No announcement yet.

Mali.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please please please please please let us provide a regional force reserve with a Mech BG, please please please please please please please.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Just hire reputable hauliage companies to bring vehicles overland this time. Not Ahmed & co with his 30 year old flatbed and a bit of hemp twine and some balsa wood wheel chocks.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        Just hire reputable hauliage companies to bring vehicles overland this time. Not Ahmed & co with his 30 year old flatbed and a bit of hemp twine and some balsa wood wheel chocks.
        Thing is that african shitholes dont generally have reputable haulage companies, Ahmeds Nolan transport offshoot set up might be the best you can do!
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Oh please, please, please let this happen.

PLEASE.

Comment

On another note Minister Shatter is really starting to impress with his views on Defence and the DF's future roles.

I've never seen someone who holds the Defence portfolio be so interested in Defence.

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
              Please please please please please let us provide a regional force reserve with a Mech BG, please please please please please please please.
              actually, having read the yahoo article that Dev just posted up the thread, i'm not absolutely sure i'd want to be in on the UN force - firstly it talks about the conditions for deployment being that, effectively, peace has broken out with the various naughty groups having been fcuked off, and that - to my reading at least - elections have already been held. it also makes clear that if theres a problem, it'll be the French force, not the UN force, that does the fisticuffs.

so a pecekeeping op in a place thats at peace, and at peace to the degree that elections have already been held? Cork sounds sportier than that... then the idea that the UN force is so 'unforceful' that if there's a problem it can't/won't generate its own outgoing and will get the French to do the business.

i'm a big fan of the French - and the Germans after spending time with them - but i'm not a fan of UN-hatted jobs, and this one sounds like they're writing the chaos/ineffectiveness in from the start, rather than the normal practice of developing it in country. press for an EU force to support the French and mesh into their logs train and fire support set-up - ideally with the French in it - and leave the UN to hand out condoms to rape victims, or whatever the hell they do...

Comment

To be honest, the EU has been making the running on this (and is looking for a situation where it can be seen to be a player in the security world). I'd be very surprised if the UN, post resolution, didn't hand it over to a 'regional security' actor, and let the EU do the leg work. Like Chad at the start, rather than at the end, in other words.

If New York is actively involved in running the operation, I'd pass too, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                  On another note Minister Shatter is really starting to impress with his views on Defence and the DF's future roles.

I've never seen someone who holds the Defence portfolio be so interested in Defence.
                  And the funny thing is, he gives it second place compared to his Justice Portfolio.
                  It isn't him. It's government. He is merely the mouthpiece. Enda has a firm interest in defence. Even the Committee have visited the Naval Base and the Glen.

Quite funny photos on facepalm of committee members wearing Body Armour taken in the glen last week. Clearly one size does not fit all.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

And the funny thing is, he gives it second place compared to his Justice Portfolio.
                    It isn't him. It's government. He is merely the mouthpiece. Enda has a firm interest in defence. Even the Committee have visited the Naval Base and the Glen.

Quite funny photos on facepalm of committee members wearing Body Armour taken in the glen last week. Clearly one size does not fit all.
                    I saw them photos alright! Bit of a laugh.

A EUFOR mission would also be the best in my eyes. Probably more respect from the locals too given the UN's chequered history in Africa.
                    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                    He put a bullet through his brain.
                    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Alan is an old man in a hurry, he's spent years in opposition and on the back benches, this is his once change perhaps to achieve something in politics.

Given his background, justice is his main intrest, but even still he's light years ahead of the "Minister of Defence for limerick" type that has held the post before

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                        actually, having read the yahoo article that Dev just posted up the thread, i'm not absolutely sure i'd want to be in on the UN force - firstly it talks about the conditions for deployment being that, effectively, peace has broken out with the various naughty groups having been fcuked off, and that - to my reading at least - elections have already been held. it also makes clear that if theres a problem, it'll be the French force, not the UN force, that does the fisticuffs.

so a pecekeeping op in a place thats at peace, and at peace to the degree that elections have already been held? Cork sounds sportier than that... then the idea that the UN force is so 'unforceful' that if there's a problem it can't/won't generate its own outgoing and will get the French to do the business.

i'm a big fan of the French - and the Germans after spending time with them - but i'm not a fan of UN-hatted jobs, and this one sounds like they're writing the chaos/ineffectiveness in from the start, rather than the normal practice of developing it in country. press for an EU force to support the French and mesh into their logs train and fire support set-up - ideally with the French in it - and leave the UN to hand out condoms to rape victims, or whatever the hell they do...
                        most people on here will know of my dislike to most things about the UN, but what you have said that is pretty much why i have always hated any UN mission and been lucky enough to have avoided any official UN duties throughout my career.

it's time the ONH got the chance to serve operationally without them.
                        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 23 April 2013, 20:47.
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                          most people on here will know of my dislike to most things about the UN, but what you have said that is pretty much why i have always hated any UN mission and been lucky enough to have avoided any official UN duties throughout my career.

it's time the ONH got the chance to serve operationally without them.
                          Did a dissertation on the UN in Africa...by my parameters the UN didn't come out in a good light (I thought it was a fairly unbiased write up too).

And thanks for the ONH
                          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                          He put a bullet through his brain.
                          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post

Are you being sarcastic?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                              Are you being sarcastic?
                              Why would I be joking?

Comment

Whoever it is, it's quite encouraging!

Comment

Working...
                                X