• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier kicked in the head

Soldier kicked in head by stallion at McKee barracks awarded €18,000
    By Saurya Cherfi
    Wednesday July 25 2012
    A young soldier, who was kicked in the head while grooming a stallion at McKee Barracks, Dublin, has been awarded €18,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.
    Barrister Frank Beatty said Aoife Flood was clipping a new stallion, “Colonel Clover,” at the Army Equitation School on 8 January, 2009 when the horse reared up and kicked her.
    Private Flood, a 26-year-old groom, of Glenview Park, Tallaght, Dublin, said she had been directed by Captain Michael Kelly to clip the horse.
    She told Judge Alan Mahon that she had noticed earlier that Colonel Clover tried to kick another groom.
    She had asked Captain Kelly if the horse would be OK to clip and he had told her it would.
    The court heard Colonel Clover had become unstable and she had needed the assistance of another groom.
    They had applied a “twitch” (a noose and stick) to the horse’s head to calm him down.
    Private Flood said Colonel Clover reared up, broke his cross ties and kicked her to the head and shoulders, knocking her to the floor.
    She said she had been taken by ambulance to St Bricin’s Military Hospital, Dublin, where she was referred to the Mater University Hospital for treatment.
    She had suffered from headaches, dizziness and bruising to the back of her head and left shoulder.
    Flood, who initially returned to light “office duties” said she had been off work for two weeks and had undergone physiotherapy sessions for two years.
    She had since developed a fear of horses.
    She had not been provided with a helmet or safety equipment to groom the horse and denied that Captain Kelly had told her to come back to him if the horse became frisky while clipping him.
    Captain Kelly told the court he had asked Ms Flood to clip the horse.
    He said Colonel Clover had not shown signs of nervousness before the incident.
    Judge Mahon said Ms Flood should have been provided with a helmet and protective equipment.
    Awarding her €18,000 damages against the Minister for Defence, the judge said her injuries could have been much more serious.
    - Saurya Cherfi

18 grand that could have been better spent elsewhere.18 grand for injuries recieved whilst doing a job on an animal we don't need and cant afford!Stupid.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Agree with APOD , Just also read about a guard who got 300,000 for a dig in the head, and he has had two previous claims for which he also rec compo.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
        18 grand that could have been better spent elsewhere.18 grand for injuries recieved whilst doing a job on an animal we don't need and cant afford!Stupid.
        Its not her fault- she deserves the few bob in fact she should have got a whole lot more- will the Capt who detailed her to do the job get a slap or lose a bit of promotion- will the co who saved a few bob by not buying safety gear get a slap or lose some promotion- will the fcuk..

I agree with APOD- close the horsey school and whereever the relocate the grooms and staff let them keep their meagre allowance
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Grooms 2 star to 3 star training is a Equitation School course.

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
            Just also read about a guard who got 300,000 for a dig in the head, and he has had two previous claims for which he also rec compo.
            Good for them, They are at the sharp end, putting their neck on the line. Where are you?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              Its not her fault- she deserves the few bob in fact she should have got a whole lot more- will the Capt who detailed her to do the job get a slap or lose a bit of promotion- will the co who saved a few bob by not buying safety gear get a slap or lose some promotion- will the fcuk..

I agree with APOD- close the horsey school and whereever the relocate the grooms and staff let them keep their meagre allowance
              If the Horsey School was to close, nobody should get an allowance that was specifically given for working in the Horsey School.

Comment

three claims?? Please
                As for fair play etc more taxpayers money wasted.. Yes I pay tax and do not live in Irealnd . My job has taken me to several places where I have been shot at , was shot, caught in a blast and never even put in a deafness claim for my " loss of hearing?? in the DF , WHEN WE WERE NOT ISSUED WITH PROTECTION. Its the nanny society, compo culture and one of the several reasons that I do not now live in Ireland.

Comment

I agree - Safety in the workplace has become a big thing now since the introduction of the Health and Safety At Work Act in 1989, and the DF should be
                  no different, and in the main, is good at it

But the fact that the Pte stated in evidence that she had notified the officer that she had witnessed that the animal was uneasy earlier, and the office
                  still told her to go ahead and do the task, speaks volumes

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Grooms 2 star to 3 star training is a Equitation School course.
                  And ?
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I never said it was her fault.My point is that the incident would never have happened if the horse and the "school" were not there in the first place.

three claims?? Please
                    As for fair play etc more taxpayers money wasted.. Yes I pay tax and do not live in Irealnd . My job has taken me to several places where I have been shot at , was shot, caught in a blast and never even put in a deafness claim for my " loss of hearing?? in the DF , WHEN WE WERE NOT ISSUED WITH PROTECTION. Its the nanny society, compo culture and one of the several reasons that I do not now live in Ireland.
                    Who would you have claimed off anyway?Injury lawyers for mercs??
                    Seriously though.We all swear the oath to obey all lawful orders,even those that might get us killed.That's what separates soldiers from civvies, but the DF still has a duty of care to it's troops.If someone falls off a roof because the rope they were supplied with by the DF to climb onto that roof was frayed and not replaced then by all means they have a right to take the Minister to court.If it prevents the same happening to another soldier because the DF were to cheap to replace said rope then it is worth it.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I have no problem with the soldier getting compensated if there was negligence . I just compared the amount with the 300000 awarded to the guard and mentioned the fact that this was his third payout

Comment

I suppose i could have claimed off the state, As regards the entire H and S. yes it is important but i do think the entire risk avoidance rather than risk management has gone too far.The modern regulated sattempystem attempts to control modern society so as any element of ris k or personal responsibility is taken out of everyday life, creating "drones: that are obedient and easily led. The crininals whether they are drug dealer white collar bank robbers OR just bank hold up guys ignore the rules and the ordinary sheep pay.

Comment

A couple of points here: 18 grand is nothing, for a kick in the head from a horse. If she had lost, she'd be broke paying the legal costs and nothing would have been gained. She could also have been very seriously injured, so the H&S point is well made, although she could just as easily have been kicked somewhere else on her person. I suspect that every racing apprentice in the country is probably rolling his eyes, though. So, in effect, a mild slap on the wrist for the DF and a tiny pay-off for three years waiting.

regards
                          GttC

Comment

I have no problem with the soldier getting compensated if there was negligence . I just compared the amount with the 300000 awarded to the guard and mentioned the fact that this was his third payout
                            A number of Gards have it to a fine art. they make taximen who have being rearended look like amateurs

Comment

Not all that many,if any,a fair few have had their careers and health knackered by scummies and deserve to be well looked after.

Comment

Working...
                              X