Future of soon-to-be retired OPV's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Medsailor View Post
    Finally allowed to post! So gents, as someone on the receiving end (of the ship and your comments!) here's my 5 cents worth.
    1. We are not a Navy and have never called ourselves such. We are the maritime component of the combined force that is the AFM.
    2. The ALIII on the deck of P61 in the picture is one of the airframes we bought from the Dutch Airforce for spares. It was embarked to allow our deck personnel to familiarise themselves with helo handling. The final results can be seen at http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...-at-sea.507602
    3. Despite the BS in the press, we are very happy with the Irish decision to transfer Aiofe to the AFM. We are not a coastal/inshore force, we regularly have to operated 200NM+ offshore which is no fun in 26-metre boats. Nor is embarking 450+ rescued persons on the helo deck of P61. So Aiofe fits the bill fine as far as we are concerned, at least until such time as a new and bespoke OPV (hopefully) comes on line in 4-5 years time.
    4. Despite being totally confused by Aiofe's cruiser stern (isn't the pointy bit at the front ??) we do actually know how to drive boats....
    Shes a good ship and if you treat her right we'll have her sister ship for you next year!

As a former member of the NS I can get a bit angsty when someone has a 'go' at what really are quite capable ships . I don't apologise for it but knowing the crews some present and past of these ships to have people decry the job they've done with these ships and worse undermines that they have done.

Rather than have her turned into a tourist attraction along some decaying quay side I would far prefer to see them end their days witha nation that has a real use for them. Even to see Nigeria re commission Emer pleased me no end.

I hope the whole thing works out and she gives you the quality of service for the time you need her as she gave here.

Will the 'Wicked Witch of the West ' become the Wicked Witch of the Med?

As for the stern, nicely rounded like any 36 year old womans arse should be
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• No intention of having a go at her, rather a bunch of appreciation for how well she has been looked after. We decommissioned our first boats in 2011 after 40 years of service and one of them (P24) is still giving rides to people at the San Diego Maritime Museum. So we have no problem with old despite what our press would have you believe.
      As for your explanation of cruiser sterns, priceless! Not sure my missus would get it though.

Comment

• The thing I see mostly in the (mostly ignorant) criticism of Aoife (pronounced EEEE(as in wii) Fa (as in hah) ) is that we have no more use for it, so why would it be any use to Malta.

We have no further use for it because our surrounding seas, for the majority of the year are no place for a ship of her size and age. You put your crew at unnecessary risk bouncing them about above and below deck for months at a time. We decided some years ago that the ships operating here needed to be 20m Longer. They handle the pitch of a wave better. Less slamming and rolling. They are still excellent seakeepers.
        You won't get these conditions in the Mediterranean though: Not in the Malta straits anyway.

It may be worth mentioning at this point that the Pilot boats in Malta were built and tested in Cork harbour.
        Here is them being Tested, inside the harbour.

Here is what someone has described as rough seas in the Med.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• I was told by a mate that the worst experience he ever had in a storm was on a PV going from Beiruit to Cyprus. He said that the PV reacted very badly to the short frequency of the waves in the Med compared with the longer distance between wave peaks in the Atlantic that she was designed for.

Just food for thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
            I was told by a mate that the worst experience he ever had in a storm was on a PV going from Beiruit to Cyprus. He said that the PV reacted very badly to the short frequency of the waves in the Med compared with the longer distance between wave peaks in the Atlantic that she was designed for.

Just food for thought.
            Point well taken. My experience covers North and Baltic seas and some of the Atlantic and I agree that the conditions in the Med with short, very steep waves can be very demanding. Speeds have to be reduced sharpish to avoid slamming. It will be interesting to see how the significantly larger draft (4.5 metres compared to just 2 metres for P61) and displacement (1000 tonnes vs 400) affect handling.

Comment

• Some footage of the NNS Prosperity (ex-LÉ Emer) being commissioned http://youtu.be/8Ie9yaWimLs?t=50m5s and from a little later in the same video a description of the ship http://youtu.be/8Ie9yaWimLs?t=54m25s which makes no reference to its origin.

I wonder would there have been any diplomatic contact between the Nigerians and the Irish government before hand?

Comment

• The Government was offered €500,000 for the LÉ Aoife naval vessel which was decommissioned two months ago, but the Department of Defence did not auction the vessel publicly and instead gave it to the Maltese government for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boreas View Post
                  Some footage of the NNS Prosperity (ex-LÉ Emer) being commissioned http://youtu.be/8Ie9yaWimLs?t=50m5s and from a little later in the same video a description of the ship http://youtu.be/8Ie9yaWimLs?t=54m25s which makes no reference to its origin.

I wonder would there have been any diplomatic contact between the Nigerians and the Irish government before hand?
                  Given it had been a private purchase , I doubt it
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Medsailor View Post
                    Point well taken. My experience covers North and Baltic seas and some of the Atlantic and I agree that the conditions in the Med with short, very steep waves can be very demanding. Speeds have to be reduced sharpish to avoid slamming. It will be interesting to see how the significantly larger draft (4.5 metres compared to just 2 metres for P61) and displacement (1000 tonnes vs 400) affect handling.
                    Many larger vessels being opertaed by larger navies, can't see there being an issue

Comment

• Does anyone know when the Aoife is due to head to Malta? The last thing I read said it was supposed to sail in May with a mixed Irish/Maltese crew. Times of Malta

Comment

• Originally posted by Boreas View Post
                        Does anyone know when the Aoife is due to head to Malta? The last thing I read said it was supposed to sail in May with a mixed Irish/Maltese crew. Times of Malta
                        Could be later this week. Port of cork have her next move as 26 June at 11.30am.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                          Could be later this week. Port of cork have her next move as 26 June at 11.30am.
                          Move to CDL

Comment

• Transfer of Aoife to Maltese Flag as P62

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                            Armed Forces of Malta (AFM). 31,498 likes · 6 were here. This is the official Facebook presence for the Armed Forces of Malta (AFM).

Comment

• Maltese flag raised this morning on Maltese Maritime Squadron P62, former LE Aoife.

Attached Files

Comment

• But they don't want it ..... They said no .....,

And other nonsense!

Comment

Working...
                                X