Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
    Err, LE Charles Parsons, LE John Holland.
    surely we should wait till we get a submarine for holland
    Last edited by paul g; 12 June 2013, 13:15.

Comment

• we already have a submarine ... albeit unmanned! (ok so technically its an ROV... but meh!)
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Actually, Robert Emmet or Wolfe Tone would work too.

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          LE Wave of tears
          LE Sword of Fire
          LE Valley of Doom
          LE Hammer of Smiting
          LE Shield of Despair

These Warhammer 40k names or summat?
          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            1. Why is it wrong?
            2. It's nothing to do with Michael D
            3. Michael D is our elected President and you would do well to respect his office.

Respect the office alright, no one says one has to respect the person occupying it...

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
              cant wait to for the Oscar wilde
              Formerly a Car ferry as was /ulysees by James Joyce.

If the ships were to be named in relation to maritime related persons who albeit only been born here , Barry, etc. it would be more acceptable to me.

No doubt some one will pick up on the James Joyce / David Norris connection.....LE Paedo!

mythical Irish women, of which most have been used already
              And why not use them again.....Other navies do it the whole time.
              Last edited by hptmurphy; 12 June 2013, 15:31.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Because nobody but the Irish can pronounce them.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
                  given the centenary, i thought that calling them after the 1916 Seven Signatories was more probable, and would like to see the LE pearse, and LE Collins for the Two EPV's
                  To corpo housing estate.

I like LE Shackleton. LE Crean .
                  Last edited by sofa; 12 June 2013, 22:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turkey View Post
                    Respect the office alright, no one says one has to respect the person occupying it...
                    Thanks to the back room boys in RTE's news and current affairs

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      Because nobody but the Irish can pronounce them.

We are preoccupied with other countries, do the russian or chinese worry that other nationalities wont be able to pronounce their ships names?.

We should be embracing our Irish names, its part of our identity.

Eireannach agus brodiul!!

Comment

• I like the new names. Tradition is all very well but it shouldn't have a veto and having said that just how trad were the old names anyway?

It's a new direction and maybe,just maybe,a nod to modernity.

Mind you any of the following would have made my year.

LE Shatterer Of Worlds
                        LE Bloodtide Of Widowhood
                        And just to wind the neighbours up
                        LE Belfast
                        LE Derry
                        Last edited by SpudGunner; 13 June 2013, 01:55.
                        " I will not have my fwiends widiculed by the common soldiewy"

Comment

• Since even an 8 ship navy is still too small for the requirements of the size of our territorial area, why not re-instate a previous naming associated with such a problem: LE Faith, LE Hope, LE Charity, and maybe LE Desperation if a 4th name was needed.
                          Last edited by Turkey; 13 June 2013, 12:20. Reason: typed something wrong 'cause I was asleep..

Comment

• At least its not the Oscar Wilde or Wilde Oscar,

Comment

• Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                              At least its not the Oscar Wilde or Wilde Oscar,
                              Why not? Have you some problem with Wilde too?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Because nobody but the Irish can pronounce them.
                                Fcuk them !

Our Ships are unique as is their operation as is our Naval Service thus deserve their naming to be unique in nature and not named for convenience of those who may never engae with any of our naval vessels if that is your reasoning.

The little bits of tradition still associated with our Naval Service should not be thrown away . A high proportion of the names in use are used by actual people, two of my own kids have Irish girls names, used by the ships and no one has issue in pronouncing them and most people admire the names and comment positively on the originality and meaning of the names when explained.

Now have them changed or both my daughters will be en route to your gaff to kick your head in!
                                Last edited by hptmurphy; 13 June 2013, 12:12.
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X