Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most decorated member of the PDF and most decorated member of the RDF (FCA, LDF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most decorated member of the PDF and most decorated member of the RDF (FCA, LDF)

All this medal talk combined with something I saw on FB, has got me thinking.

Does anyone here know, in the history of the defence forces as a whole, which individuals, in either component of the defence forces - fulltime or reserve - have been awarded the highest decorations, not just most medals, but I mean, for example, the DSM etc?

regarding those who serve/have served in the reserves - whats the highest award that has been issued whilst on reserve service?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

I would suppose the lads who received the MMG are the highest decorated in the DF,

I hate to say this and no disrespect to the "proper" holders - but the DSM is somewhat undervalued now because its a going away pressie to COS's that didnt burn the shop down,

and the sad and disgusting thing is we have lads who risked and sometime lost their lives so that others may live who have received the DSM and yet COS's such as screaming Jim Shit received it and did feck all of worth.

I genuinely think we should distingusih between proper DSM's won by the likes of the Tramore lads and those boys in the Congo by referring to those medals as DSM's and the you were great and so was I type of medals given out in a chris kindle type giveaway to Jim SHit and the Pat Nashville and the other overpaid over pensioned wasters by referring to it as the MDSM (Mingy Distinguished Service medal)

Its kind of therauptic to get rants out of my system this early in the morning- well done that Morpheus chap
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Jungle
      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Care to elaborate?
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
          Jungle
          Care to elaborate?
          Yeah Havoc- go on elaborate,
          Last edited by hedgehog; 24 July 2012, 15:30.

Comment

Jungle
            Don't go there!!!!!!!

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
            All this medal talk combined with something I saw on FB, has got me thinking.

Does anyone here know, in the history of the defence forces as a whole, which individuals, in either component of the defence forces - fulltime or reserve - have been awarded the highest decorations, not just most medals, but I mean, for example, the DSM etc?

regarding those who serve/have served in the reserves - whats the highest award that has been issued whilst on reserve service?
            The only decorations (as opposed to service medals) the State awards are the MMG and DSM, to the best of my knowledge no one has ever got both or a bar on either medal (which is possible).

To the best of my knowledge a reservist has never been awarded either.

There have been a number of 2nd class MMGs awarded.

Comment

Jungle
              I'm intriuged, the poster or a load of trees?
              "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

There was an officer in the Marine Service (Cdr O'Muiris??) who was awarded the 1916 medal, the war of independance medal, the emergency medal and the merchant marine medal. I think he was the only person to get all four. Open to correction.

Comment

The Unit with the most decorations must be the AC followed closely by the NS

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    The Unit with the most decorations must be the AC followed closely by the NS
                    SAR Squadron is the unit

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      The only decorations (as opposed to service medals) the State awards are the MMG and DSM, to the best of my knowledge no one has ever got both or a bar on either medal (which is possible).

To the best of my knowledge a reservist has never been awarded either.

There have been a number of 2nd class MMGs awarded.
                      A former Coy OC of 11 Fd Med Coy (Joe Briscoe, a brother of the former Lord Mayor of Dublin, Ben Briscoe) was a holder of the
                      Emergency Service Medal prior to his retirement from the Reserve

Bear in mind that in addition to the lack of age verfication back then (ahh, you look 17, go on), Engr and Med Offrs of the Reserve have a
                      retirement age of 65, rather than 55 (unless this changed with the last DFR R5 ?)
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                        A former Coy OC of 11 Fd Med Coy (Joe Briscoe, a brother of the former Lord Mayor of Dublin, Ben Briscoe) was a holder of the

Bear in mind that in addition to the lack of age verfication back then (ahh, you look 17, go on), Engr and Med Offrs of the Reserve have a
                        retirement age of 65, rather than 55 (unless this changed with the last DFR R5 ?)
                        Which is a service medal

Comment

Dont think so Cdr Morris was on HMS St Vincent at Jutland and only left RN C.1920.

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post

I served with a Sgt who had an Emergency medal for the LDF, A congo medal for when he was in the PDF, and an FCA service medal too. He always got the double take at Inspections and GoHs. Post 1990 though, the medals started causing too many questions and he had to retire, whatever age he was.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Most-decorated-member of the Defence Forces

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob Allen DSM (Distinction) Group 006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	509.0 KB
ID:	697373

Please see attached the medals of an Irish soldier which is a lovely DSM Group as follows:

DSM with Distinction
                              Service Medal PDF 15 Year
                              Emergency Medal DF
                              Peace Medal
                              UN (Congo)
                              UN (Cyprus)
                              &

Irish United Nations Veterans Service Medal I.U.N.V.A.

Comment

Working...
                              X