Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Unmas

  1. #1
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unmas

    Army team on Sudan mission

    A small group of Defence Forces members are going on a mission to South Sudan with the United Nations.

    The army team will help to train local officials in how to locate and disarm landmines.

    Defence Minister Alan Shatter received Cabinet approval for the mission.

    The army group on mine action service will be include two captains, a commandant and a sergeant and will have engineering specialities.

    Meanwhile, the Government will today appoint a new Chief-of-Staff of the Defence Forces and a new Secretary General of the Department of Defence.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29390669.html

  2. Thanks DeV, Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  3. #2
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    How long is the trip?

  4. #3
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like
    at the moment its 6 months but has been delayed in it departure time
    two captains and the sgt are ordnance
    the comdt is engineers

  5. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  6. #4
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like
    also on a side very very strong rumours that were going to the Golan heights as atleast a company
    Last edited by kaiser; 3rd July 2013 at 19:58.

  7. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
  8. #5
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    also on a side very very strong rumours that were going to the Golan heights as atleast a company
    More than rumours, the Army is pushing hard to get an Inf Gp to UNDOF but the MfD prefers Mali.

  9. Likes DeV liked this post
  10. #6
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    More than rumours, the Army is pushing hard to get an Inf Gp to UNDOF but the MfD prefers Mali.
    I know its more than a rumour did you not see my "very very"
    mali on large number scale is a non runner as they want the irish to pay

  11. Likes DeV liked this post
  12. #7
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
    mali on large number scale is a non runner as they want the irish to pay
    Why wont the UN be paying?

  13. #8
    Closed Account
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    524
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think Mali will happen as the logs trail will be as difficult as Chad was.

    UNDOF could get very "interesting" if Syria doesnt get sorted and escalates

  14. #9
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Why wont the UN be paying?
    Isn't it an sub-contracted mission so to speak?

  15. #10
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Isn't it an sub-contracted mission so to speak?
    There is two missions in Mali, MINUSMA and the EUTM. If its MINUSMA the UN should reimburse the costs as they normally do.

  16. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  17. #11
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why did the Austrians pull out of the Golan Heights exactly?

  18. #12
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
    Why did the Austrians pull out of the Golan Heights exactly?
    Its due to the number of recent attacks on the peacekeeping force by the "Free Syrian Army". They have abducted Philippine troops on two occasions this year and held them as human shields. The MSR into the UN AO was recently overrun although soon retaken by Syrian government troops. A number of peacekeepers have been injured when their posts have been fired on.

    Croatian has already pulled its troops out and the Philippines said they will pull out by August if things don't change. Fiji is sending troops to replace the Croatians.
    Last edited by Rhodes; 4th July 2013 at 00:30. Reason: spelling

  19. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Fridge Magnet liked this post
  20. #13
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Its due to the number of recent attacks on the peacekeeping force by the "Free Syrian Army". They have abducted Philippine troops on two occasions this year and held them as human shields. The MSR into the UN AO was recently overrun although soon retaken by Syrian government troops. A number of peacekeepers have been injured when their posts have been fired on.

    Croatian has already pulled its troops out and the Philippines said they will pull out by August if things don't change. Fiji is sending troops to replace the Croatians.
    Ah right.

    Well, with the Leb downsizing it'll be good to see any other trip opening up.

  21. #14
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
    Ah right.

    Well, with the Leb downsizing it'll be good to see any other trip opening up.
    is it likely though?

    if the Croatians, Philippino's and Austrians are ditching the mission because its all getting a bit hairy, is it really a runner?

    in operational terms, wouldn't Mali be better, more challenging job?

  22. #15
    BQMS
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    is it likely though?

    if the Croatians, Philippino's and Austrians are ditching the mission because its all getting a bit hairy, is it really a runner?

    in operational terms, wouldn't Mali be better, more challenging job?
    Oh without a doubt, I'd bite someone's bollocks off for Mali to open up. It's the kind of step forward we should've taken once we finished up in Chad.

    However, at this stage, it's really a case of beggars can't be choosers.

