No announcement yet.

Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's also easy to have a good guess as to what the EPV will be called - the WB Yeats.

The use of authors names has a logic. We don't have a pantheon of historic naval heroes to call on, and calling a patrol vessel LE DESTRUCTOR! (or Indefatigable or Invincible or whatever) would just be silly. Similarly, using 'mythical' heroes names is kind of silly - not least because many of these myths were only really propagated in the late 19th century. The use of city names makes sense (note, there are only 5 cities in the State), so larger ships could be called after cities, and smaller ships could be called after towns (although people would give out about LE Kilkenny or LE Clonmel given that they're landlocked, and the lobbying thing would be a pain) but hey, maybe we'll get to that after we've exhausted authors names. I still like the use of girls names, and there are plenty more left that could be used, but time moves on.

The international element is key here. We probably don't recognise it, but by far and away our most visible and successful impact on the larger world has been through our writers. Practically no one outside of Ireland has heard of or will ever care about the Táin or the Ulster Cycle, and the use of girls names is a bit innoccuous. Names like Joyce and Beckett are globally known, and if you want to use the NS to represent the State abroad, either on flag flying visits or on operations, there is instant name recognition and association back to the State. This is about building a brand for the NS, both in Ireland and outside of it; using authors names is a good way of doing it (if this is true, of course).

Comment

• I like your design, your own or a once official thought somewhere ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aidan View Post
        It's also easy to have a good guess as to what the EPV will be called - the WB Yeats.

The use of authors names has a logic. We don't have a pantheon of historic naval heroes to call on, and calling a patrol vessel LE DESTRUCTOR! (or Indefatigable or Invincible or whatever) would just be silly. Similarly, using 'mythical' heroes names is kind of silly - not least because many of these myths were only really propagated in the late 19th century. The use of city names makes sense (note, there are only 5 cities in the State), so larger ships could be called after cities, and smaller ships could be called after towns (although people would give out about LE Kilkenny or LE Clonmel given that they're landlocked, and the lobbying thing would be a pain) but hey, maybe we'll get to that after we've exhausted authors names. I still like the use of girls names, and there are plenty more left that could be used, but time moves on.

The international element is key here. We probably don't recognise it, but by far and away our most visible and successful impact on the larger world has been through our writers. Practically no one outside of Ireland has heard of or will ever care about the Táin or the Ulster Cycle, and the use of girls names is a bit innoccuous. Names like Joyce and Beckett are globally known, and if you want to use the NS to represent the State abroad, either on flag flying visits or on operations, there is instant name recognition and association back to the State. This is about building a brand for the NS, both in Ireland and outside of it; using authors names is a good way of doing it (if this is true, of course).

Absolutely no need to break tradition, what is wrong with women's named from Irish mythology?

There is plenty of famous Irish naval people, but many never wore NS uniform.

Actually LE Yeats could be fitting seeing the LE Macha brought his body from France to Silgo.

Comment

• given the centenary, i thought that calling them after the 1916 Seven Signatories was more probable, and would like to see the LE pearse, and LE Collins for the Two EPV's

Comment

• Political figures would be very difficult.

Personally, I'd see Parnell, O'Connell or Kevin O'Higgins used before Pearse (some difficult history there, aside from his political activities). Even Roger Casement would be better as far as a lot of people would be concerned, which just goes to show how contentious it would be. The person chosen would depend on the party in Govt. The LE De Valera vs the LE Garret Fitzgerald? Better to avoid that sideshow to be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              3. Michael D is our elected President and you would do well to respect his office.
              Ive nothing against the president or his office, I just think that given he is the commander in chief of the DF and also his literary background that it would be an arguable assumption to make that the president (also a renowned poet and author) would have had some input? Im just saying theres a chance that its true!
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• also a renowned poet and author
                Really?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aidan View Post
                  Really?
                  yes, ive read some of it. each to their own!
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                    Ive nothing against the president or his office, I just think that given he is the commander in chief of the DF and also his literary background that it would be an arguable assumption to make that the president (also a renowned poet and author) would have had some input? Im just saying theres a chance that its true!
                    You'd be wrong. I started hearing these rumours long before the current President was elected.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• I've always worried about you.

Comment

• Can't we call one the L.E. Warmonger/Skullcrusher/Morrigu?

Just to mess with people.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          You'd be wrong. I started hearing these rumours long before the current President was elected.
                          Fair enough, I retract my assumptions so. I still think its just weird, we already have a bridge named after one of them. What about naming them after presidents? - no wait.... LE Devalera.... Sporting heroes? LE Michelle De Bruin.... Actors? Oh on second thoughts I can see why it makes sense.

then we could have been creative and actually THOUGHT about it.... explorers, scientists, physicists, chemists, all explorers whether it be geographic or in various scientific or biological fields...

LE Shackleton (Explorer)
                          LE Beaufort (Explorer)
                          LE Boyle (Robert Boyle) Chemist (Boyles Law)
                          LE Stokes (Sir George Stokes, 1st Baronet, Stokes Law)
                          LE Crean (Explorer)
                          LE Forde (Explorer)
                          LE Brendan (Explorer the saint (probably too secular for that) who found america before columbus)

and just for you Aiden, some WB Yeats

What need you, being come to sense,
                          But fumble in a greasy till
                          And add the halfpence to the pence
                          And prayer to shivering prayer, until
                          You have dried the marrow from the bone;
                          For men were born to pray and save;
                          Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
                          It's with O'Leary in the grave.

Yet they were of a different kind,
                          The names that stilled your childish play,
                          They have gone about the world like wind,
                          But little time had they to pray
                          For whom the hangman's rope was spun,
                          And what, God help us, could they save?

Was it for this the wild geese spread
                          The grey wing upon every tide;
                          For this that all that blood was shed,
                          For this Edward Fitzgerald died,
                          And Robert Emmet and Wolfe Tone,
                          All that delirium of the brave?

Yet could we turn the years again,
                          And call those exiles as they were
                          In all their loneliness and pain,
                          You'd cry `Some woman's yellow hair
                          Has maddened every mother's son':
                          They weighed so lightly what they gave.
                          But let them be, they're dead and gone,
                          They're with O'Leary in the grave
                          Last edited by morpheus; 12 June 2013, 12:09.

Comment

• Err, LE Charles Parsons, LE John Holland.
                            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• LE Wave of tears
                              LE Sword of Fire
                              LE Valley of Doom
                              LE Hammer of Smiting
                              LE Shield of Despair

Comment

• By breaking with old tradition (mythical Irish women, of which most have been used already) we have opened the options to not just authors, but all Irishmen who are known for their deeds rather than their words.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X