Thanks Thanks:  57
Likes Likes:  333
Dislikes Dislikes:  29
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    , The L.E Tim Horgan anyone..............?????
    F**k sake, another one to blow up, how many Harpoon anti-ship missles do you think I can get my hands on FGS?!
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some good suggestions appearing,if there is no change from present system ,fair enough,but lets trust some sound research and not find the NS with ships called afetr ancient fairey/leprachain type characters. A change to "Celtic Defender....Warrior etc would be apoor choice in my view.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Battletour View Post
    Re Mr Wolfe Tone - does the fact that he was a freemason define who the man was?

It does without a doubt.
    Why?
    Oh Fortune...like the moon...you are changeable...

Post Thanks / Like
    What about naming them after people on this board? The L.E Hedgehog?, The L.E Tim Horgan anyone..............?????
    Thats it...sorted...

LE Grainneog.

LE Lasc Orga.

LE O Murchadh.

OK I used Google I don't speak da lingo but there you go...ships named after real 'characters'!!!!

As for LE Tim Horgan...LE Baron Castleshort more like....
    Oh Fortune...like the moon...you are changeable...

5. Likes Herald liked this post
    Commandant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laners View Post
    L .E Wellington , sure the Duke himself was born in Dublin .
    It's probably apocryphal, but Wellington is supposed to have replied to a person who brought up the topic of his birthplace, thus:

"Just because Jesus was born in a stable, doesn't make him a donkey!"

So for sheer comedy purposes, if I was benevolent dictator, there'd have to be an LE Wellington.

Seriously though, I think the existing naming scheme is fine and really doesn't need to be changed.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    The existing naming system works for the PV's. If the NS ever operates a different class of vessel it should have a different naming system for that class.

8. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes sofa liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to find fault with the present scheme and in fact it is rather unique . And when explaining the origins of the ships name to non Irish visitors to the ships ( espicialy yanks ) the reaction is very positive .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Post Thanks / Like
    If the NS ever operates a different class of vessel it should have a different naming system for that class
    It did..auxiliaries A15 L.E. Setanta and L.E Ferdia, A 16 ( I Think)

But the names were male.

Note the Class of Patrol Vessel are also subdivided but still are named after females

PVs
    OPVs
    CPV

and a former HPV
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    A possible compromise, in my opinion would be to name each class as currently, after females in Irish Ancient history/mythology, but have each class using the same first letter.

12. Likes Turkey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Some good suggestions appearing,if there is no change from present system ,fair enough,but lets trust some sound research and not find the NS with ships called afetr ancient fairey/leprachain type characters.
    That rules out naming it after the current president so.....

14. Likes hedgehog, hptmurphy, Turkey, Lorenco liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    That rules out naming it after the current president so.....
    Yeah, LE Bilbo Baggins doesn't have the same ring to it...............

16. Likes Goldie fish, Turkey, hptmurphy liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, LE Bilbo Baggins doesn't have the same ring to it...............
    One ring to rule all ships, no doubt?
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hereby name this ship LE Austerity....I know she's made of wood but she looks great.

19. Likes Turkey liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pym View Post
    So for sheer comedy purposes, if I was benevolent dictator, there'd have to be an LE Wellington.
    But he was a land lubber!
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

21. Likes Flintstone liked this post
    Elpa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamy Window View Post
    Wasn't there a recent NS recruit class called Shackelton? You may have just given us the name(s) of future NS recruit classes
    Glad you liked it. I'd love to see it happen as I have had the honour to present the prepetual trophy to the best N.S. recruit for a few years.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Using the ancient names is fine in its own right,however,do all the names chosen have any relevant maritime connection.Maybe its time to move on with names that are relevant in these times and further serve to reclaim our id from the shiners.
    Is there a case for more recent Irishmen who fought with distinction such as Fogarty ,Finucane ,Mayne et al; real people who did real sacrifice in face of huge odds.There are others of course the above are simply suggestions and peolple will be quick to point out character defects etc.
    Basically does reliance on mythical names simply serve to subconsiously perpetuate an apperent myth of Ireland having a credible operable and capable DF able to fully defend its shores.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using the ancient names is fine in its own right,however,do all the names chosen have any relevant maritime connection.Maybe its time to move on with names that are relevant in these times and further serve to reclaim our id from the shiners.
    Is there a case for more recent Irishmen who fought with distinction such as Fogarty ,Finucane ,Mayne et al; real people who did real sacrifice in face of huge odds.There are others of course the above are simply suggestions and peolple will be quick to point out character defects etc.
    Basically does reliance on mythical names simply serve to subconsiously perpetuate an apperent myth of Ireland having a credible operable and capable DF able to fully defend its shores.
    No.

25. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    I second that no .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

27. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also no. If we are to commemorate past servicemen or women we should start with those who served Ireland

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
    Also no. If we are to commemorate past servicemen or women we should start with those who served Ireland
    Fair enough,at least you are prepared to consider an alternative to current practise.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
    When you say served Ireland, Would you included the likes of Shackleton and Ton Crean. who brought honour to Ireland while it was under a different flag. ?

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are never going to have a huge fleet so we will not be short of names. The current system works why change it? if it is changed try and select people who served Ireland. Wolfe Tone, Fr Murphy, Barry, Pearse, Larkin, Connolly , etc people who were not afraid to put their lives on the line for this country, Maybe even Mc Guinness, Adams, in a few decades times. ( that will stir the pot)
    Celtic Warrior stuff sounds like a bunch of enviro...

32. Dislikes Turkey disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    what about after counties with larger ships being named after provinces?

LE Mayo, LE Galway, LE Cork, for the PV's and then LE Leinster, LE Connaught for the aircraft carriers.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    what about after counties with larger ships being named after provinces?

LE Mayo, LE Galway, LE Cork, for the PV's and then LE Leinster, LE Connaught for the aircraft carriers.
    Will we have to share one carrier and six PVs with the RN?
    What will we call the fifth carrier?

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like

Naming

IRCG are 'auctioning' the names of their new helicopters for charity - RNLI and mountain rescue - phone in competition or something like that.

36. Likes sofa liked this post

Thread Information