayo
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best president we ever had is not a difficult accolade to achieve. Words, even uttered by presidents, are cheap.

  26. Likes hptmurphy, The real Jack liked this post
  27. #15
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mayo
    Posts
    609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mary McAleese. Is that the same Commander-in-Chief of the Defence Forces that suggested that PIRA might form an Old Comrades Association????????
    I think so! So much for ardent support if her forces!

  28. #16
    CQMS
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have a tradition going back since the corvettes arrived. We are a long way from exhausting names in Irish mythology. The names are non-sectarian, non political, non religious and unlikely to cause offence to anyone in this nation of people looking for a reason to phone Joe Duffy. FFS if it ain't broke don't fix it.

  29. Thanks Goldie fish thanked for this post
    Likes Lorenco, ollie, hptmurphy liked this post
  30. #17
    Elpa
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jack nastyface View Post
    We should name them after things in contemporary Ireland.
    LE Begrudgery.
    LE Me Feiner.
    I can just picture the scene of panic in the wheelhouse of a fishing trawler, trying to get the log book up to date, as LE Corrupt Politician hoves into view on the horizon, bow wave frothing, etc etc...
    L.E Banker or L.E. Seanie Fitzpatrick or L.E. Bertie

  31. #18
    Elpa
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's not forget L.E. Biffo. You could even paint his ugly mug on the bows. dose'nt bear thinking about.

  32. #19
    Closed Account Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could paint it on the keel. You'd be reminded of him every time the bottom was scraped.

  33. Likes Lorenco, Truck Driver, ollie liked this post
  34. #20
    Elpa
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    You could paint it on the keel. You'd be reminded of him every time the bottom was scraped.
    Not even barnacles would grow there. He's so poisionous he'd most likely eat through the keel.

    I,ve heard of the Irish Rover, God save us from the Offaly Rover.

  35. #21
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    It doesnt have to be past presidents,this was a suggestion to put people thinking,could just as easily be after rivers,ports,patriots,famous Irish seafarers/inventors etc etc.There is nothing wrong as such with the existing system,perhaps its time for a change, develope a theme to reflect going foward as opposed to the mythstical past.If tradition was fixed and final then Clonmel,Mulligar,Griffith,Clancy etc would still be open for business.

  36. Likes Lorenco, Jetjock liked this post
  37. #22
    Captain Jetjock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
    We have a tradition going back since the corvettes arrived. We are a long way from exhausting names in Irish mythology. The names are non-sectarian, non political, non religious and unlikely to cause offence to anyone in this nation of people looking for a reason to phone Joe Duffy. FFS if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    The system has arrived at some of the worst named naval vessels anywhere. Eithne? Ffs, absolute Cac.

    Rivers, towns, counties. Anything but Fidelma.

  38. #23
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Irish Lights dipped into the same pond for Gruanaile.no prob there,however Customs went for (translated) Surveyor and Vigilent ,the boats havent sunk for the break with tradition (fair enough they are very small).Who actually decides in any event,are the public who are paying for the ships canvassed.

  39. #24
    Closed Account Goldie fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    you already know too much
    Posts
    33,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Irish Lights dipped into the same pond for Gruanaile.no prob there,however Customs went for (translated) Surveyor and Vigilent ,the boats havent sunk for the break with tradition (fair enough they are very small).Who actually decides in any event,are the public who are paying for the ships canvassed.
    Not quite true.
    ILS recycled an old name, as has been their tradition. The names Ierne, Isolda, Isaalt, and Grainuaile have been used since the service begun. The current ship is the third Granuaile.
    "Suirbheir" is a rank formerly used by customs and excise the Other boat is called "Faire" or lookout, another historic rank, no longer in use. The organisation never had cutters before, so a new tradition was created.
    I notice the Gardai don't bother naming their boat. On AIS it only shows up as GWU1.

  40. #25
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,207
    Post Thanks / Like
    So JJ has "issues" with Eithne and Fidelma tell us more, you're among friends here, we won't tell anyone, honest.

    regards
    GttC

  41. Likes Truck Driver liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •