Thanks Thanks:  234
Likes Likes:  570
Dislikes Dislikes:  23
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    my thoughts exactly, it will be interesting to see what she finally goes for.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised at how much momentum this story has gained on the various Facebook pages. All contributors seem to think it's the government fault that this 37 year old hard worked ship made such a low price at public auction. Others insist it should have been handed over to whatever backwater port the contributor is from and by magic turned into a museum. Best one was from some dude who asserts that the new ships were a waste of money and the older ones could have been upgraded by Irish yards who do this work all the time.
    What yards?
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

3. Likes DeV, Sparky42, Shaqra, ias, GoneToTheCanner liked this post
    Dislikes ibenji disliked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    I'm surprised at how much momentum this story has gained on the various Facebook pages. All contributors seem to think it's the government fault that this 37 year old hard worked ship made such a low price at public auction. Others insist it should have been handed over to whatever backwater port the contributor is from and by magic turned into a museum. Best one was from some dude who asserts that the new ships were a waste of money and the older ones could have been upgraded by Irish yards who do this work all the time.
    What yards?
    Maybe the mistake was going back to the same cork based broker to sell the ship. Was there a competative tendering process used to appoint the company tasked with selling the ship in the first instance?

To be fair, it was probably a better return for the taxpayer when you consider that the last ship was effectively given to Malta and maintained until they decided to take her. We also put their crew up for a few weeks as well and probably threw in a couple of fuel refills while the learned to operate the ship in Cork harbour

5. Dislikes na grohmití, ias disliked this post
    Captain
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenji View Post
    Maybe the mistake...
    why the assumption that the price achieved was the result of some form of error?

knackered old warships are worth a pittance, steel is cheap amd these things are an absolute pig to recycle.

7. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Chief Casey Ryback
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it , the broker is taking a gamble with the advertised price , it may never reach it . Already they have the cost of the towing from Cork plus whatever berthing fees are incurred if they don't have their own yard /dock . Let's wait and see how much it will cost to bring her back into service and the selling price may turn out being a good deal .
    Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

9. Likes na grohmití, Sparky42, DeV, ias, hptmurphy liked this post
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibenji View Post
    To be fair, it was probably a better return for the taxpayer when you consider that the last ship was effectively given to Malta and maintained until they decided to take her. We also put their crew up for a few weeks as well and probably threw in a couple of fuel refills while the learned to operate the ship in Cork harbour
    Depends on your definition of 'return' IMO. I'd rather have my tax€ spent on providing a friendly nation with the means to secure themselves and save lives than getting a few 100k back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graylion View Post
    Depends on your definition of 'return' IMO. I'd rather have my tax€ spent on providing a friendly nation with the means to secure themselves and save lives than getting a few 100k back.

The AFM in return has provided logistical support to OP PONTUS, so a good deal all round in that respects.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A/TEL View Post
    The AFM in return has provided logistical support to OP PONTUS, so a good deal all round in that respects.
    Particularly when you consider they were part funded by the ECC in the first place. Of all the disposals I think Malta getting one was the best disposal.

13. Likes Sarsfield, Graylion, ias liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the auctioneers side of the story;

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...ship-1.3084113

15. Thanks DeV, ibenji thanked for this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's 36 years old; it is what it is, a pensioned off warship. If a Govt did take it on, it would have to consider the state of the machinery and it's suitabilty for tough seas like the Atlantic and the need to refit it's armament, comms, sensor fit and so on. this isn't like the dauphins or SF260s, which were sold for a song.

17. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    More from the auctioneer;

HOME»BREAKING NEWS»IRELAND
    Latest: Auctioneer who oversaw sale of LÉ Aisling claims Department of Defence told him to 'let it go'

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 12:26 pm
    Update 5.30pm: The auctioneer who oversaw the sale of the LÉ Aisling seven weeks ago has claimed he was instructed by the Department of Defence to take the deal.

Dominic Daly spoke to The Neil Prendeville Show on Cork’s Red FM this morning, and said that there are added costs to naval vessels after they are bought.

It comes after it was confirmed this evening that the State had to keep a skeleton crew assigned to the vessel even after it was decommissioned last year.
    That cost the state €370,000 in wages, and another €10,000 in tuggage fees.

The boat was sold in March, but its new Dutch owners have already put it back on the market at six times the price.

Mr Daly said: "The underlying reason why naval vessels don't attract money is that a naval vessel is not certified, it doesn't have papers.

"So the new owner, once he buys her, has to establish a port of registry and also to get classification. And that can be quite expensive."

He said that the man in Holland who bought the LÉ Aisling has at least €300,000 in costs to pay for, which accounts for his €685,000 price tag.

Mr Daly said: "He has to get registration... he will have to dry-dock it, get safety certificates, all sorts of certification and that doesn't come cheaply."

Mr Daly revealed that a lot of people turned up for the auction, but most of them didn't bid because of the expensive paperwork attached to the vessel.

He said: "They would have an understanding of what it would cost them. The vessel was perfectly good, but she had to be towed to Holland, because of the regulations, which doesn't make a lot of sense."

Neil Prendeville asked Mr Daly if it would have been a good idea to have put a reserve price on the LÉ Aisling, so that if the bids didn't reach that reserve price, the Department of Defence could have held onto the vessel.

Mr Daly said that was a matter for the department.

He said: "That wasn't in my realm at all. I conducted the auction, I then took an intermission and I spoke to department officials and they told me to let it go."

Earlier: The Deputy Mayor of Galway has hit out at the handling of the sale of the LÉ Aisling saying "we sold a ship for the price of a car".

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Sean O'Rourke, Fine Gael's Pearse Flannery said when it was being decommissioned as a naval vessel, he requested that the LÉ Aisling be gifted to the people of Galway as a floating museum.

He said the ship was twinned with the city of Galway and was berthed and docked in the city frequently.

He said they had numerous communications with the Department of Defence and they asked for a costed business plan, but Mr Flannery said the time-frame given to submit the plan was not sufficient and it became "an insurmountable task in that time-frame".

He said they had until the first week in September last year to submit the plan, otherwise it would not be considered by the Department of Defence.
    Last edited by danno; 16th May 2017 at 22:15.

19. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Earlier: The Deputy Mayor of Galway has hit out at the handling of the sale of the LÉ Aisling saying "we sold a ship for the price of a car".

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Sean O'Rourke, Fine Gael's Pearse Flannery said when it was being decommissioned as a naval vessel, he requested that the LÉ Aisling be gifted to the people of Galway as a floating museum.

He said the ship was twinned with the city of Galway and was berthed and docked in the city frequently.

He said they had numerous communications with the Department of Defence and they asked for a costed business plan, but Mr Flannery said the time-frame given to submit the plan was not sufficient and it became "an insurmountable task in that time-frame".

He said they had until the first week in September last year to submit the plan, otherwise it would not be considered by the Department of Defence.
    Suffice to say both the TD and the mayor are fcuking idiots who know nothing about Naval Vessels and even less about museums.

Any monies netted are in fact a profit as everything up to the point of sale was service , a 37 year old ship run to to the last and then maintained prior to disposal will have very little return and has paid for itself 10 times over....

I believe they did well to sell it at all, personally I wouldn't take a present of it knowing what it takes to even keep one running at minimal systems along side. Money Pit!!!
    Just visiting

21. Likes DeV, Shaqra, ias, na grohmití, Sarsfield liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is said that, as with having a share in a racehorse or a holiday flat on the Iberian peninsula, that the best two days you have with a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. The DoD are certainly getting lots of big days on this one.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can be sure that if it was "gifted" to Galway there would have been a begging letter to the Government to bail them out PDQ. While we may not like the price they got for it, it was the highest bid on offer. What's the betting it will end up like the Deirdre being scrapped.

Thread Information