Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by A/TEL View Post
    Sorry to be snaggy HH but no platoons in the NS.

They are Recruit Classes

Outside of Recruit Training there are 4 different Divisions in the NS,
    Logistics, Communications, Executive, Engineering
    We do like the army have Units, Sub-Units and Companies (Ships crews are known as Ships Companies)

No worries mate, however I think big bula bas to the Navy for naming "Recruit classes" after someone symbolic, instead of our numerical system. I think we should rob that idea and pretend we had it al along.

In Naval base HQ, are the buildings, passageways, billets named after people and such or is it like us simply numerical ?
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
      So where does the P-number come from?

regards
      GttC
      Its from the different types of ships.
      OPVs P2x, HPV P31, CPVs P4x and LPVs P5x.

Comment

• So where does the P-number come from?

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
        Its from the different types of ships.
        OPVs P2x, HPV P31, CPVs P4x and LPVs P5x.

P stands for Patrol Vessel

F for Frigate

D for Destroyer

Etc etc...

Comment

• The Minesweepers had CM, for Coastal Minesweeper , and i believe Deirdre originaly had FP , for Fishery Protection , Setanta had an A for Auxillairy .
          Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

• The L.E often gets taken to be law enforcement.

Comment

• Or worse, "le" as used in French.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• I once spoke to a Brit Arty type who asked rhetorically what was the best way to distinguish a Destroyer from a Frigate ( for NGFS)...... Thought of counting guns or smoke stacks ( like AFV recognition )..... He then stated quite humorously that an F-51 was a frigate but a D-51 would be a destroyer , the clue was in the designation written on the side, D for destroyer , F for Frigate !

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Booted Man View Post
                  I once spoke to a Brit Arty type who asked rhetorically what was the best way to distinguish a Destroyer from a Frigate ( for NGFS)...... Thought of counting guns or smoke stacks ( like AFV recognition )..... He then stated quite humorously that an F-51 was a frigate but a D-51 would be a destroyer , the clue was in the designation written on the side, D for destroyer , F for Frigate !
                  Captain Obvious of the Royal Artillery , I think I've met him.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    No worries mate, however I think big bula bas to the Navy for naming "Recruit classes" after someone symbolic, instead of our numerical system. I think we should rob that idea and pretend we had it al along.

In Naval base HQ, are the buildings, passageways, billets named after people and such or is it like us simply numerical ?
                    Most buildings are called after their use, eg NHQ, Supply Stores. The old iconic stores buildings are numbered, eg Block 4. Some streets still retain their old names which were RN Ships, eg Hero Row. A landing point is still called Alexandra stairs after the then Princess of Wales who landed there back when God was a boy

Comment

• Ancient legend say that for a brief time Eithne had a 'F' as opposed to a P on her hull.

Some smart bollocks had painted out part of the P to make it look like an F but was rapidly found out.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• During the first trip to New York I think.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Correct and right!
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• So the names are out Samuel Beckett and James Joyce, what an unexpected departure but I like it!

Comment

• Shame they didn't go for LE (Nora) Barnacle

Comment

• wouldve preferred
                                LE Cuchulain
                                or
                                LE Conchobar
                                etc

f**king playwrights and writers - both of whom lived more time out of this country than in it.

Its like sailing in the HMS Enid Blyton!

well at least Beckett won a war medal of some sort.

Sounds like the commander in chief may have had a limp wristed hand in this.
                                Last edited by morpheus; 11 June 2013, 15:40.
                                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Working...
                                X