Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research on Hypothermia

Hey Guys
    I am a product design student in UL.I am trying to re design a life jacket for my Final Year Project. Currently I am researching Hypothermia, and figured some guys in the navy had to of had it at some stage.
    Would be great to hear your stories, On events leading up to it, Having Hypothermia, and the aftermath.
    Also If you treated someone with Hypothermia. Its still All relevant.
    Thanks for your time guys

Hypothermia is insidious, in that it affects you without you realising how badly off you are. I once had it on a wet training exercise in the Glen. As far as I was concerned, I was lucid and intelligible, whereas my mates thought I was babbling. They had to pry my rifle out of my hands, wrap me in a space blanket and forcibly march me up and down. I howled as the circulation restored itself. I wasn't right for about two days after.

regards
    GttC

Comment

Spent about a hour in 58 F, Was able to think coherent,?? but when attempted to talk I just babbled, Not capable of drying myself for about 20min due to shaking

Comment

Down in the glen on training exercise during recruit training. Spent the day getting pissed rain on but when we were setting up our patrol harbour I thought my DPMs were not that wet so that instead of getting changed into my dry gear for a bit of Kip if I stayed in my wet gear they would dry out. Wrong. Awoke for stag about 4 hours later. Was uncontrollably shaking, couldn't think straight and couldnt work my hands to button up my smock. My buddy got the platoon medic who stripped me down to my t shirt and jocks, put me in a sleeping bag in a transit with the heat turned up. Just as I began to stop shaking about two hours later I was grabbed by the platoon sergeant, told to get back into uniform and got put on a patrol.

But those were different times. There was a war against the Hibernians to be won.

Also suffered heat stroke in Chad. So I've been at both ends of the spectrum. Hypo is worse.
        To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

I came across an interesting article on likely causes of death from falling into cold water here
          http://www.verticalmag.com/news/arti...6#.UVYtd_I5BAb
          Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes View Post
            I came across an interesting article on likely causes of death from falling into cold water here
            http://www.verticalmag.com/news/arti...6#.UVYtd_I5BAb
            A lot of the old sweats that do open sea racing here will enter the water 15 min before there handicap arrives in order to calm down
            there breeding and avoid a heart attack. also depending on the water temp' you may get a blindingl pain across the forehead for a couple of minutes.

Comment

A lot of the old sweats that do open sea racing here will enter the water 15 min before there handicap arrives in order to calm down
              there breeding and avoid a heart attack.
              Sounds like the ultimate contraceptive. That certainly would do it I would imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Battletour View Post
                Sounds like the ultimate contraceptive. That certainly would do it I would imagine.
                Forgot , nuts also head north

Comment

Lifejacket design primarily focuses on preventing you from drowning. Protection from hypothermia while in the water is received by wearing an immersion suit.

Originally posted by Kierann6927 View Post
                  Hey Guys
                  I am a product design student in UL.I am trying to re design a life jacket for my Final Year Project. Currently I am researching Hypothermia, and figured some guys in the navy had to of had it at some stage.
                  Would be great to hear your stories, On events leading up to it, Having Hypothermia, and the aftermath.
                  Also If you treated someone with Hypothermia. Its still All relevant.
                  Thanks for your time guys

Comment

Working...
                  X