Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown is the new Black (new boots for British Forces)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say that the Haix are very comfortable to wear, and after an hour or two, you'd hardly know you were wearing them at all

The version that RJG has posted seem to be a brown version of the civvy Haix Tibet boot
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

90% of the lads don't lace up their issue Haix properly.This leads to the "floppy" fit around the ankle and instep.The lacing system whilst ok for parachuting(no hooks) is not suitable for general Infantry use as it takes too long( laces slide back out of the top D rings) to lace up the boot and to get a proper fit.Not good when you are in a patrol harbour and trying to get your boots back on fast.The DF should have gone with the same speed lacing system as on the Magnum Bk boots.Much better system and Soldier friendly.
      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
        The lacing system whilst ok for parachuting(no hooks) is not suitable for general Infantry use as it takes too long( laces slide back out of the top D rings) to lace up the boot and to get a proper fit.Not good when you are in a patrol harbour and trying to get your boots back on fast.
        Tie a knot in the top of the laces, works fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Who makes them?
          got told today (from fairly reliable source) that the other boots are from Hanwag and Scarpa.

i'm away at the moment and haven't seen any of the boots for real yet so i can't confirm this and have no idea how high these boots ride.
          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Makes sense getting brown boots.

I mean.....mud is brown. How did no one catch on to that before?

Comment

Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
              How did no one catch on to that before?
              Resistance to change ?? Brown boots are not new, Paratroopers had them in WW2:

"On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Resistance to change ?? Brown boots are not new, Paratroopers had them in WW2

army here had them up to the mid sixties....in the same colour as those pictured by Jungle
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                  Resistance to change ?? Brown boots are not new, Paratroopers had them in WW2:

They aren't brown. You'll find they are "oxblood red".

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The first boots I was issued with were brown (oxblood red was the polish we used) and I had to dye them black (along with the leggings) when the DF changed to black in 65 or 66.
                    Last edited by Vickers; 26 July 2012, 15:39.
                    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by Vickers View Post
                      The first boots I was issued with were brown (oxblood red was the polish we used) and I had to dye them black (along with the leggings) when the DF changed to black in 65 or 66.
                      Ladies and Gentlemen, the noise your hearing in the background is the sound of jaws dropping at a 47 year old break. Well done Vickers
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Imagine being issued new brown boots nowadays and you told the modern soldier that they were now responsible for DYEING their parade boots black!
                        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                          Imagine being issued new brown boots nowadays and you told the modern soldier that they were now responsible for DYEING their parade boots black!
                          Well, we (as a DF) paint rocks in Bks WHITE, don't we ?
                          why is then such a surprise to you.... ???
                          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The "latest "Combat and Survival" magazine (Feb 2013) has a feature on the new Brit boots

The Cold Weather boots look pretty much like a brown version of our own operational boots, except for the lacing system...

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                              thankfully no need - we get issued black shoes with our No 2 uniform and Ammo Boots if required for proper ceremonials.

our brown boots are for use with MTP - i personally haven't worn black boots in combat uniform for almost 2 years now.
                              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 13 January 2013, 02:01.
                              RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

mine were grey, but then i'm lazy, and a slob...

hows it going - have you decided which is colder: BATUS or Afghanistan?

Comment

Working...
                                X