Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie RDF Questions

Hi folks,

I thought I'd post my first comment here in a new thread. Hope that's ok? I've applied to an RDF unit in the Eastern Brigade and am aware that there's a recruitment moratorium and may not get called at all - I can understand and accept that no problem. I wonder if somebody could PM me in relation to a few questions I had:

i). Could somebody give me a specific answer in relation to eyesight? My glasses prescription is -2.75 in both eyes (shortsighted). Without them, I could only read the top line or two of an eye chart. Am I goosed there? Would I be disqualified if I got laser surgery (I'm thinking of doing this anyway, with or without acceptance into the RDF).
    ii). Could somebody tell me if I can or can't apply to more than one RDF unit at a time? I live in the north east of the Eastern Bde area (I've already applied to one of those and am awaiting clearance etc.)
    iii). Is the NSR in Cathal Brugha recruiting at all?
    iv). Does the fact that I'm 32 and have a Masters (not in an area which could lead to direct entry Commission, however) make me more or less 'recruitable'?
    v). Am I wasting my time? I'm relatively young, reasonably fit (conducting my own fitness program to try to meet RDF prescribed standards), and exceptionally keen to join and serve. Not for any other reason than to serve and learn. Promotion is not a huge concern of mine - I'll accept it in time, when the RDF think I'm ready, but not before....if that doesn't make me sound like an idiot!

Sorry for starting this thread if there are many more like it. Hopefully, someone can clarify these questions. Thanks very much and god forgive this newbie for being do dumb and slightly intimidated by this site.

F.T.

Originally posted by FrankTank View Post
    I'm 32. Am I wasting my time?
    Yes
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

What sort of an answer is that Jack?

I was 28 when I joined. Im now an NCO and finished first in my PNCO class 2 years ago and best overall student at the age of 34. Id also challenge anyone in my unit to beat me in a fitness test, theres only one or two who possibly could. If he's fit and able and dedicated then why shouldnt he attempt it? Man you can join up to the age of 35 so go for it.
      Last edited by morpheus; 18 July 2012, 10:10.
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

I'm all for the late entrants, these are the guys the RDF need, settled, educated, and often see the RDF as their niche outside of work. If you can make the grade go for it, and if you have a dozen mates of the same age bring them along.

I have always advocated this type of enterant,if you get 15 good commited years from guys like this its far better than 20 17 year olds who last 12 months.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hi folks,

i). Could somebody give me a specific answer in relation to eyesight? My glasses prescription is -2.75 in both eyes (shortsighted). Without them, I could only read the top line or two of an eye chart. Am I goosed there? Would I be disqualified if I got laser surgery (I'm thinking of doing this anyway, with or without acceptance into the RDF).
          ii). Could somebody tell me if I can or can't apply to more than one RDF unit at a time? I live in the north east of the Eastern Bde area (I've already applied to one of those and am awaiting clearance etc.)
          iii). Is the NSR in Cathal Brugha recruiting at all?
          iv). Does the fact that I'm 32 and have a Masters (not in an area which could lead to direct entry Commission, however) make me more or less 'recruitable'?
          v). Am I wasting my time? I'm relatively young, reasonably fit (conducting my own fitness program to try to meet RDF prescribed standards), and exceptionally keen to join and serve. Not for any other reason than to serve and learn. Promotion is not a huge concern of mine - I'll accept it in time, when the RDF think I'm ready, but not before....if that doesn't make me sound like an idiot!

Sorry for starting this thread if there are many more like it. Hopefully, someone can clarify these questions. Thanks very much and god forgive this newbie for being do dumb and slightly intimidated by this site.

F.T.
          ii)Not that I'm aware of
          iv) No difference either way. There are individuals with nothing but a junior cert and others with PHDs. RE: Age as Morph has mentioned the upper age is 35.
          v) Not in the least and that second sentence in this questions tells me that you have the mindset to pursue it and do well.

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          Id also challenge anyone in my unit to beat me in a fitness test, theres only one or two who possibly could.
          Ahem... a challenge you say.
          "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

challenge accepted... i choose a motorboat race! (. )Y( .)
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Thank you for the replies...and the patience everybody. Well, my application is in an office 'somewhere' and I hope I get through. It's funny, the anticipation of wondering whether or not I'll be successful is making me train harder for it. Fingers crossed.

Comment

...I'm 32...Am I wasting my time?
                There was a 32 year old lad in my recruit platoon, when I next saw him after the camp it was two/three years later and he was on his PNCO course; not wasting your time at all.

Comment

challenge accepted... i choose a motorboat race! (. )Y( .)
                  A man after my own heart.LOL
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

What sort of an answer is that Jack?

I was 28 when I joined. Im now an NCO and finished first in my PNCO class 2 years ago and best overall student at the age of 34. Id also challenge anyone in my unit to beat me in a fitness test, theres only one or two who possibly could. If he's fit and able and dedicated then why shouldnt he attempt it? Man you can join up to the age of 35 so go for it.
                    Well said Morpheus... I was sworn in 5 days shy of my 18th birthday, and completed my Std NCO Course (finishing in the top ten) at the
                    tender age of 38... go for it, Frank, with a bit of luck, the embargo will have lifted before you exceed the age requirements
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                    X