Size of future RDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    Yeah, I wonder where they got that from too. In fact, I'd be very interested in finding out how they came up with that!
    They had to come up with an alternative for the word "Integration" because that had already failed, twice.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The Brits have the "One Force Concept" and will soon be changing to the "Whole Force Concept".The US Army has the "Total Force Concept".

All of these come from how they view their Reserves.

The "Single Force Concept" isn't a million miles from that - we will have to wait and see how they implement it.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Your situation is similar to those in other units, such as the former A Coy 14th, from Nenagh who became gunners in the last reorg, and trained up accordingly. Now they are all infantry again. Thats a lot of wasted courses in the last 7 years.
        IMVHO no training is wasted. They now have a better skill set with a better persprective of another set of military skills. I started off as Infantry. Have been with a Cav. unit since last re-org. Couldn't get on a driving or gunnery course due to work commitments. Despite that I've learned a LOT of Cav skills and I don't feel it was time or money wasted for the reasons stated. I now know what they do, how & why, which I never did before. Helped fill in some of the "bigger picture" for me

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          Have to laugh at the state of the UK vs Ireland wrt reserves!

"UK TA to be renamed as 'Army Reserve' plus doubling in size"

"RDF to merge with PDF in Single Force Concept plus halving in size"

we looked at the international best practices... looked at our wallets... decided that they (foreign forces) hadnt a clue how to run reserves and were completely wrong, placed our heads up our arses and came up with Single Force Concept.

single force concept. Ha! "d'committee" probably wrote the report on the back of a guinness encrusted beermat over 1 evening in CBB orifices mess and spent the rest of the time coming up with that term. I dont use text speech much but this calls for a "LOLZ" and an "ROTFLMAO" or as duffman oft says, ROFFLCOPTER.

maybe they took it from the Swiss, they use the term to describe how their army, aircorps, regular forces and reserves work together.
          Actually with the change to the British AR they will represent a third of the British forces.

Bear in mind the original Irish AR numbers were near equal to the regular army.

The RDF is being downsized to bring it more in line with international partners and to make it more managable.
          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

and to make it look like the DOD is saving money for this upcoming budget!
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

and to make it look like the DOD is saving money for this upcoming budget!
              I reckon you're spot on there

Comment

So the savings don't have to be done elsewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  You mean RDF were sacrifaced to save PDF .................................. never

Comment

Have to laugh at the state of the UK vs Ireland wrt reserves!

"UK TA to be renamed as 'Army Reserve' plus doubling in size"

"RDF to merge with PDF in Single Force Concept plus halving in size"

we looked at the international best practices... looked at our wallets... decided that they (foreign forces) hadnt a clue how to run reserves and were completely wrong, placed our heads up our arses and came up with Single Force Concept.

single force concept. Ha! "d'committee" probably wrote the report on the back of a guinness encrusted beermat over 1 evening in CBB orifices mess and spent the rest of the time coming up with that term. I dont use text speech much but this calls for a "LOLZ" and an "ROTFLMAO" or as duffman oft says, ROFFLCOPTER.

maybe they took it from the Swiss, they use the term to describe how their army, aircorps, regular forces and reserves work together.
                    Yeah let's double the RDF's establishment, since everyone else is doing it. Now we can have an organisation with an establishment of about 20,000 troops and no hope of ever filling it!

The new RDF will be nearly half the size of the PDF. What's the problem with that?

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    Are you having a laugh?

The budget is down to 688 million quid this year... To imply that the RDF is being "sacrificed" to save the PDF some money somewhere is ridiculous. Your establishment has been brought down to mirror reality, deal with it.

The PDF is dealing with barrack closures, reduction in troop numbers and Unit's ceasing to exist... While the ridiculous RDF "outposts" still exist for no good reason. OMG, PDF iz bean sacerfised 4 RDF!
                    Last edited by Fridge Magnet; 22 November 2012, 17:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                      ..............Your establishment has been brought down to mirror reality..............
                      The recruitment embargo had a lot to do with it not being able to get it up to established numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
                        The recruitment embargo had a lot to do with it not being able to get it up to established numbers.
                        Recruitment embargo or not, the RDF was never gonna get near its establishment numbers.

Comment

Also they could've done a lot more with this report. At least make a conclusion based on foreign forces reserves instead of just googling them, employer legislation to protect jobs and increased training asks which then could be met, mil recognition of civvy quals and civvy recognition of mil quals plus overseas positions EVENTUALLY, allowing the df to commit more troops to peacekeeping and improved numbers in eu battlegroups by sending maj PDF and minority RDF combined units.
                          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Also they could've done a lot more with this report. At least make a conclusion based on foreign forces reserves instead of just googling them, employer legislation to protect jobs and increased training asks which then could be met, mil recognition of civvy quals and civvy recognition of mil quals plus overseas positions EVENTUALLY, allowing the df to commit more troops to peacekeeping and improved numbers in eu battlegroups by sending maj PDF and minority RDF combined units.
                            But it was a value for money review, not a "what if" white paper on what to do to reduce the pension bill.
                            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
                              Not according to the VFM - Retention is the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X