No announcement yet.

Defence forces Deployment to UNDOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd be inclined to bring them home, as quite simply, given the nature of whom you are dealing with, it's a thankless job when the UN are too weak to do anything and the US will veto anything that might be considered to be against Israel and both sides have shown that they will shoot at or kidnap UN personnel when it suits them. If they have to be kept there, then give them every Javelin in stores and anything else that can even the odds. If not, you are just making potential victims of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
      Its in Syria, about 80% of the Syrian Golan has been under Israeli occupation since 1967. Camp Ziouani is in the Israeli occupied area.
      Whats the story on the camp that was abandoned,was it pulled down prior to departure or was it handed over to the Syrian regulars,hardly offered up to the ISIS cuthroats.

Comment

• UNDOF rotation being discussed at Cabinet today, statement expected

Comment

• So the Israeli's have shot down a Syrian jet over the Golan. First such shoot-down in 30 years apparently. With a predictable response.

Shootdown & celebratory AK-47 fire. http://youtu.be/z7YM8hwwwco

The Americans are bombing Al-Nusra camps in Syria, the same guys who are active in the Irish/UN AO.

If some strong back up on the ground isn't on the cards, get out of dodge.
          Last edited by pym; 23 September 2014, 13:46.

Comment

• Irish peacekeepers to continue in Golan Heights

Comment

• Brave call by the minister or stupid depending on your point of view
              I would have pulled the plug and abandoned the mission if I was him
              might came back to haunt Him of god forbid there is incident

Comment

• Cusack and come of his journo colleagues reckon that it is policy that to bring in anything remotely heavy, Javs included, might inflame the situation and encourage the rebels to attack the UN, with a view to seizing such weapons.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  Cusack and come of his journo colleagues reckon that it is policy that to bring in anything remotely heavy, Javs included, might inflame the situation and encourage the rebels to attack the UN, with a view to seizing such weapons.
                  Really... I'm glad we abandonned that philosophy in the 90s... I turned down a UNMO tour (UNTSO) in 2012 because the position was unarmed. I hate going to a gunfight with a knife.
                  "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle View Post
                    Really... I'm glad we abandonned that philosophy in the 90s... I turned down a UNMO tour (UNTSO) in 2012 because the position was unarmed. I hate going to a gunfight with a knife.
                    Knifes aren't allowed either...
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• UN ROEs read "contributing nations may not arm themselves with anything more than a sharpened pencil."
                      True story

Comment

• Originally posted by F_M View Post
                        UN ROEs read "contributing nations may not arm themselves with anything more than a sharpened pencil."
                        True story
                        The pen is mightier than the sword.
                        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Cusack told the readership of the Sindo today that the UNSG says that Israel did aid UNDOF

How?

Well the article tells us...... The Israelis were firing retaliatory fire (oh and the rounds were falling within 100m of the UN positions.
                          Last edited by DeV; 28 September 2014, 17:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Cusack told the readership of the Sindo today that the UNSG says that Israel did aid UNDOF

How?

Well the article tells us...... The Israelis were firing retaliatory fire (oh and the rounds were falling within 100m of the UN positions.
                            Here is this Sunday's instalment of bullshit from Jim Cusack.
                            The United Nations has confirmed that Israeli forces did come to the assistance of Irish UN troops who were caught in a fierce fire fight in the Golan Heights last month.

Now he's claiming that Irish troops were "besieged" as well.
                            I've read the full UNSG's report that Cusack clams confirms that the Israelis came to the assistance of Irish troops, however no where in the report does it mention this.

Here is a like to the report.
                            Last edited by Rhodes; 28 September 2014, 19:32.

Comment

• Yet, as is clear by the comments, the average Indo reader laps it all up.

Don't buy the indo folks. It is to the Public sector, i.e the Defence Forces, what the Sun is to Liverpool.
                              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• From RTE.

Lt Gen O’Boyle said the fighting around the Golan Heights where Irish troops are based had calmed down considerably.

He said reports that Israeli forces "rescued" Irish troops were not true but the Israelis continued to co-operate with the Irish as expected
                                The Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces has said there is no reason why soldiers, sailors or air crew should be sleeping in cars.

Comment

Working...
                                X