Thanks Thanks:  130
Likes Likes:  184
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 234

Thread: Maritime Patrol

  1. #76
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie252 View Post
    Its a SLAR, Side Looking Airborne radar. Normally used for Pollution detection.
    Another thing we should be doing, but don't have the means to....

  2. Likes DeV liked this post
  3. #77
    C/S
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    Another thing we should be doing, but don't have the means to....
    The curent radar in the CASA has SAR/ISAR capabilities and is more then capable of detecting pollution I am not sure have the AC's version the necessary soft ware.

  4. Likes DeV liked this post
  5. #78
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    From Facebook.

    Last week, members of 101 "Surveillance and Airlift" Squadron joined crews from Denmark, Finland, Germany, Norway and Sweden to participate in the 2015 Super CEPCO - Coordinated Extended Pollution Control Operation.
    The purpose of the operation is to survey an area of intense marine traffic, which has a high probability of illegal discharges, to identify, record and report the detected pollutions and polluters.
    CEPCO provides an opportunity for the Air Corps to participate in a multinational operation and to learn from crews across Europe. Here are a few pictures from the CEPCO 2015.


    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #79
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Air Corps and Naval Service Joint Operation"

    Air Corps Maritime Air Patrol CASA detects a suspicious-looking contact


    Photograph sent by CASA to Naval Operations Command Centre, Haulbowline


    Naval Operation plots the contact


    LE EITHNE (back on routine patrol after Med) sends a Naval Team to inspect the contact


    After check with all agencies, contact sunk by LE EITHNE as a Hazard to Navigation
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. Thanks pym, na grohmití, Shaqra, Flamingo, DeV, Sarsfield, Turkey, Schmigs thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Turkey, Silver liked this post
  8. #80
    Hostage Flamingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Over the water
    Posts
    3,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, how would they have sunk it?
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

  9. #81
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,988
    Post Thanks / Like
    Judging by the photo, would guess they placed charges on board.

    If they used the 57mm, then I demand video evidence

  10. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post
  11. #82
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the look of it, a well placed size 10 would sink it.

  12. Likes DeV, hptmurphy, Sarsfield, Flamingo, pym, Turkey liked this post
  13. #83
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    A burst of GPMG,maybe?

  14. Likes Turkey liked this post
  15. #84
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    moving rapidly away.......
    Posts
    2,560
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    A burst of GPMG,maybe?
    A good sneeze in the right place.
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

  16. #85
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ironic thing about Rhodes' pictures is that it shows two of the failed contenders of the original SAR aircraft competition, still going strong.

  17. #86
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,988
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the age old discussion whenever Air Corps aircraft are replaced:

    If the Casa's make it to Marpat retirement age and their replacements enter service - is there anything to be said for keeping them on, stripped out, for use as transports?

    Or will they be thoroughly worn out after 25 years?

  18. Likes Tempest liked this post
  19. #87
    Lt General
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Ironic thing about Rhodes' pictures is that it shows two of the failed contenders of the original SAR aircraft competition, still going strong.
    I never understood why the Fokker didn't make it. in 1998 they were a banker.

  20. #88
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are worn out now as it stands

  21. Thanks pym thanked for this post
  22. #89
    2/Lt
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark23 View Post
    They are worn out now as it stands
    In that case I hope we pay for new builds to replace them.

  23. #90
    Space Lord of Terra morpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Metropolis
    Posts
    3,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    and fly them out over the irish sea and engage them with surface to air missiles as a shoot down ex
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

  24. #91
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see that the transport and air ambulance roles performed by the CASAs is noted in the WP. Gives extra weight to the need for a transport capability outside of that given by what is specifically supposed to be a MarPat aircraft.

    Although a specific number of current CASAs (2) is given in the WP, a definite number of replacements is not given. Might we see an extra one or two replacement aircraft added to those to replace the current CASAs?

    Also for those aircraft techs out there, if dual role MarPat / transport variants are purchased, how would operations from any rough field environments affect things like belly radar domes, radar dishes and items normally found on a maritime patroller, but not on a transport version? (If I remember correctly, that roll-on, roll-off maritime pallet only held the operator station and maybe some associated computers.) Could the radar dome etc be removed, and replaced by a "regular" "flat" floor panel?

  25. Likes DeV liked this post
  26. #92
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Good to see that the transport and air ambulance roles performed by the CASAs is noted in the WP. Gives extra weight to the need for a transport capability outside of that given by what is specifically supposed to be a MarPat aircraft.

    Although a specific number of current CASAs (2) is given in the WP, a definite number of replacements is not given. Might we see an extra one or two replacement aircraft added to those to replace the current CASAs?

    Also for those aircraft techs out there, if dual role MarPat / transport variants are purchased, how would operations from any rough field environments affect things like belly radar domes, radar dishes and items normally found on a maritime patroller, but not on a transport version? (If I remember correctly, that roll-on, roll-off maritime pallet only held the operator station and maybe some associated computers.) Could the radar dome etc be removed, and replaced by a "regular" "flat" floor panel?
    Also supported by the rapid reaction inf coy

  27. #93
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    @meridian; the radome could be removed and the associated bracketry easily undone and the belly returned to a normal profile easily enough. The allegedly roll-on,off module was anything but....but is essentially removeable within a short time span, like overnight by a night shift crew.

  28. Thanks meridian, ias, Turkey thanked for this post
  29. #94
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given the current and past behaviour by the DoD, the Casas would get an angle grinder put thru them rather than sell them off and there appears to be no motivation to strip them out as simple freighters/air ambulance/parachuting/emergency relief. they will have very high hours and airframe cycles in a maritime environment and will be essentially worthless.

  30. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy liked this post
  31. #95
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that information GTTC. I thought that it would be something that could be done alright. I wasn't sure what the status of the current Casa systems fit was in terms of removing it - I was more thinking of the ro-ro equipment fit shown in a YouTube video I saw a while back. Can't track down that video, but it showed the mission equipment being rolled along the cargo rollers in the floor directly on to a pallet loader. Pretty much plug and play.

    With the roles listed for the the current Casa aircraft, and the increased capabilities the replacement aircraft will provide, those aircraft are to the Air Corps what the Multi Role Vessel(s?) will be to the Naval Service. Will be interesting to see what sort of equipment fit they are spec'd out with to fulfill those roles.

  32. #96
    C/S
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    The floor of the Casas is not a roller-mat floor, used in proper transport aircraft and the Mission equipment module is essentially bolted and clamped to embedded rails. It isn't as quick-detachable as a true ro-ro pallet. For the Don Casas to do that, the floor panels would have to be stripped out and a roller-mat floor fitted. As a routine example, we have such floors in our A330s as standard, in the hold, in the Former State Airline, for rolling in standard cargo bins and these floors have motorised rollers and locks. Aircraft like DHL's A300s have all of the floor space fitted with them.

  33. Thanks DeV, Turkey, meridian thanked for this post
  34. #97
    Private 3*
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't think these aircraft will be in the class of a multi-role vessel to be honest, a C-295 with 9000kg payload only has a max range of 1300 km, Beirut for example or any other current or likely area of operations is 3900 km away with a flight time of over 8 hours at casa speeds! Also bear in mind it's limited to palletised cargo.

    A real "multi-role vessel" type would be a c-130 aircraft possibly equipped with a flir, two of these able to support overseas rapid deployment of forces, vehicles, Nordic battle group, sof etc and also long range maritime sovereignty patrols similar to uscg uses and leave the air ambulance, atcp, medium range marpat to a casa type hopefully with four aircraft to maintain 24 hr readiness.

    Or possible a fleet of say six or seven king airs for marpat, air ambulance, twin engine trainer, vip and again two c-130 types for very long range ops, also c-130 being a common platform for operating with partner nations or piggy backing on their training systems, sims etc
    Last edited by Spark23; 4th September 2015 at 22:54.

  35. Thanks meridian thanked for this post
    Likes Dogwatch liked this post
  36. #98
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    20,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark23 View Post
    Don't think these aircraft will be in the class of a multi-role vessel to be honest, a C-295 with 9000kg payload only has a max range of 1300 km, Beirut for example or any other current or likely area of operations is 3900 km away with a flight time of over 8 hours at casa speeds! Also bear in mind it's limited to palletised cargo.

    A real "multi-role vessel" type would be a c-130 aircraft possibly equipped with a flir, two of these able to support overseas rapid deployment of forces, vehicles, Nordic battle group, sof etc and also long range maritime sovereignty patrols similar to uscg uses and leave the air ambulance, atcp, medium range marpat to a casa type hopefully with four aircraft to maintain 24 hr readiness.

    Or possible a fleet of say six or seven king airs for marpat, air ambulance, twin engine trainer, vip and again two c-130 types for very long range ops, also c-130 being a common platform for operating with partner nations or piggy backing on their training systems, sims etc
    Very nice but Government policy is now to replace the CASAs with larger aircraft with a transport capability (could be a C295 or a Herc).

  37. #99
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you Spark23, the extra space a C-130 class aircraft would definitely be a game changer in terms of what the Air Corps and wider Defence Forces could provide both to national or multi-national requirements. (I say C-130 class aircraft, as we've gotten a few different aircraft types in that pool now - C-130, A-400M, Kawasaki C-1 and Embraer KC-390. Everything except the Herc is in some stage of development, and not in as widespread use, so the C-130 is probably what would be chosen if we were to go that big. But that's another story...)

    However, I'm thinking that there are a few factors pointing towards the Casa option:

    1. The roles and lift requirement of any potential Air Corps transport aircraft
    2. It would be the first dedicated (along with it's Marpat role) transport aircraft flown by the AC - so no need to get ahead of yourself lads with something too big (covers point 1 and 2),
    3. Air Corps familiarity with Casa aircraft, and therefore easier absorption,
    4. Reasonably frequent visits of C-295s over the last few years (OK, based on that we could be getting C-17s but I think the Casa might be a bit more likely)

    But, without the spec available for what is required of this aircraft, it's all just good natured speculation. And even if it's only the -295 they end up getting, it will still give the Air Corps the ability to conduct a larger range of roles with a greater amount of lift capability over longer distances. I'd be happy with that for a start, with a letter to Santa in my best handwritting for a few bigger machines in the future

  38. #100
    Captain Jetjock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Ironic thing about Rhodes' pictures is that it shows two of the failed contenders of the original SAR aircraft competition, still going strong.
    It also shows the tender winner going stronger , supported by a company that still exists and an aircraft still in production.

    Not every DOD decision was a bad one. Strangely.

  39. Likes DeV, pym, ias, na grohmití liked this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •