• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people need to get over their post colonial PTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
      Some people need to get over their post colonial PTSD
      Indeed, these people choose to ignore that in most cases, the ruling regime responsible for colonisation was ousted by it's own people. Suggestions that the actions of these states in a state that may have been a colony under an ousted ruler is a continuation of colonialism is thinly veiled racism.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
        Indeed, these people choose to ignore that in most cases, the ruling regime responsible for colonisation was ousted by it's own people. Suggestions that the actions of these states in a state that may have been a colony under an ousted ruler is a continuation of colonialism is thinly veiled racism.
        I am trying but I cannot work out what you are saying here

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
          I am trying but I cannot work out what you are saying here
          My apologies. I find it hard to construct a sentence when using this site on my phone.
          The likes of pink shirt man in the dail and his fellow travellers like to suggest the Intervention of large nations like France is in Mali a continuation of colonialism.
          France deposed the rulers responsible for colonialism. Its people actively opposed their politics. To my knowledge the Modern French Republic has not colonised anyone. It does however continue to protect the people who decided to remain under french rule or who have french citizenship.
          To suggest the actions of France in Mali is a continuation of colonialism is merely a dressed up way of saying "all french are the same, they are the same people who colonised the world in the 17th century".

Comment

• It may be a different republic that initially colonised the country but in a lot of cases it is the same republic that existed when the country achieved independence. France does like to exert influence when it can over its former colonies. Like pink shirt man I do have some concerns where there is an EU mission (where it can be easily perceived that France has a significant influence), operating in a country that was a former French colony, where France has a significant military presence (not under the control of the EU mission) supporting the government who may or may not be one of the parties that is the subject of the underlying UN mandate. It would be more difficult in those circumstances for any EU nation to be seen as independent. By the way I have not read the mandate so the whole argument may be moot.

Comment

• At least France, gives kinetic military assistance when requested to its former colonies

Let’s not forget that Mali nearly fell to AQ/IS

Comment

• Lots of Malians and citizens of other former French colonies are quite happy to have France look after the heavy lifting when it comes to fighting terrorists and coincidentally keeping their own rapacious militaries and governments on the straight and narrow. It also has the strategic effect of keeping the Russians and Chinese out or under close watch.

Comment

It may be a different republic that initially colonised the country but in a lot of cases it is the same republic that existed when the country achieved independence. France does like to exert influence when it can over its former colonies. Like pink shirt man I do have some concerns where there is an EU mission (where it can be easily perceived that France has a significant influence), operating in a country that was a former French colony, where France has a significant military presence (not under the control of the EU mission) supporting the government who may or may not be one of the parties that is the subject of the underlying UN mandate. It would be more difficult in those circumstances for any EU nation to be seen as independent. By the way I have not read the mandate so the whole argument may be moot.
                  Possibly akin to Ireland still expecting the UK to defend our airspace.

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                    Possibly akin to Ireland still expecting the UK to defend our airspace.
                    And if we had UK military based here, they did patrols alongside the Irish DF and they got involved an internal dispute.

Comment

And if we had UK military based here, they did patrols alongside the Irish DF and they got involved an internal dispute.
                      You mean if we had invited them here to do so because the internal dispute was about to overwhelm the DF and take Dublin. Keep it equivalent.

Comment

• And then when the UN brokered a deal and sent in a force of peacekeepers that included the U.K. and some of its economic allies. Just keeping it equivalent.

Comment

• [in French]

From what I can make out (thank you Google translate) a Gazelle was hit by small arms fire, which started a blaze on board and the crew of three had to make an emergency landing in hostile territory - the sharpshooter was the least injured and managed to get the other two crew out of the burning wreck.. and they were then evacuated by being strapped to the outside of a Eurocopter Tiger.

Comment

• Originally posted by pym View Post
                            http://www.opex360.com/2019/06/25/ba...ration-aconit/

[in French]

From what I can make out (thank you Google translate) a Gazelle was hit by small arms fire, which started a blaze on board and the crew of three had to make an emergency landing in hostile territory - the sharpshooter was the least injured and managed to get the other two crew out of the burning wreck.. and they were then evacuated by being strapped to the outside of a Eurocopter Tiger.
                            One of these Gazelle?

Comment

And then when the UN brokered a deal and sent in a force of peacekeepers that included the U.K. and some of its economic allies. Just keeping it equivalent.
                              Any of whom Mali could object to.

Comment

• It is privately acknowledged that the troops will likely be targeted by extremist groups fighting for power in the African nation.

U.K. is sending 250 troops to MINUSMA

Comment

Working...
                                X