Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passing Out Parade, 1 Recruit Cse & 5 PNCO Cse, 1 S Bde RDF. Kilkenny 22 Sept 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing Out Parade, 1 Recruit Cse & 5 PNCO Cse, 1 S Bde RDF. Kilkenny 22 Sept 2012

Congratulations to Recruits and Potential NCOs of the 1 Southern Brigade RDF who had their Passing Out Parade in Stephens Barracks Kilkenny yesterday.

http://www.facebook.com/DefenceForces?ref=stream
    Last edited by Docman; 23 September 2012, 21:01.

Is this the first crop on the new syllabus?
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
      Is this the first crop on the new syllabus?
      Yes. Although the syllabus was amended to include the new Arms Drill.
      Last edited by Docman; 24 September 2012, 17:42.

Comment

Pictures now up on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfmagaz...7631610355612/

Attached Files
        Last edited by Docman; 24 September 2012, 18:00.

Comment

What's with the anvil ? Was shoeing a horse some sort of a requirement ?
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

It was a gift from the recruits to the btc instructors.

Comment

BTC south."Where warriors are forged".Get it.
              First i cringed at the americanism of it all but when i thought about it i started to like it.
              I believe the recruits final exercise was "Exercise Anvil".Good name for an ex.
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Durkheim argued that social groups exist only insofar as their members recognise them. Consequently, social groups required rituals in which these groups gathered and physically denoted this commitment to each other. One of the most important aspects of these ritual gatherings were the symbols which the social groups created for themselves and which they invested with sacred significance. The totem of the group symbolised the relationship between the members and crucially all the members of the group recognised what the totem, this symbol of the group, demanded from them, as members. As Durkheim noted ‘without symbols, social sentiments could have only a precarious existence’ (Durkheim 1976: 230-1). Humans need physical objects to represent their relationships to each other. Totems represent the existence of groups and symbolize appropriate action on the part of group members. Durkheim noted that for the most part symbols were ultimately random. The flags for which soldiers have died are ultimately just pieces of cloth. A symbol becomes powerful not because the materials of which it is made have intrinsic properties but because it is invested with meaning by the social group. However, although symbols can be arbitrary, many of the most powerful symbols do in fact communicate some of the central characteristics of the group which uses them as a totem
                The Precise Application of Will - Dr Anthony King, Dept of Sociology, University of Exeter, May 2004
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Are the colours in the right position. Should they not be the other way round.

Comment

Originally posted by Drylander View Post
                    I agree.... colours should be oposite way round!!!!!
                    Lock and load

Comment

Durkheim argued that social groups exist only insofar as their members recognise them. Consequently, social groups required rituals in which these groups gathered and physically denoted this commitment to each other. One of the most important aspects of these ritual gatherings were the symbols which the social groups created for themselves and which they invested with sacred significance. The totem of the group symbolised the relationship between the members and crucially all the members of the group recognised what the totem, this symbol of the group, demanded from them, as members. As Durkheim noted ‘without symbols, social sentiments could have only a precarious existence’ (Durkheim 1976: 230-1). Humans need physical objects to represent their relationships to each other. Totems represent the existence of groups and symbolize appropriate action on the part of group members. Durkheim noted that for the most part symbols were ultimately random. The flags for which soldiers have died are ultimately just pieces of cloth. A symbol becomes powerful not because the materials of which it is made have intrinsic properties but because it is invested with meaning by the social group. However, although symbols can be arbitrary, many of the most powerful symbols do in fact communicate some of the central characteristics of the group which uses them as a totem
                      Is THAT what they teach you in the place you're in now ? That's like Socrates( So-Crates ) in Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure.

I like the way they honour the 20 Bn on the anvil.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I was part of the parade,

One of the major problems with the new arms drill is that the right arm goes to sleep after holding the Steyr for so long. You can't bend your elbow to facilitate the aistrigh or Cleannigh arim.

That said however, no one seemed to notice from the crowd, and the families and friends of the event greatly appreciated the whole parade.

Something the RDF could do a bit more i think, everyone who was present from the crowd seemed very impressed.

Comment

You mean the place I was going to go to! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Drylander View Post
                            1.) National
                            2.) Provincial
                            3.) Brigade
                            4.) Unit/Formation

I Believe this is the way they are suppose to be ordered, No. 3 obviously doesn't apply 99% of the time.
                            Squad look this way, i will give a full and complete demonstration on how to post.
                            Type 1-2-3-4 fact check and POST

Cryos

Comment

Originally posted by Cryos View Post
                              1.) National
                              2.) Provincial
                              3.) Brigade
                              4.) Unit/Formation

I Believe this is the way they are suppose to be ordered, No. 3 obviously doesn't apply 99% of the time.
                              What's the story with 2?

Comment

Working...
                              X