Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New Watch

Lower than a snakes balls Duffman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

New Watch

I'm in the market for a new time piece.

My Trusty G Shock Mud man of about 6 years is no more (Through my own fault as opposed to a failure of the watch). I'm very tempted to get a new version of the same watch.

Then this little beauty caught my eye...I chose to ignore the cheesey "stealthy secret mission" bullsh!t.

http://www.gshock.com/watches/Classic/GD350-8

Or else the Mudmans posery brother http://www.gshock.com/watches/Master_of_G/GW9000A-1

The atomic power of this isn't really a runner as I sync my time to what time I'm told as opposed to what time it is! But the solar power is deffo worth it. And it has the reliable mudman stamp.

Either way it has to be able to survive a good crawl through the mud.

Anyone tried either before?
    "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Non Temetis Messor The real Jack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wont last as long as a €100 watch but you'll be way less upset when it breaks/gets lost as it only costs €7.

Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

3. Likes DeV, SwiftandSure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What happened to your mudman?

I have a riseman with the atomic clock sync - you can still set the time manually, which deactivates the automatic sync with the atomic clock.

Flanders Pidgeon Murderer Captain Edmund Blackadder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/g-shock/g100-1bv/

2 and a half years of solid abuse, and bar a few scuff on the case, good as new. Simple as when functions are concerned, and the analog is a pain to set sometimes, but bar all that, good watch that performs when you need it to. If you shop around on ebay you can get a new one for €60.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

6. Likes kaiser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the market myself, however with a tendency towards nickel allergy, I need one with a strap that goes all around the wrist, with the silver bit not exposed to make contact with skin. Any ideas?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    My gshock is approaching a decade, the strap is held together with elastic but the core unit soldiers on, no sign of battery failure. That works out to €7 a year.
    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have the same watch as captain edmund have it 8 yrs it has a new strap thats it. it takes a lot of abuse and keeps goin

10. Likes Captain Edmund Blackadder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    meh.........g-shock, mudman, casio..........Bleurrggghh............soon there'll be an app for that!!

Lt Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    In the market myself, however with a tendency towards nickel allergy, I need one with a strap that goes all around the wrist, with the silver bit not exposed to make contact with skin. Any ideas?
    You can get adapters (a bit ugly) for some G-shocks so that they can take "NATO straps" - basically just a webbing strap that goes all the way round.

Have had my eye on GW5600 for a while, need a new watch after my cheap Vostok gave up.

Here's a bloke who just cuts a NATO strap to fit a GW5600: http://mywatchoftheday.blogspot.ie/p...ification.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Duffman,

What about a Suunto Vector HR? similarly rugged, loads of gadgets, military favourite and also has heart rate monitor for training.

The people of England have been led in Mesopotamia into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honour. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete.....It is a disgrace to our imperial record, and may soon be too inflamed for any ordinary cure.We are to-day not far from a disaster.

T.E. Lawrence, 2 Aug 1920.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think the Suunto may be too complicated for him........
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    I presume you had the old mudman if its 6 years old, try this lad http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/G-Shock/G9300-1/ survived recruit and 2* training, never left my wrist and not a mark on it, well worth the money IMO .....
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is the one I have. Very pleasantly surprised by the compass, if all else failed you could make it home by navving with it.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    recently got a G-shock myself. Model 3750, cost Eu 116 all in from a dealer on ebay, delivered in a few days. Tough as a boot.

regards
    GttC

Thread Information