X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P61 etc

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarsfield View Post
      So do we abbreviate , LE GBS or LE Shaw? I suppose we are keeping the 'good names' for when we actually get WARSHIPS instead of constabulary ships.

No abbreviations unfortunately. As stated above, easier to use Pennant numbers.

Don't think we will ever see real warships to be honest. Naval standards = big money!!

Comment

• Maybe the less war like names is a policy to reinforce our ' Neutrality ' .
        Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
          Maybe the less war like names is a policy to reinforce our ' Neutrality ' .
          Would not be surprised. considering the DoD paid extra to have the NBC equipment removed/not included, in the Scrops incase it scared people

Comment

• Scrops?
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• I thought that story about the Scorpions was just apocryphal - presumably removing the built in NBC would add expense, so why would bean counters actually approve it? Can anyone actually confirm whether it happened or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                I thought that story about the Scorpions was just apocryphal - presumably removing the built in NBC would add expense, so why would bean counters actually approve it? Can anyone actually confirm whether it happened or not?
                Apparently so

It was feared the words NBC would frighten the public

Comment

• Originally posted by Laners View Post
                  Maybe the less war like names is a policy to reinforce our ' Neutrality ' .
                  Perhaps something like the RN Flower class corvettes? HMS Buttercup scares the proverbial out of me.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    Apparently so

It was feared the words NBC would frighten the public
                    So they had issued every household with Bás Beatha which explained nuclear blast and fallout and then someone decided the Defence Forces shouldn't have the equipment to cope in an NBC contaminated environment? When both Civil Defence and the DF had a publicly known role in a nuclear accident/exchange? The story doesn't add up. Worth an FOI if there is any truth to it though!

Comment

• I've still got me post 9/11 iodine tablets FFS! I dont think we panicked, the mother has the book at home for the district for evacuation in case of nuclear fallout from her days in the civ defence during the 60s!
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                        So they had issued every household with Bás Beatha which explained nuclear blast and fallout and then someone decided the Defence Forces shouldn't have the equipment to cope in an NBC contaminated environment? When both Civil Defence and the DF had a publicly known role in a nuclear accident/exchange? The story doesn't add up. Worth an FOI if there is any truth to it though!
                        Remember DoD people are not in the business of warry things

Comment

• The NBC kit on a scorpion is merely a cartridge style filter that clips on to the rear of the hull. Not having it fitted allows the turret to carry an extra 5 rounds of main gun ammo.
                          Don't believe all the tall tales you hear.

None of which has anything to do with the topic.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• try and stay vaugly on the topic, some of us have a life......sorta.
                            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Current minister suggesting a return to the old naming system may be afoot, lays the blame on the recent change firmly at the feet of Alan Shatter.
                              I will read it into the record. To be frank, it is not an issue to which I have given consideration. Now that the Deputy has raised it, I certainly will and perhaps discuss it further with him. As he said, the tradition was to name them after Irish female mythological figures. In 2013, the then Minister instructed that a review of the naming policy should be undertaken. Following that review, the Minister came to the view that naming the ships after world-renowned Irish literary figures reflected a more modern and inclusive Ireland. The current position is that decisions relating to the naming of these vessels are under consideration and have yet to be taken. Perhaps we could marry the two.​
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• So the Dead Poets Society is no more?
                                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X