No announcement yet.

Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's not forget our famous writers , L.E Joyce , L.E Shaw , L.E Wilde ( not sure if everyone would be happy to serve on the last one )
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
      Fair enough,at least you are prepared to consider an alternative to current practise.
      Only with the greatest reluctance. I like tradition. It is one of the pillars of military organisations. It engenders esprit de corps without which a military unit cannot function.

As far as I can ascertain no one has given a good reason to abandon this tradition other than for change itself. There are good reasons not to abandon the present system, the main one from my point of view is the danger of political interference.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
        When you say served Ireland, Would you included the likes of Shackleton and Ton Crean. who brought honour to Ireland while it was under a different flag. ?
        Only when we had exhausted the ones who served under a green flag either with a harp or white and orange.

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
          Let's not forget our famous writers , L.E Joyce , L.E Shaw , L.E Wilde ( not sure if everyone would be happy to serve on the last one )
          I would,nt like to be asked to look for the Golden rivet on that one.

Comment

I second that no .
            I third that no.

Comment

Of course we could always sell naming rights /sponcership to the ships . Yes you can have your company name and logo on the hull for x amount of Euro . Imagine Eithne's funnels painted as two pints of Guinness .

Comment

Of course we could always sell naming rights /sponcership to the ships . Yes you can have your company name and logo on the hull for x amount of Euro . Imagine Eithne's funnels painted as two pints of Guinness .
                Don't the PV's already have cartoon characters Yosimite Sam and Pepe le Peu on their funnels.

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                  We are never going to have a huge fleet so we will not be short of names. The current system works why change it? if it is changed try and select people who served Ireland. Wolfe Tone, Fr Murphy, Barry, Pearse, Larkin, Connolly , etc people who were not afraid to put their lives on the line for this country, Maybe even Mc Guinness, Adams, in a few decades times. ( that will stir the pot)
                  Celtic Warrior stuff sounds like a bunch of enviro...
                  I think every Corpo housing estate has first call on that list of names

Comment

To winpy

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                      I think every Corpo housing estate has first call on that list of names
                      Liam Mellows has three streets in Finglas named after him .

Comment

Intresting that Haulbowline maintained it's name from the original occupants , unlike all the Army instalations which took on new names at the start of independence .

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                          We are never going to have a huge fleet so we will not be short of names. The current system works why change it? if it is changed try and select people who served Ireland. Wolfe Tone, Fr Murphy, Barry, Pearse, Larkin, Connolly , etc people who were not afraid to put their lives on the line for this country, Maybe even Mc Guinness, Adams, in a few decades times. ( that will stir the pot)
                          Celtic Warrior stuff sounds like a bunch of enviro...
                          You cpould use the last few names straightoff for target ships.

Comment

Intresting that Haulbowline maintained it's name from the original occupants , unlike all the Army instalations which took on new names at the start of independence .
                            It is odd that the naval base has no name other than the Naval Base. Haulbowline was the name of the island when there was no naval presence there, but the Irish name remains Inis Sionnach. Some of the Buildings may have had RN names over the years which remained too. Was the Basin once called Victoria Dock? It is surprising that the other treaty ports, for the most part(bere Island being another exception) had their installations renamed from British to Irish ones.
                            Is it time the Naval base was named after a suitably Nautical Patriot?
                            Casement was used, What about Fort Childers?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Is it time the Naval base was named after a suitably Nautical Patriot
                              ?

No!!!!

Piss off and stop stirring it!
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                It is odd that the naval base has no name other than the Naval Base. Haulbowline was the name of the island when there was no naval presence there, but the Irish name remains Inis Sionnach. Some of the Buildings may have had RN names over the years which remained too. Was the Basin once called Victoria Dock? It is surprising that the other treaty ports, for the most part(bere Island being another exception) had their installations renamed from British to Irish ones.
                                Is it time the Naval base was named after a suitably Nautical Patriot?
                                Casement was used, What about Fort Childers?
                                Edward Bransfield !!! After all he was born just a few miles east in Ballinacurra. No doubt he often sailed past and or landed on Haulbowline in his youth. And he was a Corkman.!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X