Off base heli ops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there
    Well done, Scorpy, that's cleared up a lot for me. Quite frankly, there must have been a monstrous culture change in the Don to allow off-base ops to happen. I'm glad to hear that the place can actually deploy, with men and equipment, in a meaningful fashion. Sounds like the place suddenly decided to grow up!

regards
    GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
      Hi there
      Well done, Scorpy, that's cleared up a lot for me. Quite frankly, there must have been a monstrous culture change in the Don to allow off-base ops to happen. I'm glad to hear that the place can actually deploy, with men and equipment, in a meaningful fashion. Sounds like the place suddenly decided to grow up!

regards
      GttC
      Yes I second that Scorpy. It's a relief to know that the AC hasn't lost sight of the military picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
        Well what needs to change then for AC management to up their game?
        Last edited by sofa; 22 January 2013, 23:19.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
          Was there a question there or was it a finger stutter?
          The question still stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
            Was there a question there or was it a finger stutter?
            The question still stands.

No not due to a medical condishion thank god.

I just withdrew my comment, after reading Scorpy's excellent reply

Comment

Well, it's a hell of an improvement from having, in Engineering Wing, where I was, one Honda petrol generator, one jerry can, one water hose, one salvage toolbox (raided and stripped out), no vehicles allocated to Engr Wing, no tents, no cots, no water treatment equipment, no fuel treatment equipment, no aircraft standard portable genny, etc,etc.....I'd love to see it in practise.

regards
              GttC

Comment

In defence of the AC, and its deployability, I have to admit I witnessed some years back, one of the AW139s being repaired in the Bottom Field in Kilworth after it went U/S with an exhaust problem. It was repaired on site I believe, with very little facilities of any sort, and flew out a few days later.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

It's the least they could do, given that it would have been hugely difficult to road it out. Often, changing a tailpipe on any aircraft is much easier than doing it on a car or truck. The exhausts are usually held on with quick-release Marmon clamps and in real terms, it's a simple field job.

regards
                  GttC

Comment

I believe this one was a bit more severe than that. Not sure about the specifics, but it melted.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Great post Scorpy. Thanks for the update on the Army ops. Its great to see that military ops are being taken seriously and hopefully this will continue and perhaps even expand. Its also good to see the green paint is useful for something other than annoying the previous GOC

Goldie,
                      The original AW139 exhausts had a problem with imploding and melting. If believe they were later retrofitted with heavier steel exhausts.

Comment

Pilots can't sleep in tents! I never heard such rubbish. No wonder they are the Cinderellas of the Defence Forces. Needs a Military Mission to re-militarise them.

Comment

Stick the GPMGs in the doors, fire blanks whatever but get used to doing it in the field.[/QUOTE]

they were firing blanks over the curragh on an exercise during the summer
                          first i ever say of them doing it
                          i think they had lads sent to the raf to train on the gunnery side

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy View Post
                            Pilots can't sleep in tents! I never heard such rubbish. No wonder they are the Cinderellas of the Defence Forces. Needs a Military Mission to re-militarise them.
                            There are strict rules regarding fatigue and duty time, suitability of rest facilities and the duration of same in the civilian sphere. The mental and physical demands placed on a pilot do not diminish in the military, if anything they increase. The complexity of the task they do requires them to operate at full mental capacity at all times. The margin for error is small enough without bringing fatigue into the equation.

Do the pilots in Camp Bastion or Bagram sleep in tents? I think not.

If you want to see helicopters falling out of the sky to satisfy some desire to see the fly boys brought down to earth then you need your head examined.

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy View Post
                              Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                              There are strict rules regarding fatigue and duty time, suitability of rest facilities and the duration of same in the civilian sphere. The mental and physical demands placed on a pilot do not diminish in the military, if anything they increase. The complexity of the task they do requires them to operate at full mental capacity at all times. The margin for error is small enough without bringing fatigue into the equation.

Do the pilots in Camp Bastion or Bagram sleep in tents? I think not.

If you want to see helicopters falling out of the sky to satisfy some desire to see the fly boys brought down to earth then you need your head examined.
                              See the Tramore accident report:
                              Conclusions:
                              Findings - 13
                              Systemic Findings - 67

Causes:
                              Systemic Causes - 15

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                                Stick the GPMGs in the doors, fire blanks whatever but get used to doing it in the field.
                                they were firing blanks over the curragh on an exercise during the summer
                                first i ever say of them doing it
                                i think they had lads sent to the raf to train on the gunnery side[/QUOTE]

Seen it in 2011 over fort dunree...

Comment

Working...
                                X