Mali.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    nice to see Sgt English listened and sorted her head-dress out.
    Listened to who exactly? You? She's over there doing a job, so I very much doubt she's on here reading posts and I certainly very much doubt, she wore different head dress because you reckon she should have.

As Apod said, it's ball cap's in camp and bush hat once you're outside the fence. Simple.

If you have an issue with the fact the DF doesn't issue desert DPM to it's troops, welcome to the gang, most people have an issue with it. If you have a problem with the fact that desert boots and a ball cap means she's not colour coded, give Gok Wan a ring and I'm sure he'll show you some sympathy.

"Nice to see Sgt English listened and sorted her head-dress out".... Jesus ****ing Christ.

Comment

• The very same pic put up of the Irish soldier wearing a ball cap and desert boots, has a French soldier in it wearing Desert DPM, black boots and a green battlevest.

Nothing to be said about that of course. I'm sure they somehow got it right, it's just DF who warranted criticism for it.

Comment

• from the minister answering questions in the dail thread - today

Topical Issue Debate

Defence Forces Equipment

The particular question I have surrounds the issuing of inappropriate footwear to members of the Defence Forces. As I said at the outset, it might seem like an insignificant issue but for those people who are labouring for us in the deserts of the Lebanon, it is a vitally important issue. Desert boots are normal kit for such tours of duty but I understand members of the Defence Forces have been supplied with steel capped boots, both supplied by the same manufacturer. One set of footwear is appropriate while the other is most inappropriate.

Minister of State at the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation (Deputy John Perry): I thank Deputy Ó Fearghaíl for raising this matter. The Minister, Deputy Alan Shatter, asked me to apologise for his unavailability.

The Department of the Defence has not received any requests from the Defence Forces for the provision of additional clothing. In any event, the procurement of such clothing is a function delegated to the Defence Forces. I am advised there is no issue in regard to the provision of standard issue boots. Prior to departure to the mission area, all personnel would have undergone a kit inspection and any clothing item requiring replacement would have been replaced accordingly.

Ireland has a long association with UNIFIL since its establishment in 1978 and the 108th infantry battalion of 357 members of the Irish Defence Forces was recently deployed to Lebanon. Participation by members of the Irish Defence Forces in UNIFIL is a continuation of our honourable tradition of supporting the United Nations in the cause of peace and security, a tradition spanning over half a century.

I will outline the background to the acquisition of clothing and equipment for the Defence Forces. The Department of Defence maintains an open door policy with its acquisition of such clothing and equipment. The principles of transparency, non-discrimination and equality of treatment are applied to the widest possible extent to companies interested in supplying such equipment to the Defence Forces.

Tender competitions are held by the contracts branch in the Department and the Defence Forces for the acquisition of a wide range of clothing, kit and defensive equipment covering standard ammunition, weapons, armoured personnel carriers, light tactical armoured vehicles and a wide range of clothing and equipment for the individual soldiers to ensure that they are suitably equipped to carry out their roles at home and overseas. The principal aims of such tender competitions are to achieve value for money for such equipment and to ensure a fair tendering process for all companies.

A particular focus is maintained in ensuring that modern and effective equipment is available for overseas peace support operations.

The personal equipment, including clothing, which the individual soldiers have at their disposal in Lebanon and on other overseas missions is second to none. It compares favourably with the equipment used by other countries. The Defence Forces authorities have assured the Minister that appropriate force protection assets and capabilities have been deployed to operate in the current and future environment in Lebanon.

The Defence Forces issue a comprehensive set of clothing to each member of the Defence Forces. This clothing is designed to cope with a wide range of weather conditions at home and overseas. Additional supplementary clothing and footwear may be issued where extreme conditions are to be encountered. I am advised that the Defence Forces are satisfied that the current clothing arrangements are sufficient for the requirements of the Defence Forces. The Minister has been advised that the Defence Forces carry a range of clothing sizes to cater for all sizes. If required, provision is made for an individually sized set of uniforms to be manufactured by the supplier. In recent years, significant work has been carried out on the acquisition of an integrated protection and load carrying system for individual soldiers. This top-of-the-range system includes body armour, helmets, backpacks, rucksacks and battle vests. The battle vests are used for the carriage of essential items such as ammunition, personal radios and water.

I am advised that military training techniques are up to date in all respects. Defence Forces training plans are specifically structured to provide the capabilities needed to execute the roles assigned to them by the Government. The challenges of preparing military units for participation in international peace support operations constitute the major dimension of the collective training of the Defence Forces. The primary focus of this training is the attainment of a capability for military interoperability in order to conduct peace support operations to international standards. Training standards in the Defence Forces are constantly benchmarked against best international practice. Defence Forces personnel have full access to the best international training standards available. On behalf of the Minister, Deputy Shatter, and myself, I conclude by wishing each member of the 108th Infantry Battalion UNIFIL a safe and successful mission.

