No announcement yet.

Mali.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RGJ. your comments are very petty and I'm beginning to think you are more a 40 ish Billy no mates behind a computer in your bedroom of your mothers council flat in Camden or somewhere.

Comment

• There was me forgetting this is our first non-blue hatted mission............. after:

EUTM Somalia
      ISAF
      EUFOR Bosnia
      SFOR
      IFOR
      KFOR
      INTERFET
      OSCE
      ECMM
      Op Artemis
      EUFOR Chad/CAR
      EUNAVFOR

Comment

• Who gives a continental fcuk how her hat was for that 1/1000th of a second while the picture was taken. However those who know her, give a fcuk that she is a great Soldier, even better person and excellent and experienced at her job as an instructor, she is one of those I am proud to know.
        Anyway, I was never in Belize so I wouldn't have the bad manners to criticise how the lads in Belize wear their hats.
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• i'm not on about how she wears her hat, but wearing the right hat.

the pics of Harry are of him wearing a hat that matches the tone of his uniform and is pictured during down time and not in training.

i may be mistaken but isn't this Sgt English in this pic?

that is what i was referring to.

they had to send 8 people out there - i was just hoping they might have gone with the basics like full correct uniform.

and of course i know of the many missions the ONH have done without the UN, and sofa i am sorry to disappoint you but i've been a serving soldier since 1988 - in both the ONH and the British Army, and still continue to serve whilst living in a nice house in Aldershot not Camden, and i have more military service and experience than most on here.
          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 24 May 2013, 09:21.
          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Most. But not all. And you should not forget that.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
              what's wrong RJ? is this too British for you or are you unhappy to see an ONH soldier working with British troops?

post the Irish DoD's version then if this MoD one isn't good enough for you.

anyhow i think it's great to see them both working together like this, especially overseas without that dreaded blue beret.
              Its already been posted on the thread. Twice.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• nice to see Sgt English listened and sorted her head-dress out.
                Listened to whom exactly??The RIR lads??
                i'm not on about how she wears her hat, but wearing the right hat.
                In both the photos of Sgt.English she is wearing the correct hat.
                they had to send 8 people out there - i was just hoping they might have gone with the basics like full correct uniform.
                They did go with full correct uniform.Including some gucci items the rest of us are yet to be issued.Like the UBACS. 5.11 ballcaps and other items.
                and i have more military service and experience than most on here.
                Careful now mate.There are a few of us here who could challenge that statement.Yours is not the only opinion here and the BA way is not the only way of doing things.
                For instance despite your opinion Sgt.English's head dress was worn exactly according to DF SOP for troops overseas in warm climates.Ball caps are worn IN camp along with shirt if on duty or in training.Driflo and ballcaps are worn for routine duties.Outside camp Boonie hats are worn or helmets depending on the threat and a DPM outer,which in this mission is the UBACS.Berets are worn for parades or inspections.
                The only exception to this is the lebanon where we wear ballcaps all the time as the boonie hat does not have a UN badge on it.It's an FP measure.
                Thats all.Carry on.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• if i were working under the Malian sun, i'd be wearing the lightest coloured hat i could lay my hands on - and knowing the OC of the Artillery Training Team, i'd be amazed if any two of its members are wearing the same kit: the man is so scruffy tramps edge away from him on park benches.

i remain concerned that ONH has not fielded an arid/desert DPM uniform for its soldiers, but only for their comfort and protection - wearing a dark green suit in saharan Africa doesn't sound like much fun to me...

i would image that Sgt. English is making a contribution out of all proportion to her role - like other female soldiers working in 'less desirable' areas of the world, she is doubtless providing a role model to local women, and showing the local men that women are as capable, as professional, and as well educated as any of her male colleagues, and as such is probbly helping to breakdown some of the barriers to female emancipation in that part of the world.

bloody good luck to her, and all her colleagues - and no, i couldn't give a fcuk what hats they are wearing either...

Comment

• RGJ: I could put up more pics of US and British forces in Afghan conducting ops wearing baseball caps and wearing green jackets with ACU trousers and boots that don't match but it's not a fashion show.

I just wish the DF could get some good photos back...damn that poor internet connection
                    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                    He put a bullet through his brain.
                    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• I see we're moving towards the "velcro biceps" too. I wonder will the shirts go the same way...

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                        RGJ: I could put up more pics of US and British forces in Afghan conducting ops wearing baseball caps and wearing green jackets with ACU trousers and boots that don't match but it's not a fashion show.

I just wish the DF could get some good photos back...damn that poor internet connection
                        we digress however -

there are hundreds of instances of soldiers wearing the wrong gear, but that is mostly due to the masses literally not being fully issued everything, we had upto 10,000 troops out there in Afghan (and another 7,000 concurrently on ops in Iraq for most of it) to kit out - you had 8 in this instance - if you are going to issue baseball caps - surely you can get them to match the uniform?

i and most of my mates wore an 'unconventional' base-ball caps in Iraq and Afghan - but never in an official capacity.

you will still see plenty of DPM kit being used with MTP as we transition, and you will still see many troops wearing non-issue baseball caps during downtime but not in an official capacity.

but desert colour baseball caps (and boots) worn with temperate camo combats as part of official uniform - not just exercising troops?

strangely enough i still have 3 x issued uniforms - Desert, DPM and MTP - and i have 3 issued baseball caps - Desert, DPM and MTP.

i thought her combats might be of a lighter material for operating in Africa instead of Ireland but i think it was highlighted elsewhere that this is not the case.

anyhow, velcro biceps are essentials these days when wearing CBA.
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Wow, I'm an absolute gear whore and I wouldn't be this interested in the Lady's headdress.

Whatever is comfortable and keeps the sun out of the eyes, job done, end of; surely?

Comment

• RGJ, the point isn't about what she's wearing for feck sake, it's about how she can do the job. She wasn't dressed to your exacting standards. Big deal. Can she do the job just as well as if all her clothes were colour coded? Absolutely.

I think we should have some kind of desert/arid uniform but we don't so we work with what we have.

Comment

• Yeah

I mean come on, its not like we send troops overseas to work in dusty sandy african conditions all the time now is it....

oh, wait a sec...
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                                Yeah

I mean come on, its not like we send troops overseas to work in dusty sandy african conditions all the time now is it....

oh, wait a sec...
                                We all know that at the end of the day it comes down to €. It's bullshit and nobody on here agrees with it but that's how it is.