X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War One Talks at the National Museum of Ireland, November 2012

Curator’s Talk: 'The Fighting Irish in World War'

Time: Friday 09th November 2012

Join curator of the 'Soldiers and Chiefs' exhibition, Lar Joye, for an illustrated talk exploring
    the role of the Irish who fought in World War One as soldiers of the British, Australian
    and American armies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remembering World War One through Music
    Saturday 10th November 2012

Trace your relatives from the Great War

10.30 - 12.30pm. Find out how to trace records of family who served in the army with members of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association.

Venue: ‘Soldiering in the Twentieth Century’ gallery of the ‘Soldiers and Chiefs’ exhibition

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Performances and Talks

11.00 - 11.20am. Opening performance by Pipers of the Irish Defence Forces

11.20 - 11.30am. Welcome, Edith Andrees, Education and Outreach Department, National Museum of Ireland

11.30 -12.15pm. Talk: 'Keeping the Home Fires Burning: Music and World War One', Speaker: Myles Dungan, Broadcaster and Author

12.15 -12.30pm. 'Lest Ye Forget' by Larry Joye and 'All the fine young men' - Pat Lyons sings an adaptation of Eric Bogle's song

Venue: Palatine Room

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-enactment

1.15 - 2.00pm. Find out about joining up and soldiers' equipment in World War One with re-enactor Graham Evans.

Venue: 'Soldiering in the Twentieth Century' Gallery of the 'Soldiers and Chiefs' exhibition

Performances

2.15 - 3.00pm. The Army No. 1 Band plays tunes related to World War One.

3.15 - 4.30pm. Brendan Mac Quaile performs his one-man show 'March away my Brothers' about an Irishman's journey from Dublin to the battle fields of Flanders in 1914.

Venue: Palatine Room

---------------------------------------------------------------------

All events are FREE and no booking is required. All events will operate on a first come, first served basis.

Programme organised by the Education and Outreach Department, National Museum of Ireland - Decorative Arts and History, Collins Barracks, Benburb Street, Dublin 7

Email: bookings@museum.ie
    "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.
Working...
X