Medal to commemorate the forming of the Irish Citizen Army 1913-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medal to commemorate the forming of the Irish Citizen Army 1913-2013

Has anyone heard it the gov's plan to issue a medal to the Defence Forces in 2013 to mark the centenary of the Citizen Army

Welcome to the board.
    It's normal practice to use the box at the top right to do a quick search on your query before starting a thread.

I suggest that you peruse this thread
    http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...0375-New-medal
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Originally posted by bq300466 View Post
      Has anyone heard it the gov's plan to issue a medal to the Defence Forces in 2013 to mark the centenary of the Citizen Army
      There are no plans to commemorate the foundation of the Irish Citizen Army - an organisation that was founded as a result of the 1913 lockout to protect the unions and their supporters from the DMP and bosses.

Consideration is being given to strike a medal commemorating of the foundation of the Irish Volunteers who were founded in 1913, however no decision has been made on the same.

Comment

Sorry, i got the name wrong! Thanks for putting me straight.

Comment

Well I guess this answers the question.A pity as i believe the issue of the medal would have been a nice touch.

Commemorative Events

332. Deputy John McGuinness asked the Minister for Defence his views on the issues raised by a person (details supplied) in County Clare in correspondence to him dated 16 May 2012; if he will accept any of the suggestions made; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [40127/12]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Alan Shatter): There had been a suggestion for a commemorative medal to be issued to all serving members of the Defence Forces in 2013. However, having reviewed the matter, it has now been decided not to progress it further. While I welcome the suggestion in relation to a proposed “Old Soldiers Day”, it is not proposed to introduce a new military ceremonial event in the current economic climate.
          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I'm in 2 minds one state body under DOD get a medal issued for going to Lourdes and the Special Olympics. The other doesn't!

Comment

I was not involved in the Spl Olympics but I did put in a 20 page document stating that members of FCA/ASM and some PDF should have got a medal for same as they were "Mobilised" by the Government at that time.
              But as usual the members of the Defence Forces were used and forgotten but the Government did get the clap on the back for such a well organised event but the Troops were forgotten, unlike the members of the St. John's Ambulance,Order of Malta & the Irish Red Cross.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                I'm in 2 minds one state body under DOD get a medal issued for going to Lourdes and the Special Olympics. The other doesn't!
                And there was a medal struck to commemorate the 50th anniversary of its establishment in 2000.....!
                Cry "havoc!", and let slip the dogs of war!

Comment

Let me tell you all there have been Anniversaries acknowledged in this country before and I can list them for different government bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    Sorry, but a medal for lourdes would be a gong for the sake of a gong and sticking stuff on a uniform for the sake of it.

The striking of medals for anniversaries etc from what I can see is quite a monarchist thing - the Brits get one HM reaches another jubilee etc as do many other countries with a royal family. Tends not to be the done in republics. I wouldn't describe myself as terribly pushed on the idea normally however the only reason I would have been in favour of a commemorative medal is to ensure the state has full ownership of the anniversary of the founding of the volunteers..... last thing we want is subversive groups casting their own....

Comment

Like the 1916-1966 survivor's medal and the 1921-71 survivor's truce medal

Comment

Northie it is a medal issued by DOD to CD.

B20 too true

Comment

It is the lack of buckshee medals that makes the ones that are issued worth wearing and being proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
                            It is the lack of buckshee medals that makes the ones that are issued worth wearing and being proud of.
                            If you can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                              Both of those were awarded for being a recipient of the original 1916/Black&Tan medal, and being alive 50 years later. There aren't any recipients of the 1916 medal alive to the best of my knowledge, so no medal need be struck for the 100 year anniversary in 2016.
                              I know of a man who though a survivor in 1966, died shortly after, and was not entitled to a survivors medal, even though he participated in the 50th anniversary ceremonies. His family are quite bitter about that.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X