Maritime Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts exactly.
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
      Still no wiser or convinced of the authenticity.
      Merely pointing out that the story was indeed posted here many moons ago, not verifying it's authenticity.

As an aside but of some relevance it is quite possible to passively pick up a military primary ground radar that is painting you on something as simple as an aircraft weather radar. I'm sure if they don't want you to see it you won't but it appears as a solid line radar return from a fixed ground point. I remember one incident while flying south to north over the UK heading for an airport in Scotland, the weather radar picked up traces multiple times. It was soon followed by a visit from a pair of Typhoons. One 1000' above and one 1000' below, from right to left, who then proceeded to break left and position behind. A prior warning from ATC to enjoy the view. Quite obviously a practice ground controlled intercept.

So, if a radar designed to see precipitation can pick up emitted radar signals, I'd say it's plausible that a sophisticated surface search radar could also. Whether it happened as described is not for me to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post

Merely pointing out that the story was indeed posted here many moons ago, not verifying it's authenticity.

As an aside but of some relevance it is quite possible to passively pick up a military primary ground radar that is painting you on something as simple as an aircraft weather radar. I'm sure if they don't want you to see it you won't but it appears as a solid line radar return from a fixed ground point. I remember one incident while flying south to north over the UK heading for an airport in Scotland, the weather radar picked up traces multiple times. It was soon followed by a visit from a pair of Typhoons. One 1000' above and one 1000' below, from right to left, who then proceeded to break left and position behind. A prior warning from ATC to enjoy the view. Quite obviously a practice ground controlled intercept.

So, if a radar designed to see precipitation can pick up emitted radar signals, I'd say it's plausible that a sophisticated surface search radar could also. Whether it happened as described is not for me to say.
        Yes I have seen that exact thing many times, both from ground radars and also seen spikes on the Weather radar from AWACS, so the theory is correct and in practise the Radar on the CASA would have similarly been spiked by other search radars, and it could pick up fast moving traffic and in ideal conditions could capture briefly a target in Track While Scan, but it couldn't spoof or defeat a Fighter Aircraft radar nor was it Jam resistant, and critically it didn't have the software to discern the type of radar emissions that were targeting it.

The Telephonics radar that was part of the mid-life upgrade has significantly more military functionality and had modes that could enable some degree of identification of another radar, that Radar was not on the aircraft when the now Famous F-15 encounter happened.

And in any event that is NOT what was being trialed with the F-15E's, they wanted to practice intercept on slow traffic and that is what one of them did, before (from what I was told at the time) doing a very impressive burner departure from a close formation position.

Comment

Working...
        X