Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like

Naval Officer Cross-training

Does the NS allow it's officers to cross train in foreign naval colleges and do degrees abroad? For example, doing a navy EOD course in the U.S or doing a law degree in the U.K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before the NMCI, they used to do the RN International Sub-lieutenants course.

Not sure if the NS now run their own clearance divers course (ie EOD) courses or if they still go to the UK, but either way there are limited places.

Bear in mind the NS Basic Divers Course is one of the hardest in the DF.

Post Thanks / Like
    But I'd say the chances of doing something like law in the UK are nil seeing that there are plenty of universities that do law here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Foreign Naval officers frequently train with the Irish NS. There was a female officer cadet in the last class from NZ I think(she wore a Navy curl in any event, and there has been other KIWIs here in the past.

5. Likes DeV liked this post
    Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, I know for a fact there are Royal Canadian Navy officers do their training on Irish navy Patrol vessels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know for a fact there are Royal Canadian Navy officers do their training on Irish navy Patrol vessels

Some of their training......
    Just visiting

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well a decent chunk of it.... their watchkeeping as far as I know? Could be wrong.
    I'd want to do a Navy EOD course or maybe a naval aviation course in the U.S.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack.s View Post
    I'd want to do a Navy EOD course or maybe a naval aviation course in the U.S.
    Then don't join the Naval Service

10. Likes DeV, Goldie fish, hptmurphy liked this post
    Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well who is going to fly the Navy's new UAV's on the new patrol vessels?

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone that has done a UAV operators course. Not someone that has done what you describe as a naval aviation course. Sounds like you plan on joining the cast of Pensacola Wings of Gold

You do realise that the NS has neither aircraft nor aircraft carriers don't you? The helipad on the stern of the Eithne does not make it an aircraft carrier.

As for the Naval EOD course, very much a cream of the crop skill set. Not something you get after a week long course

Post Thanks / Like
    Jack.s You are either a very poor WUM, or have your head in the clouds. You are starting to sound like a very poor wum on the dreaded boards.ie.
    You want to join the coastguard before, and after your career as a naval aviator.

Get A Grip.
    I'm bored with you now.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just trying to keep my options open is all, doesn't neccesarily mean I will join the coastguard. UAV operators are actually qualified pilots, and who better to train our pilots until we have the capability ourselves than some of the best pilots in the world, the U.S Navy. And I'm very much aware about the EOD course, just because it's difficult doesn't deter me from trying my best to pass it. As for "Pensacola Wings of Gold" I've never seen it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I hate to burst your bubble but to become an Officer Candidate in the USN you have to be a US Citizen. You must also have a four-year BS or BA degree from an accredited university and have strong grades.
    You are well off on the UAV operator in this states DF. They are not pilots.

Mods. Do we have to tolerate these WUMS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the Artillery fly them on land.

Just trying to keep my options open is all, doesn't neccesarily mean I will join the coastguard. UAV operators are actually qualified pilots, and who better to train our pilots until we have the capability ourselves than some of the best pilots in the world, the U.S Navy. And I'm very much aware about the EOD course, just because it's difficult doesn't deter me from trying my best to pass it. As for "Pensacola Wings of Gold" I've never seen it.
    AFAIK UAV Oprs in the DF aren't pilots.

There are some in the RN too I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone is telling porky pies here I think.

See the thing is I'm also in the coastguard as a volunteer and I should have all my STCW'95 basic training done so if thats the only problem with transferring to the NSR I should be ok?
    http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...l=1#post368860

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Someone is telling porky pies here I think.

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...l=1#post368860
    I was at the time, but it was unfortunately a temporary placement.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Well I hate to burst your bubble but to become an Officer Candidate in the USN you have to be a US Citizen. You must also have a four-year BS or BA degree from an accredited university and have strong grades.
    You are well off on the UAV operator in this states DF. They are not pilots.

Mods. Do we have to tolerate these WUMS?
    I want to join the NS, as for the USN I could apply for that too, I have dual citizenship.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Well the Artillery fly them on land.

AFAIK UAV Oprs in the DF aren't pilots.

There are some in the RN too I'm sure.
    You could be right, I'm just going on the USAF and USN model of qualified pilots operating UAV's.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol if your small enough to fly An uav, you won't pass the medical
    Just visiting

22. Likes Jack.s liked this post
    Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    UAV operators are actually qualified pilots.
    Yes, in much the same way as people that play Medal of Honor are soldiers and people that use remote control cars are all qualified drivers.

If you want to discuss some of the intricacies of joining the NS and the roles that various people are able to perform I suggest that you contact the Manpower Officer, details can be found here . They should be able to clear up any issues that you have and ensure that you receive correct answers to any questions you may have.

Hope that this helps

24. Likes danno liked this post
    Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight oil View Post
    Yes, in much the same way as people that play Medal of Honor are soldiers and people that use remote control cars are all qualified drivers.

If you want to discuss some of the intricacies of joining the NS and the roles that various people are able to perform I suggest that you contact the Manpower Officer, details can be found here . They should be able to clear up any issues that you have and ensure that you receive correct answers to any questions you may have.

Hope that this helps
    Nice wordplay but you're still missing the fact that UAV operators in many Air Forces and navies are in fact qualified pilots, including but not limited to the USN and USAF.
    I will enquire with them, however the NS facebook page operators did confirm that officers were able to go on military courses in countries such as the U.S

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    The NS will hardly seek that only officers can operate the UAVs.

Closed Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the Arty, you need an officer to command the UAV detachment AFAIK. The detachment consists of 4 pers to operate the craft. No idea what is going to be involved in the event of the NS getting UAVs though as they can be anything from a couple of feet long to the size of a full plane depending on what they get

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure of the class of UAV they are getting, but I would think they would operate on a system of officers and NCOs fly the craft, and other ranks service it... could be wrong it all depends.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure of the class of UAV they are getting, but I would think they would operate on a system of officers and NCOs fly the craft, and other ranks service it... could be wrong it all depends.
    You are.

30. Likes The real Jack, gibedepusib0ss liked this post

Thread Information