Thanks Thanks:  57
Likes Likes:  333
Dislikes Dislikes:  29
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soviet russia too! From wiki:
    Shaw's enthusiasm for the Soviet Union dated to the early 1920s when he had hailed Lenin as "the one really interesting statesman in Europe".[172] Having turned down several chances to visit, in 1931 he joined a party led by Nancy Astor.[173] The carefully managed trip culminated in a lengthy meeting with Stalin, whom Shaw later described as "a Georgian gentleman" with no malice in him
    LOL
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

2. Likes Turkey liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The real Jack View Post
    There the class name goes from the dead poets society to the dead writers society!
    Joyce wasnt much of a poet.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Another literary genius no doubt but having moved away from here at 19 and developed questionable political leanings surely there was a better candidate. Yeats aside, the only credidentials required to have an Irish Naval Ship named for you is to have written some higher literary work appealing only to the scholarly mind and to have spent most of your life elsewhere. The P60's really are the class of questionable Irishmen. They did nothing to advance their country but we name bridges or boats after them.

Heaney, Kavanagh, Friel. Much better choices.

5. Likes na grohmití liked this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like

National Naming choices

Quote Originally Posted by Jetjock View Post
    Another literary genius no doubt but having moved away from here at 19 and developed questionable political leanings surely there was a better candidate. Yeats aside, the only credidentials required to have an Irish Naval Ship named for you is to have written some higher literary work appealing only to the scholarly mind and to have spent most of your life elsewhere. The P60's really are the class of questionable Irishmen. They did nothing to advance their country but we name bridges or boats after them.

We have politicised our naming of everything from Barracks, Housing estates, Roads,etc. It's strange that Mountjoy has escaped and not been renamed. Most of the P60's are named after eccentric Irishmen who had poor regard for Ireland in their live phase. Beckett gave a lecture at Trinity, while employed there on a non existent Jean De Chas and Concenterism. He was taking the P--s out of Pedantic imparting of knowledge. He then pi---d off to France.
    We should consider recycling ships names MACHA, Cliona, Etc.

7. Likes Turkey, 25 pounder liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetjock View Post

Maybe the next president won't be so well read and we will revert to the previous naming tradition. The shite names must be coming from his office

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenji View Post
    Maybe the next president won't be so well read and we will revert to the previous naming tradition. The shite names must be coming from his office
    Thought it first came Shatter when he was in charge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Continuing to try to fix what wasnt broken in the first place.

I always thought a new modern class of ship that reused older names cliona, maev, macha, grainne etc would have done a lot to highlight how far the navy has come from the days of second hand corrvettes and tons.

Ive no major oposition to the new names other than my own personal preference though.
    Scheduled fun will commence at 1900Hrs.
    Punishment beatings will continue until moral improves.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would prefer more warrey/aggresive type names , but the present batch of drunks names sticks in the publics mind better then names in Irish.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    Would prefer more warrey/aggresive type names , but the present batch of drunks names sticks in the publics mind better then names in Irish.
    AS I've said before while I wouldn't like it they could be called "Tom, Dick, Harry and Mick" for all I care as long as we get new hulls and the manpower for them.

13. Likes The real Jack, na grohmití, Turkey, sofa liked this post
    Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    So do we abbreviate , LE GBS or LE Shaw? I suppose we are keeping the 'good names' for when we actually get WARSHIPS instead of constabulary ships.
    Sarsfield

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    P61 etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarsfield View Post
    So do we abbreviate , LE GBS or LE Shaw? I suppose we are keeping the 'good names' for when we actually get WARSHIPS instead of constabulary ships.

No abbreviations unfortunately. As stated above, easier to use Pennant numbers.

Don't think we will ever see real warships to be honest. Naval standards = big money!!

Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the less war like names is a policy to reinforce our ' Neutrality ' .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

18. Thanks sofa thanked for this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Would not be surprised. considering the DoD paid extra to have the NBC equipment removed/not included, in the Scrops incase it scared people

20. Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scrops?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought that story about the Scorpions was just apocryphal - presumably removing the built in NBC would add expense, so why would bean counters actually approve it? Can anyone actually confirm whether it happened or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pym View Post
    I thought that story about the Scorpions was just apocryphal - presumably removing the built in NBC would add expense, so why would bean counters actually approve it? Can anyone actually confirm whether it happened or not?
    Apparently so

It was feared the words NBC would frighten the public

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    Perhaps something like the RN Flower class corvettes? HMS Buttercup scares the proverbial out of me.

25. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Apparently so

It was feared the words NBC would frighten the public
    So they had issued every household with Bás Beatha which explained nuclear blast and fallout and then someone decided the Defence Forces shouldn't have the equipment to cope in an NBC contaminated environment? When both Civil Defence and the DF had a publicly known role in a nuclear accident/exchange? The story doesn't add up. Worth an FOI if there is any truth to it though!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've still got me post 9/11 iodine tablets FFS! I dont think we panicked, the mother has the book at home for the district for evacuation in case of nuclear fallout from her days in the civ defence during the 60s!
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

28. Likes pym liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pym View Post
    So they had issued every household with Bás Beatha which explained nuclear blast and fallout and then someone decided the Defence Forces shouldn't have the equipment to cope in an NBC contaminated environment? When both Civil Defence and the DF had a publicly known role in a nuclear accident/exchange? The story doesn't add up. Worth an FOI if there is any truth to it though!
    Remember DoD people are not in the business of warry things

30. Likes DeV, EUFighter liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    The NBC kit on a scorpion is merely a cartridge style filter that clips on to the rear of the hull. Not having it fitted allows the turret to carry an extra 5 rounds of main gun ammo.
    Don't believe all the tall tales you hear.

None of which has anything to do with the topic.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

32. Thanks sofa, pym, ias, Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes EUFighter, Orion, ias, Turkey liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    try and stay vaugly on the topic, some of us have a life......sorta.
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

34. Likes Bravo20, na grohmití liked this post

Thread Information