  23. Thanks ropebag, DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
  24. #16
    Commandant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,855
    Post Thanks / Like
    so does anyone know the reasoning behind the difference in view between the Army wanting UNDOF on the Golan, and the Minister of State wanting Mali - if indeed that is the case?

    slightly tangentally - to my disgust, the Daily Heil appears to be correct with regards to Libya. 4 Mech (the Bde i'm co-located with) have been warned off for a Bn sized all arms training/force protection job. apparently we are 'actively seeking partners' at the mo, so don't be surprised if you get an email inviting you to one of the worlds top shitholes...

  25. #17
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    is it likely though?

    if the Croatians, Philippino's and Austrians are ditching the mission because its all getting a bit hairy, is it really a runner?

    in operational terms, wouldn't Mali be better, more challenging job?
    See post #1948 for info on Mali.
    http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ht=#post397898
    It looks likely the numbers going to Mali will be very small.

    There is already a number of Irish troops in the Golan both with UNDOF and UNTSO so I cant see the Government having any problems with a larger Irish contingent.
    The Golan would be a challenging with its climate and altitude as well as the dangers from the Syrian civil war.

  26. #18
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    See post #1948 for info on Mali.
    http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...ht=#post397898
    It looks likely the numbers going to Mali will be very small.

    There is already a number of Irish troops in the Golan both with UNDOF and UNTSO so I cant see the Government having any problems with a larger Irish contingent.
    The Golan would be a challenging with its climate and altitude as well as the dangers from the Syrian civil war.
    Well if other countries are pulling out for FP reasons that could be enough to block it.

    What the DF needs is a blue hatted UN mission (for funding reasons), with a robust mandate (for morale and FP reasons) that we can deploy a battalion/battalion group to.

  27. Likes ropebag liked this post
  28. #19
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ropebag View Post
    so does anyone know the reasoning behind the difference in view between the Army wanting UNDOF on the Golan, and the Minister of State wanting Mali - if indeed that is the case?
    I don't know the reasoning behind it but we now know the UN wont need an Infantry Group or Battalion from us. My guess would be the Army didn't want to get large amounts of equipment wrecked if an Infantry Battalion was sent to Mali knowing the Government would not fund replacements. The Golan would be more equipment friendly with the UN supplying most of it. AFAIK the UN supply all the Sisu APCs and most of the other transport used by UNDOF.
    Last edited by Rhodes; 4th July 2013 at 20:46.

  29. Thanks ropebag, Turkey, DeV thanked for this post
  30. #20
    Sergeant Major
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    959
    Post Thanks / Like
    our lads touched down in south sudan last week
    good luck to them and a safe trip

  31. Thanks pym, terrier thanked for this post
    Likes Come-quickly, Truck Driver, Turkey liked this post
  32. #21
    Brigadier General
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Chol Mayomdit (left), an officer with the South Sudan National Police Service (SSNPS), and a Member of the Irish Defence Forces conduct the controlled detonation of an unexploded ordnance (UXO).

    UNMAS, with the Irish Defence Forces and United Nations Police, leads an UXO disposal initiative at the site of a primary school in Rajaf, South Sudan."

    Attached Images Attached Images

  33. Thanks Turkey thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Goldie fish, Turkey liked this post
  34. #22
    Sergeant Major B Inman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    873
    Post Thanks / Like
    S-Sudan mob kills UN peacekeepers
    Less than three years after its creation, the world's newest country is beginning to fracture and some are warning that ethnic cleansing could follow.
    South Sudan's numerous ethnic groups have battled each other for decades, but for years their animosity was united in hatred of the government in Khartoum, Sudan, the country's former capital.
    When the south gained independence in 2011, the groups' common enemy receded, exposing the fault lines - even among the presidential guard this week.
    In the latest outrage armed youths breached a UN compound in Jonglei state yesterday, causing an unknown number of casualties, including the three Indian peacekeepers.
    Read more
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-29854995.html

  35. Thanks Turkey, danno thanked for this post
  36. #23
    Moderator DeV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    21,295
    Post Thanks / Like

  37. Thanks Flamingo thanked for this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •