Future of soon-to-be retired OPV's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of soon-to-be retired OPV's?

With two OPV's due to be retired within the coming years, what will happen to them after they are retired?

My sister and her family visited a NS ship during a recent open day and were informed that the two OPV's will be
    either -

A. Donated (sold?) to Somalia for pirate patrols,
    B. Sunk and used as diving wrecks.

Now while I agree with helping Somalia fight pirates, I dont agree with sinking one or both of the OPV's to be
    used as a diving wrecks?!

What I would suggest to the Minister is as follows -

A. Donate one OPV to Somalia
    B. Retain one OPV to be used as a floating museum/tourist attraction
    (as in the case of HMS Belfast on the Thames in London, or various similar 'museum ships/submarines' I visited
    in Sydney and Melbourne in 2004).

My 2 cents.
    IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

While museum ships are a noble idea, they cost a fortune to maintain, and after a while, footfall will reduce dramatically. Usually when more funding is required. The amount of museum ships that are currently facing the breakers is evidence of this. There is more museum ships being scrapped every year than there are ships becoming museum ships. Even the USN struggles to keep museum ships. Most good intentioned historic groups soon lose interest when the rising cost of maintenance comes round each year.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

It would be nice to keep one of them, especially as they were built in Ireland and the reality is, we're not going to see another ship built here.

But it's hard to argue with the economic reality that Goldie lays out - and I just can't see the money being made available for its upkeep.

Comment

somewhat ignominious perhaps - especially given that they'll be last ships built in Ireland - but does not at least one of them have a role as a (soon not to be) floating target?

Comment

Sinkex (well offshore)for one and dive wreck (inshore) for another.

regards
          GttC

Comment

Dive wreck for one, dismantle the other [here in Ireland].
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Is there a breakers yard in Ireland that could cope with ships?

Sinkex with what. The only people that could sink a ship would be a NS clearance diving team.

Oh yes we could sell them. Lotta of third world Navies buy this type of vessel psecifically. Bangladesh bought all the RNs Island and Castle class wich are not to dissimilar to the PVs.

Preservation is a waste of money and time as over time funding is withdrawn and the ships decline and become hazaradous and an embarrasment.Former crew relive their memories with the ship mates, not the ships.

Yes its nice to visit L.E. Emer and show your kids where you gave a week throwing up!
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                Is there a breakers yard in Ireland that could cope with ships?

Sinkex with what. The only people that could sink a ship would be a NS clearance diving team.

Oh yes we could sell them. Lotta of third world Navies buy this type of vessel psecifically. Bangladesh bought all the RNs Island and Castle class wich are not to dissimilar to the PVs.

Preservation is a waste of money and time as over time funding is withdrawn and the ships decline and become hazaradous and an embarrasment.Former crew relive their memories with the ship mates, not the ships.

Yes its nice to visit L.E. Emer and show your kids where you gave a week throwing up!
                If the range is great enough could they put 40/57/76mm into the waterline?

The 20mm surely must be able to depress that far?

Comment

Murph, if a 57 or 76 couldn't sink one, then they have no business being on a naval vessel! You don't need a proper shipyard to scrap them. Just tow them up the Shannon until they ground, as near as possible to Rathkeale and the "Alternative Lifestyle" crowd will reduce them to oil stains in short order, your Honour, Boss.

regards
                  GttC

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                    ...Sinkex with what...
                    57/76mm ships main armament?

PC-9M with rockets?

105mm Light Gun?

Javelin ATGW?

if the Irish military can't sink a 1000ton OPV that won't be shooting back, what was it planning to do if the Russians came looking to take Shannon?

Comment

Call the british QRF over?
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                        Call the british QRF over?
                        we've got rid of Sea Eagle - your problem now!

Comment

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                          57/76mm ships main armament?

PC-9M with rockets?

105mm Light Gun?

Javelin ATGW?

if the Irish military can't sink a 1000ton OPV that won't be shooting back, what was it planning to do if the Russians came looking to take Shannon?
                          And a barge full of .5s and GMGs imagine the craic that would be had with half the df shooting at it!
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Everybody it's talking about sinking the ships. Do they not have some residual value? Even if it only scrappage surely we could get something

Comment

Dismantling them here should not be a real problem, as I recall they are about the size of ocean going trawlers, I am sure a few of them have been taken apart here, current scrap prices make it worth while, if they were sold it would be at the same wasteful giveaway prices that the Dauphins and the AIII's went for, very easy to spend/waste other peoples money, ask any politican.
                              Last edited by Turkey; 14 May 2013, 17:32.
                              "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                              Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                              Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X