Maritime Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pym View Post
    Also noteworthy is that 253 was up late Sunday night/early hours of Monday for a patrol. They're going constantly - I wouldn't be surprised if they top last years # of patrols.
    Any idea what the # of Patrols/flying hours were for 2012??

Comment

I think someone mentioned a figure ~274 for 2012 - not sure of hours, but they seem to be 5 hrs or more each - I'm in Naas and seem to catch a glimpse of a Casa every day of the week.
      Last edited by pym; 7 August 2013, 16:53.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
        I think someone mentioned a figure ~274 for 2012 - not sure of hours, but they seem to be 5 hrs or more each - I'm in Naas and seem to catch a glimpse of a Casa every day of the week.
        Seams i little on the low side for two mission dedicated aircraft.

Comment

Since the various electronic aids (for the NS FSC) on FVs were introduced airborne patrols aren't required as often.

Comment

Or was this a case of Bank Holiday Baldonnel with no other aircraft/crew available (second CASA/Learjet)?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Since the various electronic aids (for the NS FSC) on FVs were introduced airborne patrols aren't required as often.
              Seriously Dev,

Do you really believe that?

Who Tasks the CASA on a daily basis?

Five patrols a week out of two aircraft would seam low even to a casual observer..

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie252 View Post
                Seams i little on the low side for two mission dedicated aircraft.
                That was Maritime Patrols only as far I know, not sure if customs/covert surveillance is included in that figure, or topcover - then they're also being used for air ambulance, para drops and I assume twin engine training is digging in to their availability since the demise of the SKA.

Like the helicopter fleet, they're being dragged this way and that.

253 seems to be the busiest of the pair.

Comment

Seriously Dev,

Five patrols a week out of two aircraft would seam low even to a casual observer..
                  I had read it somewhere I think but I could be wrong.

Comment

Seriously Dev,

Anything positive to contribute perhaps...?

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Hover View Post
                      Anything positive to contribute perhaps...?
                      So only positive comments are allowed?

I asked a simple question and received a response, do you think the number of patrols seams reasonable for two aircraft??

I would hate to think the CASA's are being used for twin-engine training, that would be a total misuse of very expensive role specific aircraft!!

I don't think any of the other missions, mentioned as affecting availability, should actually reduce the number of patrols.

Have you anything to contribute??

Comment

Given that the CASAs cannot actually board any FVs,other than verifications for the VMS system what else are the desired/actual outputs of the MPs. Are these being rendered obsolete by the recent change in policy of the SFPA to attend and check landings of catch.

Comment

If anything, the MPA have become more useful with the arrival of VMS. At a glance they can see those who have their transponder switched off while fishing, and can close in to photograph and identify the offender, allowing the details to be passed on to the NS for further investigation.

Similarly, when monitoring the movements of suspected smugglers, the MPA can provide an almost real time eyes on for those commanding a potential detection operation.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I would hate to think the CASA's are being used for twin-engine training, that would be a total misuse of very expensive role specific aircraft!!

I don't think any of the other missions, mentioned as affecting availability, should actually reduce the number of patrols.
                            Mea culpa - I don't know if they're being used for twin engined training, just an assumption on my part - and quite possibly wrong. Anyone know for sure?

Apart from the other roles, the other significant variable is the a/c availability, again no direct knowledge, but they've got a quite advanced sensor suite in a nearly 20 year old airframe and I think there were a couple of Pan-Pan engine outs over the last few years.

Point I'm making is - if the patrol figure is low, then there are probably good reasons - and crewing does not appear to be one of them, the old 9-5 Monday to Friday AC, does not tally with what I'm seeing.

Comment

So only positive comments are allowed?

I asked a simple question and received a response, do you think the number of patrols seams reasonable for two aircraft??

Have you anything to contribute??
                              Well I do actually - and it's all quite positive as reflected in the posts above detailing the CASA's true multi-role capability in terms of Air Amb, TopCover as well as ongoing maritime patrolling.

Shock horror if it's being used for twin-eng training - now why would that be a "total misuse" of an aircraft. Most militaries (and airlines) do exactly the same.

Maybe the fishermen are taking August off too!
                              Last edited by Pure Hover; 7 August 2013, 23:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                                If anything, the MPA have become more useful with the arrival of VMS. At a glance they can see those who have their transponder switched off while fishing, and can close in to photograph and identify the offender, allowing the details to be passed on to the NS for further investigation.

Similarly, when monitoring the movements of suspected smugglers, the MPA can provide an almost real time eyes on for those commanding a potential detection operation.
                                Not to mention Naval vessels, which don't usually broadcast their whereabouts via transponder - so the Casa's can fill in those gaps and help the NS build up a picture.

They're a great asset for naval intelligence.

Comment

Working...
                                X