Irish Army Observer Corps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    The only guy with a functioning anti-radiation suit, ie FCA boiler suit.

regards
    GttC
    Don't forget your piss pot helmet!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Does anyone remember the annual civil defence exercises that used to be shown on telly?

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
        Does anyone remember the annual civil defence exercises that used to be shown on telly?
        As mentioned in Post 8. Sunday mornings usually. Don't remember any detail about them though.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Off topic slightly as this all relates to Norn Iron...

'When I were a lad'...I lived in the married quarters of an RUC Station.

Which was a house attached to an RUC Station...

Me and my brothers used to make a general nuisance of ourselves around the place.

In the 'Guardroom' there was amongst the phones, radios and Sterling SMG's a grey thing with a big switch and a speaker.

When you switched it on...as I often did...it made a blip...blip...blip noise continuously.

Apparently it was part of the infrastructure to detect and report a nuclear attack???

I also recall about two dozen hand cranked air raid sirens in one of the store rooms at the back of the station.

Again...story was they were to be issued in the event of the threat of nuclear war.

All sounds a bit fanciful I know...but my late Father was the local Sheriff (Station Sergeant) and he told me...

As another aside...for my Duke of Edinburghs Award Scheme community service I painted...

Our local Royal Observer Corps Nuclear Bomb Shelter

Changed times!!!
          'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
            Off topic slightly as this all relates to Norn Iron...

'When I were a lad'...I lived in the married quarters of an RUC Station.

Which was a house attached to an RUC Station...

Me and my brothers used to make a general nuisance of ourselves around the place.

In the 'Guardroom' there was amongst the phones, radios and Sterling SMG's a grey thing with a big switch and a speaker.

When you switched it on...as I often did...it made a blip...blip...blip noise continuously.

Apparently it was part of the infrastructure to detect and report a nuclear attack???

I also recall about two dozen hand cranked air raid sirens in one of the store rooms at the back of the station.

Again...story was they were to be issued in the event of the threat of nuclear war.

All sounds a bit fanciful I know...but my late Father was the local Sheriff (Station Sergeant) and he told me...

As another aside...for my Duke of Edinburghs Award Scheme community service I painted...

Our local Royal Observer Corps Nuclear Bomb Shelter

Changed times!!!
            bahahah!

you mean this?

here it is in action, in probably the grimmest piece of cinema ever created:
            Last edited by pym; 15 February 2013, 01:06.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
              bahahah!

you mean this?

here it is in action, in probably the grimmest piece of cinema ever created:
              http://youtu.be/X9rh4CDj9SI?t=5m44s
              Thats it...and that clip brings back some memories!

I googled that bomb shelter I painted years ago...it's still intact...I must go and have a look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                Thats it...and that clip brings back some memories!

I googled that bomb shelter I painted years ago...it's still intact...I must go and have a look at it.
                As per the Dáil debate in my first post - It was leaked in the mid 80's that the Barracks in Athlone was linked to the same grey box system (HANDEL) - which certain people tried to exploit for political purposes, despite the fact it was sensible & mature for us to be linked: it was the only way there'd be a chance the authorities here could know that the warheads were inbound.

More info about HANDEL:

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                  As per the Dáil debate in my first post - It was leaked in the mid 80's that the Barracks in Athlone was linked to the same grey box system (HANDEL) - which certain people tried to exploit for political purposes, despite the fact it was sensible & mature for us to be linked: it was the only way there'd be a chance the authorities here could know that the warheads were inbound.

More info about HANDEL:
                  http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page212.htm
                  That whole infrastructure was amazing...every Police Station was linked in.

I see photos of the sirens in your link.

Now I'm going to be hunting ebay for a WB400 Handel Unit!!

Re the ROC shelter...it was accessed via a very deep vertical shaft which led into the living / working area.

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a water tank of some sort near the top of the shaft, which would be filled with water in times of heightened threat. That was then the decontamination facility for anyone who had to venture outside. They were expected to take a photo of any blast and the subsequent mushroom cloud, then report its dimensions back to HQ.

I had a Saturday job labouring on the farm of a bloke who was in the ROC, sadly since deceased, thats how I ended up getting into it.

So sorry now that I didn't take some interior photos, but back then you just assumed those things were always going to be there.

Comment

Lots of those shelters / OP's in the UK, I saw on for sale on eBay a while ago. A chap I work with was in the Royal Observer Corps and used to spend days at a time locked up in them, any questions I can pick his brains.
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                      Lots of those shelters / OP's in the UK, I saw on for sale on eBay a while ago. A chap I work with was in the Royal Observer Corps and used to spend days at a time locked up in them, any questions I can pick his brains.
                      The one question that's been going around my head since I first learned about them is - during their operational days, were they often/ever vandalised?

They would seem to be a prime spot for vagrants, drunks & hoodlums - if unmanned for any length of time.

Comment

I don't think so, they are mainly on private land, in pretty remote (high up) locations. I'll ask Pete next week.

This crowd have a lot of information about them; http://www.subbrit.org.uk/category/n...nitoring-posts
                        Last edited by Flamingo; 17 February 2013, 00:00.

Comment

The one I was aware of was in the corner of a field about a mile out of town...you wouldn't have known what it was.

All you could see was what looked like a raised manhole and a vent or two.

Looked a bit like a sewage facility. The hatch was well secured with a big hardened steel padlock.

I must try and get down to take some pictures soon...my Mum still lives nearby.

Comment

Look at the link in my post, it has a searchable map with pictures and discriptions of each location

Comment

Cheers Flamingo...I think I've attached the photo from your link...

That paintings my handiwork
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by spider; 18 February 2013, 00:13.

Comment

Observer Corps flash

Comment

Working...
                                X