Deputy Seán Ó Fearghaíl: I agree with the vast bulk of what the Minister of State has said. Of course our personnel are well trained. Of course they are suitable to undertake the tasks they will face in Lebanon. Of course the equipment supplied to them is more than adequate for the challenges they will meet. However, the Minister of State did not really respond to the specific issue I raised. He reiterated the point made by the Army Press Office during the week when it completely denied that there is any difficulty with the use of steel-capped boots by the soldiers who have travelled to Lebanon. According to the information I have received, the military authorities erroneously ordered 600 pairs of steel-capped boots instead of desert boots. This has since been denied by the military press office. I have been informed that the normal desert boots were issued to 238 personnel, but that sufficient numbers of such boots were not in stock to meet the needs of all 320 personnel travelling to Lebanon. I have been told that the desert boots have now been withdrawn from those to whom they had been issued and that steel-capped boots have been issued to all personnel. That has given rise to practical difficulties for the soldiers who are representing this State in Lebanon. Unfortunately, it is leading to a certain level of derision for them as they operate alongside people of other nationalities. While I hope the information I have been given is entirely wrong, I doubt that it is. I ask the Minister of State to investigate the matter.

Deputy John Perry: I can raise that issue directly with the Minister. I said clearly in my initial reply that "additional supplementary clothing and footwear may be issued where extreme conditions are to be encountered". The Deputy said clearly that there is an issue with the supply of footwear. There is no issue with the standard of the boots that have been provided. If the wrong set of boots was issued - steel-capped boots instead of desert boots - I imagine they could be exchanged. I have no doubt that could be done in the same way it is done by any business or operation that receives the wrong delivery. I do not think it is a case of lack of provision by the State in any sense. The best equipment has been made available. If there was a wrong delivery - steel-capped boots rather than desert boots - I expect they can be changed. I imagine that could have been the case. That is my own observation. The Minister has said there is no issue in this regard at the moment. I would be amazed if the Defence Forces were to state in a press release that there is no issue when there is an issue.

Deputy Seán Ó Fearghaíl: So would I.

Deputy John Perry: I will raise the Deputy's concerns with the Minister.
        So... where 600 pairs of the wrong type ordered - or delivered?
        typical army solution- issue half the lads with the right boots, run out of the right boots, take back the right boots from half the lads - issue everyone the wrong boots. so now they can all be wrong, in a smart, uniform and soldier like manner....
        Also love the way our gear our one uniform is apparently magoically capable of adapting to all conditions and that our gear is "second to none" ... so who are we comparing with?
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
          Listened to who exactly?

Anonymous people on the internet who use vague & unexplained terms in their posts in order to add to their mystique.
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

• The fact that you have to go to the Leb or Mali to be issued with boots that don't have steel toe caps says it all. Even then, it's a pair of poxy Magnum's you're issued with.

It's now at the stage where, if you want to have a pair of boots that won't destroy your feet when you're out on the ground, you have to buy them yourself. It's a disgrace.

Comment

If you have a problem with the fact that desert boots and a ball cap means she's not colour coded, give Gok Wan a ring and I'm sure he'll show you some sympathy.

"Nice to see Sgt English listened and sorted her head-dress out".... Jesus ****ing Christ.
              Fridgey you hit the nail on the head there, Gok Wan.... I am so going to unashamedly rob that and pass it off as something I just thought off.
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                Well, I'm sure D is over there not for how she wears a boonie hat but her instructional experience and professionalism.. I'll mention that to her RGJ when she returns home.. lol
                Well done, D.... hadn't realised she was out there....
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The very same pic put up of the Irish soldier wearing a ball cap and desert boots, has a French soldier in it wearing Desert DPM, black boots and a green battlevest.

Nothing to be said about that of course. I'm sure they somehow got it right, it's just DF who warranted criticism for it.
                  if i could speak French and post it on www.frenchmilitaryonline.com i would of said something there too
                  Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 24 May 2013, 16:18.
                  RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

if i could speak French and post it on www.frenchmilitaryonline.com i would of said something there too
                    Oh how I wish that site existed, I'd go on and just post "Oui" constantly.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      Fridgey you hit the nail on the head there, Gok Wan.... I am so going to unashamedly rob that and pass it off as something I just thought off.
                      Feel free to rob it!

Comment

Well your French can't be any worse than your English.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                          Well your French can't be any worse than your English.
                          you can thank my Irish education for that one
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Anyone heard anything new about the mission to Mali or if we're contributing many bods?

Comment

• Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
                              Anyone heard anything new about the mission to Mali or if we're contributing many bods?
                              the British Defence Secretary paid them a visit the other week, and we still have regular military flights to Bamako. i'm not sure if British or Irish numbers have changed from the outset.

are the ONH flying into Brize for re-supps, or direct to Africa?
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
                                Anyone heard anything new about the mission to Mali or if we're contributing many bods?
                                The CoS has been dropping a few hints lately that there looks like there will be Irish troops on the new UN mission.

Comment

Working...
                                X