Question Regarding Recruit Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding Recruit Testing

I hope this is the right place to ask this kind of thing, but I had a concern regarding the psychometric tests potential recruits are put through during the selection process.
    I am aware that this is intended to examine both your comprehension of language and numbers, but are there any serving/ex-servicemen who might be able to provide a bit more of a specific explanation as to what exactly this test includes? I would like to ensure I go in with the best possible preparation, but I have admittedly always been dreadful in mathematics (I failed the subject during my final school exams) and I'm worried this section might severely hamper my chances of making the cut.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the test will be like/what should be studied in preparation?

From what I know there are courses advertised on line when the DF begins recruiting specifically targeting the psychometric.

I would suggest that if you have difficulties in any area this maybe your oppertunity to brush up.

Psychometric testing by nature is based on accuracy speed and attention to detail and relative problem solving, I don't know what module the DF use but the pass rate in the maths is one of the more important aspects .
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by SaltyDog1 View Post
      I hope this is the right place to ask this kind of thing, but I had a concern regarding the psychometric tests potential recruits are put through during the selection process.
      I am aware that this is intended to examine both your comprehension of language and numbers, but are there any serving/ex-servicemen who might be able to provide a bit more of a specific explanation as to what exactly this test includes? I would like to ensure I go in with the best possible preparation, but I have admittedly always been dreadful in mathematics (I failed the subject during my final school exams) and I'm worried this section might severely hamper my chances of making the cut.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what the test will be like/what should be studied in preparation?
      You can download tests and practice. Some cost a fiver or so, but that's not a lot, and it will mean that you'll have got used to the type of thinking involved.

Follow this site, and you'll get examples etc.

What are psychometric tests?? Find out about the different type of tests and how employers use them in the recruitment process.

Comment

^Thanks. I will check those out, and perhaps dig in to the old math books again. :P

Comment

The link below will bring you to the self assessment page on public jobs.ie. You can try out tests at different levels. They are not the ones used by the DF but they will give you an idea of what its like. I have found with these tests that lots of practice will help you to improve.

Comment

Hello Salty Dog. Welcome to IMO and best of luck in your future attempts to join the defence forces. If I may say, your english is outstanding. Better even than most 'native' speakers. I'm assuming its not your first language, being from siberia.
            Last edited by Tango_Charlie; 5 January 2013, 19:24.

Comment

Thank you B Inman for that link. I will investigate it as well.

Also thank you to Tango_Charlie for the welcome and the compliment. English is indeed not my native language, however I have spent almost five years working hard to improve it, and I have certainly received a good deal of help from my Irish/British associates.

Comment

Working...
              X