Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
    What about??, Charles Davis Lucas, the Very first recipient of the Victoria Cross, served in the Royal Navy, and he's Irish..Can't think of a better person to have a ship named after them.
    Tell us more. I'd like to hear more about him please.

Comment

What about naming them after people on this board? The L.E Hedgehog?, The L.E Tim Horgan anyone..............?????

Comment

Originally posted by Herald View Post
        What about naming them after people on this board? The L.E Hedgehog?, The L.E Tim Horgan anyone..............?????
        Do you really want people to say they are hedgehogs seamen??
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

L .E Wellington , sure the Duke himself was born in Dublin .
          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenco View Post
            How about Edward Bransfield R.N. From Ballinacurra near Midleton East Cork. Who commanded the brig Williams that first discovered Antarctica in 1819. Pressganged into Royal Navy in 1803 and rose through the ranks to become Master of HMS Andromanche in 1817. the old Antarctic Supply Ship Bransfield is called after him.

OR any number of other Irish Born Arctic or Antarctic explorers. Shackelton. McClure, McClintock, Crozier The McCarthy brothers from Kinsale, Bob Forde from Cobh. My personal favourite would be Tom Crean. These were REAL heros.
            Wasn't there a recent NS recruit class called Shackelton? You may have just given us the name(s) of future NS recruit classes
            "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

, The L.E Tim Horgan anyone..............?????
              F**k sake, another one to blow up, how many Harpoon anti-ship missles do you think I can get my hands on FGS?!
              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Some good suggestions appearing,if there is no change from present system ,fair enough,but lets trust some sound research and not find the NS with ships called afetr ancient fairey/leprachain type characters. A change to "Celtic Defender....Warrior etc would be apoor choice in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by Battletour View Post
                  Re Mr Wolfe Tone - does the fact that he was a freemason define who the man was?

It does without a doubt.
                  Why?
                  'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Thats it...sorted...

LE Grainneog.

LE Lasc Orga.

LE O Murchadh.

OK I used Google I don't speak da lingo but there you go...ships named after real 'characters'!!!!

As for LE Tim Horgan...LE Baron Castleshort more like....
                    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                      L .E Wellington , sure the Duke himself was born in Dublin .
                      It's probably apocryphal, but Wellington is supposed to have replied to a person who brought up the topic of his birthplace, thus:

"Just because Jesus was born in a stable, doesn't make him a donkey!"

So for sheer comedy purposes, if I was benevolent dictator, there'd have to be an LE Wellington.

Seriously though, I think the existing naming scheme is fine and really doesn't need to be changed.

Comment

The existing naming system works for the PV's. If the NS ever operates a different class of vessel it should have a different naming system for that class.

Comment

It's hard to find fault with the present scheme and in fact it is rather unique . And when explaining the origins of the ships name to non Irish visitors to the ships ( espicialy yanks ) the reaction is very positive .
                          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

If the NS ever operates a different class of vessel it should have a different naming system for that class
                            It did..auxiliaries A15 L.E. Setanta and L.E Ferdia, A 16 ( I Think)

But the names were male.

Note the Class of Patrol Vessel are also subdivided but still are named after females

PVs
                            OPVs
                            CPV

and a former HPV
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

A possible compromise, in my opinion would be to name each class as currently, after females in Irish Ancient history/mythology, but have each class using the same first letter.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                                Some good suggestions appearing,if there is no change from present system ,fair enough,but lets trust some sound research and not find the NS with ships called afetr ancient fairey/leprachain type characters.
                                That rules out naming it after the current president so.....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X