Naming of Irish Naval Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
    So the names are out Samuel Beckett and James Joyce, what an unexpected departure but I like it!
    I think, perhaps deleting the christian name [yes I meant christian, f**k pc] would make the names more acceptable, LE Beckett and LE Joyce sound better to me.
    But I really cannot understand breaking with a tradition that has worked and worked well. If people abroad cannot pronounce the names,[worst I heard was Aoife pronounced A-OFF by a yank] that's largely their loss.
    Last edited by Turkey; 13 June 2013, 14:56.
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• I wish it was Oscar Wilde, one of the best thinkers and orators we have produced.

And it would also signal another break from the sickness of homophobia which this country's males seems to suffer from, the many homosexual sailors of today modern navy don't have to experience much if any by the way the navy is a very accepting place than most work places.

You'd get much more flak for openly supporting the scumbags of Fianna Fáil than you would for been gay.

But I'd say we'll be waiting for the close minded in country to due off before that, he'll we can't get a park in Dublin named after him let alone a ship.

Comment

• Here's an interesting one, I think James Joyce was never an Irish Citizen , whilst living in Switzerland he had difficulty getting his daughter out of occupied France ( she was also a British Citizen) and despite getting onto the Irish Ambassador he had no joy http://www.difp.ie/docs/Volume6/1941/3394.htm . Should we be naming our vessels after a man who didn't take out citizenship in our newly independent state ?? Can see that causing a bit of a storm with those of a greener hue !

Comment

• I can see it coming 'L.E. Emanuelle Bucket' and 'L.E. Jaynes Choice'

if we break with tradition will they still be painted grey of will some 'art' by Andy Warhol be dug up to decorate them?

Can wait to see what the crests will look like
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Can't help thinking there's more than a little irony here naming the vessels after writers.

The pen is mightier than the sword ??

Comment

• I think some of the commenters here may need to review their medication.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• The reality is that some of our traditional national military and political heros are not shared by all inhabitants of the entire island and no Irish government will sanction the naming of a high profile state asset that will be in use for 30 plus years after something that may not sit well with all sides of the political domain.

Comment

• I heard that there was an article in a newspaper during the week about James Joyce's grandson protesting against any plan to name the new Naval vessel after his grandfather. I couldn't find anything online about it but it basically said that James Joyce would never want a military ship named after him especially an Irish Naval vessel as he hated everything military, he was not Irish but British, lived most of his life outside Ireland and was opposed to Irish independence.

Comment

• Well, to be fair, everyone born on the Island of Ireland before 1948 was British.

Comment

• Based on the current way vessels are named, it's unlikely that the LE Joyce will come into existence, and even if the naming policy was to change, there are a long list of candidates to consider before we come to Joyce in my opinion.
                      What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Cynics will refer to Lord Haw Haw in that event.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                          Based on the current way vessels are named, it's unlikely that the LE Joyce will come into existence, and even if the naming policy was to change, there are a long list of candidates to consider before we come to Joyce in my opinion.
                          You'd be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                            Based on the current way vessels are named, it's unlikely that the LE Joyce will come into existence, and even if the naming policy was to change, there are a long list of candidates to consider before we come to Joyce in my opinion.

The decision has been made. Read the previous posts. Like it or not its happening.

Comment

• In that case someone needs to do some website maintenance:

"The NS Fleet keeps the tradition of naming its vessels after famous women from Irish and Celtic mythology. Currently the Naval Service operates eight ships. "

Comment

• There are lots of things on Mil.ie that are inaccurate. For example, one of the individuals listed as captain of a Naval Vessel is retired from the Naval Service for quite a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X